What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 tries and a field goal to beat the back to back premiers is not a big performance?

Followed by 2 try assists and 100% of his goals to put us into a grand final from his boot.

His kicking game might not look fancy. But it helped us get those 2 close wins with less possession. His kicking against Souths managed to limit a team with 55% of the ball to making 100 less run metres than the team with 45% of the ball.

These weren't Thurston or Joey like displays of God amongst men. But they were pretty big performances still.

No, I don’t include week 1 as being the big stage. Knockout games or origin. He played pretty well against Souths but it wasn’t dominant.

You’re being paid the big bucks you have to dominate the big occasions. All I’m saying is it’s something he needs to improve on.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think we may be blaming the wrong Cleary.

Ive largely stayed away from here during the finals for no reason other than just to keep my thoughts to myself i guess.

We were all desperate to win the GF but we fell short, beaten by a better side.

There is no reason whatsoever to dissect and find criticism in Nathan or Villiame or anyone who underperformed on the day.

We just didn’t play to our best as a team, the coaching staff must shoulder some of the blame around the selection of the starting 13 but at the end of the day they were too good on the night, our mistakes and misfortune killed us.

I don’t see any need to criticise or crucify individuals it is what it is.

We all enjoyed the ride, it was fantastic and I was proud to be part of our first grand final in 17 years even if the final result and performance was not what we had wanted.

The biggest failing by the players overall was definitely the errors, the same thing happened against Souths but it was even worse this game.

Maybe the team didn’t prepare properly, I dunno. But they’ve got to evaluate what went wrong, we weren’t the same team in the finals.

WestyLife

First Grade
I’d give him a 5, so we aren’t far apart. But 5-6 is his worst game of the year.

I guess. He's probably been higher through the regular season between say 8 - 10. Still with the team so off that game I can't see many halfbacks dominating.

I think we may be blaming the wrong Cleary.

Ive largely stayed away from here during the finals for no reason other than just to keep my thoughts to myself i guess.

We were all desperate to win the GF but we fell short, beaten by a better side.

There is no reason whatsoever to dissect and find criticism in Nathan or Villiame or anyone who underperformed on the day.

We just didn’t play to our best as a team, the coaching staff must shoulder some of the blame around the selection of the starting 13 but at the end of the day they were too good on the night, our mistakes and misfortune killed us.

I don’t see any need to criticise or crucify individuals it is what it is.

We all enjoyed the ride, it was fantastic and I was proud to be part of our first grand final in 17 years even if the final result and performance was not what we had wanted.

Some of us find comfort in discussing it.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Im a pessimist normally. Thinking about how we could or should have done better. Yes there's things we could have changed where we maybe win the premiership

But f**k did we ever overachieve or what. On paper that Storm side was better in most positions. We had question marks on positions before a ball was kicked.

Honestly this team was amazing. We set a record winning streak. We made a grand final. We made everyone hate us because we were consistently winning. All season we lost 2 games for a combined 12 points. Literally our worst result is losing by a try. It's insane.

My thoughts exactly. I personally had almost forgotten what it was like to lose. Melbourne played very very well. I don't believe many teams would have even get close to them.

Penrith lost by 6 points only.

I am so proud of how well they did.

Even with the knowledge that Barrett was leaving at the end of the year. The team and coaching staffs GAVE THEIR ALL. As a member I can't ask for anything more.

I guess. He's probably been higher through the regular season between say 8 - 10. Still with the team so off that game I can't see many halfbacks dominating.

But we were well in the game for the first 25-30 mins, by failing to convert that field position into points it made it almost impossible to come back.

franklin2323

Immortal
Kikau was making mistakes, and we were chasing points. It doesn’t matter how other teams use their bench, you need to respond to what’s happening in front of you.

A team leading 26-0 is not going to use their bench in the same way as a team chasing, at least it shouldn’t play out like that.

It’s like Ivan had a predetermined plan on how to use the bench and he wouldn’t budge no matter what.

Yeah but it is a catch 22. If you want points Kikau should be on the field. As bad as he was it is still crazy to have him off when chasing points

franklin2323

Immortal
Nathan has never lost an Origin series and has won more than 50% of his finals games.

He has 5 tries in 9 finals matches for a 55.56% win rate.. He was dissapointing in the grand final but everything was going against us and he just wasnt good enough to turn things around in his first grand final. It's not an experience you can prepare for. Its one you need to learn from.

Mitchell Pearce has 6 tries in 16 finals matches... And only a 50% finals win rate despite most of his career being spent in a star studded line up. Oh and his origin record is losing more series than any half ever. Unlosable games were lost.

Tries don't tell the story though. Cleary scored against a tiring side with 11 players on the weekend. 2/3 of the tries v Roosters came from other players.

It is a team game granted plenty played bad but never once in the finals were we in control. Compare that to his regular season form.

Restart sets is what he did well during the season. That was non existant in the finals

Fangs

Coach
My problem with Cleary in the finals series wasn't his big blunders (miss on Pap, intercept). It was his game management.

His kicking game and ability to build pressure in the opposition 20 went to shit. Errors certainly did cruel us but we moved away from what has worked well all year. Repeat sets, build pressure. The whole side including Nathan seemed to play a frenzied style of football.

No one predicted 26-0 to Melbourne. There was a sureness about the team this year that left us when it mattered most. We used to never concede points first. It must be a mistake that we learn from.

Whino

Bench
James Tamou headlines a group of six players who have parted ways with Panthers following the conclusion of the 2020 NRL season.

The departing Tamou is joined by Jack Hetherington, Caleb Aekins, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Pat Hollis and Brayden McGrady.

Tamou is headed to Wests Tigers, while Jack Hetherington has signed with the Bulldogs and Caleb Aekins will join Canberra Raiders.

"This has been an extraordinary season for Panthers and each one of these players contributed to that success," Panthers General Manager Rugby League Matt Cameron said.

"From the leadership of James Tamou, to the on-field exploits of Jack, Caleb and Malakai, and the enthusiasm of Pat and Brayden at training, we are grateful for their contributions to our club.

"Regardless of whether they were in the team each week, they sacrificed their personal freedoms to live in our NRL bubble for the best part of six months.

"We thank them for their service to Panthers and wish them all the best with their future endeavours."

No surprises there. Maybe MWZ should head to the Bulldogs :D they seem to have a liking for our players. Bought not bred.

Shame McGrady had a bad run with injuries. Pat Hollis too. He always had a go and kept trying.
I assume Dean Blore is gone too?
Throw in mid season departures of Cartwright , Ellis and Shawn Blore and we have lost a few members of our top 30 this year.
A few juniors will enter and maybe a few minor purchases.

franklin2323

Immortal
Gosh or gosh this forum hosts some nasayers. The team came 2nd overall after loosing (narrowly) the grandfinal.

After reading some of the posts I felt sure I'd slept through the season and Penrith didn't make the 8.

Where did anyone say it wasn't a good year? The aim is too get better. So it is a discussion on how to do that

franklin2323

Immortal
My problem with Cleary in the finals series wasn't his big blunders (miss on Pap, intercept). It was his game management.

His kicking game and ability to build pressure in the opposition 20 went to shit. Errors certainly did cruel us but we moved away from what has worked well all year. Repeat sets, build pressure. The whole side including Nathan seemed to play a frenzied style of football.

No one predicted 26-0 to Melbourne. There was a sureness about the team this year that left us when it mattered most. We used to never concede points first. It must be a mistake that we learn from.

That is how I see it too. They all lost their head those 2 mistakes were forced from not doing the basics right

Status
Not open for further replies.