What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
All signs have been good since Payten took over.

A good rookie would be nice.

Sure you cannot buy a union back?

One Warrior

Bench
That's a shame, I was hoping they'd re-sign him.

Blair, Keighran, Burr, Papali'i, Vuniyayawa, Milne, Ravutaumada, Beale, Pulu, Roache, Herbert, have I missed anyone out?
Thats's quite a clear out so far

Aitkins, Evans, BMM and AFB in. 11 out (not including the loan players departing), 4 in, plus I imagine a number of juniors will be promoted and Nikorima mk II if he impresses

Certainly an intersting off-season
Also Paasi to be confirmed leaving, going to St Helens, once he secures the necessary visas etc.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
2018 top try scorer and the 2019 Dally M winger.........not bad for a couple of limited wingers.

Honestly, who gives a f**k about the Dally M's?

The things they do they do well, but neither of them has close to a complete game worthy of spending close to a mil of our cap on.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Wouldn't shock me. Good player but grossly overpaid. Both he and Ken combined are on between 900k-1mil reportedly.

Two limited wingers for 1mil is a horribly unbalanced way to build a roster.

With Fus being the higher paid of the two it wouldn't shock me at all purely for financial reasons, especially after there was no noticeable drop off in performance once they both left mid season.

If it's $900k combined, is $450k per player really that much with the salary cap as it exists in 2020? Yeah, Fus has lost form...but he's a very talented guy who we need to back to get back to his best form. And Ken might be 'limited' but he's still a hell of an asset with his metre eating and his finishing/defensive work gets better year on year. With our history of failing to develop players, I don't think you can justify tossing guys away that quickly.

If you're saying there was no noticeable drop off, well maybe based on recent form for Fus in particular. But Herbert is gone, Pompey is far from a superstar and there's no one else particularly literally waiting in the wings. And nor did we did win 50% of our games without those guys, so you'd hope they'd come back in and contribute more.

Leber

Bench
We have signed 4 players and released 11.

If there are any injuries we wont be able to field a team.

LeagueNut

First Grade
The extended silly season starts today - players who are off contract after 2021 can be approached. The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting we'll be making an offer to Jahrome Hughes.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
The extended silly season starts today - players who are off contract after 2021 can be approached. The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting we'll be making an offer to Jahrome Hughes.

I'd be happy with Hughes, but I'd like to know what our plan is with the halves.

We've got two players (Nikorima and CTH) who are more off the cuff, running halves. Who would be look at pairing Hughes with? Does Hughes have the game were looking for - haven't seen much of the Storm this year, I'd have thought we were looking for a half with a kicking game that can steer a team around the park.

Nikorima also off contract at the end of nek year too I believe

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Kodi has a Blair deal. Player option for 2022 in his favour.

Hughes would be an upgrade on Kodi defensively at least.

Not sure what the plan is long term. Hard to tell at this point.

LeagueNut

First Grade
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...arriors-as-other-clubs-can-start-negotiations

NRL: Re-signing Tohu Harris top priority for Warriors as other clubs can start negotiations

If there’s one player coming off contract next year that the Warriors must re-sign, it’s Tohu Harris.

The Warriors have nine players in the last year of their current deals in 2021 and it’s Harris who tops that list.

An important deadline past at the weekend, with players not contracted beyond next season able to negotiate with other clubs after November 1.

Every NRL would be keen to have a player the quality of Harris on their books and the 28-year-old will be key to the Warriors’ future success.

Stuff understands talks have started between Harris and the club, but because of the uncertainty due the Covid-19 pandemic the forward isn’t in a rush to finalise a deal.

The Warriors are already planning to spend some, if not all of next season based in Australia and at this stage no one can guarantee that they’ll have to do the same again in 2022.

With a young family, Harris, who is anticipated to win the Simon Mannering Medal on Wednesday, understandably would like to know how things pan out before locking in his future and while rival NRL clubs can start talking to him, the Warriors will no doubt do everything they can to retain him.

On Sunday, the Sun Herald reported that the Warriors are planning to make a play for Kiwi international Jahrome Hughes, who’s current contract comes to an end at the end of 2021.

Hughes was a revelation switching from fullback to halfback at the Storm this year and his manager, Chris Orr has made it clear that he wants to test the market.

The Sunday Telegraph has reported that Hughes is being shopped throughout the NRL, with Orr wanting to double his current salary of $350,000 a season.

Orr appears to be using the media to bump up the value of the 26-year-old Wellingtonian, but the Warriors would only chase Hughes if they lost Kodi Nikorima.

Nikorima has an option in his favour for the 2022 season and if he decides to leave, then Hughes is an obvious target.

Hughes would be a good fit at the Warriors. Like Nikorima, he’s a right-sided player, so a ready made replacement, he is a Kiwi, so would enjoy being back in New Zealand and he has a style of play that would fit well with Harris-Tavita.

However, the Warriors are a long way off making an offer to Hughes and there wouldn’t be one coming until it became evident that Nikorima wanted out at the end of next season.

The other Warriors players coming off contract at the end of 2021 are Bunty Afoa, Leeson Ah Mau, Josh Curran, Jackson Frei, Karl Lawton, Hayze Perham, Adam Pompey and Jazz Tevaga.

The Warriors told Afoa they’d give him a release at the end of this season, which he turned down, so it’s unlikely he’ll be offered a new contract.

The Warriors will want to see how the 30-year-old Ah Mau plays after missing most of this season because of a ruptured pectoral muscle.

Curran saw just 60 minutes of action this, so like Frei will have a lot to prove next year.

Pompey and Perham will find it harder to get game time next season when Ken Maumalo and David Fusitu’a are back in the team and Euan Aitken is at the club.

Lawton established himself as the Warriors’ first choice hooker last season, but it’s unknown whether new coach Nathan Brown will prefer Wayde Egan.

As for Tevaga, he was one of the Warriors’ most improved players in 2020, but Harris could revert back to lock next year, taking his starting spot.

So for all but Harris, decision on offering new contracts won’t be happening for a while yet, while the club continues to look for another half for the 2021 squad.

Jayden Nikorima, Kodi’s younger brother who played for the Roosters in 2016, is on a train and trial deal with the Warriors, so is a way off being part of the Warriors squad just yet.

He hasn’t played top level footy for four years, but the club believe he’s worth taking a look at.

He has made the trip back to New Zealand, is going through his 14 days in managed isolation and will be out in time for preseason training.

However, another option could be that Warriors sign Sean O’Sullivan, who has previously played for the Roosters and Broncos.

Warriors players coming off contract at the end of 2021

Bunty Afoa
Leeson Ah Mau
Josh Curran
Jackson Frei
Tohu Harris
Karl Lawton
Kodi Nikorima (has a player option for 2022)
Hayze Perham
Adam Pompey
Jazz Tevaga

Rich102

Staff member
I am sad to see him go. Thought he and CHT could go well together.
With our lack of depth in the halves, unless we are buying a class half, this could bite us in the bum.
I can see us paying too much for Nikorima Mk II.

Big Marn

Juniors
I am sad to see him go. Thought he and CHT could go well together.
With our lack of depth in the halves, unless we are buying a class half, this could bite us in the bum.
I can see us paying too much for Nikorima Mk II.
Yeh, i cant follow the logic either. Are the Warriors saying that Nikorima and CHT are indestructible in the most violent competition in the world? Wheres the depth?