What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Which "establishment" mate, the Democrats?

Please, you have a conclusion here based upon a falsehood, explained by a myth.
There's is an entire swathe of the Republican party actively opposing him. If you think he's business as usual you don't understand the business.

Bandwagon

Staff member
There's is an entire swathe of the Republican party actively opposing him. If you think he's business as usual you don't understand the business.

And there is a whole swathe that are welded to him, so what gives?

Perhaps the hivemind isn't what it used to be, or perhaps it never was.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Oh, and I should add, I haven't laid claim to Trump being business as usual, clearly there's been changes. But it most definitely is the same business, he's just changed a few of the rules to suit.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I operate in facts. This is no joke.
Talcum powder is your new best friend.
Lucky I’m a soft c**k office worker that can go from an air conditioned house, to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned office. Early mornings and evenings are amazing and the best time to brave the elements. Still making a trip to Chemist Warehouse tomorrow though...

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Oh, and I should add, I haven't laid claim to Trump being business as usual, clearly there's been changes. But it most definitely is the same business, he's just changed a few of the rules to suit.
This.

It’s just a different type of swamp.

crocodile

Bench
I have had a few clients who have been impacted and lost jobs. But I suspect that companies are being advantageous in difficult times. If ANZ Bank announced 2,500 job cuts in normal times, there would be a huge brouhaha. But during covid, merkins just let it go through to the keeper. Call me a cynic, but I reckon there's a bit of that going on.

Also there was jobseeker which was double the normal dole and came with zero accountability. I reckon there have been a few non-workers who registered for unemployment just to get the cash because they didn't have tp front up to centrelink and apply for jobs. IIRC it's called disguised unemployment - something about merkins who would like a job but it's not imperative and merkins who have given up. @crocodile will need to add more to that. He know his shit.

There are still many many businesses receiving jobkeeper 2.0 and it will be interesting what happens when that finishes in March.

I agree with you however, my business has not really been impacted and remains pretty strong.

I don't think I know in fine detail. If I understand what you're saying it is that unemployed people that had not registered for benefits quickly applied because the rate was increased. I have no statistics for this but it sounds reasonable. Why wouldn't they. This cohort affects the participation rate. Quite an important measure as it inexorably affects the unemployment figures. I always have a chuckle when our dear leaders smirk over improved unemployment figures without refence to the participation rate. In time, as the figures come out we may well see a rise in participation in which case your hunch may have some merit.

Military spending has increased under Trump, seems they need not have wars to turn a profit.

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-military-budget-components-challenges-growth-3306320

Wars turn a profit in more ways than just dropping bombs. Human trafficking is another way, as is resource acquisition and other grabby-grabby tactics that come after Balkanisation.

"Hey, Admiral, here's $100k to look the other way while this particular ship sails right past you." and stuff.

"Hey, everyone, where did Gaddafi's billions in gold disappear to?" no one really asked...

Well, if the business we see Joe running is using your position to enrich your family (and we can look at The Clinton Foundation here, too) then I don't see Trump running this same business.

Speaking of the Clintons, if the business is Iran-Contra through your state of Arkansas (or anything similar through any other state you might govern) then I don't see Trump doing that, either. The Bushes were in Iran-Contra, too.

Now, Trump might get some benefit once his time is up but that will be in legitimate business where you don't screw the country you are supposed to be serving. It's not sending your junkie son to run as a bagman with the dirtiest criminals in the world. It's not selling your country's uranium so those purchasers can donate to your private "Foundation". It's not running coke while you're head of the CIA and Vice-President.

Big difference and I don't see Trump doing it.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Well, if the business we see Joe running is using your position to enrich your family (and we can look at The Clinton Foundation here, too) then I don't see Trump running this same business.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Troll better mate, cause that there is f**king funny as f**k!

Bandwagon

Staff member
Which part? Are you disputing the Biden stuff or implying Trump is using his kids as bagmen?

If Hunters dad was Joe Bootin from butt f**k county Arkansas, he'd be either dead or in jail, or maybe both. There's no doubt Hunter has and does benefit from being the son of ex VP Biden.

Just as there is no doubt Trump is leveraging his position to enrich himself and his family in such an overt manner that it's impossible for me to see that anyone with more than half a brain claiming he isn't can be doing anything but trolling, or having a laugh.

Gronk

Staff member
The defence minster was grilled by our PM in waiting yesterday. Seriously what is the f**king point of spending 100 billion on a fleet of subs that will operational in 2050.

Latest posts