What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erin Molan

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I moved last year to Melbourne, and the only thing I miss of living in Auckland are my family and friends

Why did I move? Simple fact that I got offered more money to do the same job. To rent a house that's the same size as the one in Auckland, for considerably cheaper.

Pay less on rent, earn more money. No brainer.

Certainly, some things over here are more expensive than in New Zealand but, well, let's put it this way. In NZ, my wife and I (and our child) couldn't 'get ahead', in fact could barely keep our head above water there to the point that we lived with my parents, and then my in-laws. Over here, for 4 months, we survived on just my salary (providing for me, my wife, my child and sister in law) alone.

Now my sister in law has returned to NZ (Couldn't get work due to the pandemic) and my wife got lucky enough to have a job. We are doing MUCH better than we could have dreamed. I've managed to actually treat myself to things that I couldn't over there (ie build a new computer) and home ownership is becoming less of a dream, and something that we're planning out and will likely turn into a reality within the next 2 years.

The weather in general has been nicer over here, there are more job opportunities here should I look to change roles, heck we are even driving nicer cars than we did there.

Now that restrictions are easing, I'm looking forward to exploring more of what Melbourne has to offer.
interesting to hear that rent is cheaper in Melbourne then Auckland, tbh I would have assumed the opposite just because well, Melbourne.

I'm a homeowner up in Sydney and the interest rates are plummeting, definitely a good time to get in if you can and start paying off your loan with an interest rate in the low 2%'s

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
interesting to hear that rent is cheaper in Melbourne then Auckland, tbh I would have assumed the opposite just because well, Melbourne.

I'm a homeowner up in Sydney and the interest rates are plummeting, definitely a good time to get in if you can and start paying off your loan with an interest rate in the low 2%'s

To be fair, I'm not situated in the city as such.

I went from living in West Auckland, to about 35-40mins out from the CBD of Melbourne (again west side).

There are parts of Melbourne, especially within the CBD, and the eastern suburbs which are expensive. It's all about knowing where to go, doing the research before the move.

As silly as it sounds, given what Melbourne have gone through recently, but now is actually a great time to buy here if it's doable, markets gone a bit crazy with everything. Pretty much it's become a priority of ours now, get on that ladder!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Auckland is mental for property prices. Probably even worse than Sydney once you take incomes into account.

JJ

Immortal
I suspect we'll see a further 'brain drain' over the coming years - property prices increasing faster than ever, low wages, general Covid recovery etc... tempered by the fact that jobs will be in short supply everywhere... in my field, salaries about 15% higher in Straya, plus 17-ish% super, more affordable housing, lower (I think) tax... if only I was young and promising... lol

TheDMC

Bench
I moved last year to Melbourne, and the only thing I miss of living in Auckland are my family and friends

The weather in general has been nicer over here, there are more job opportunities here should I look to change roles, heck we are even driving nicer cars than we did there.

Now that restrictions are easing, I'm looking forward to exploring more of what Melbourne has to offer.

Great to hear its working out for you.

Matua

Bench

Why did I move? Simple fact that I got offered more money to do the same job. To rent a house that's the same size as the one in Auckland, for considerably cheaper.

Pay less on rent, earn more money. No brainer.

Certainly, some things over here are more expensive than in New Zealand but, well, let's put it this way. In NZ, my wife and I (and our child) couldn't 'get ahead', in fact could barely keep our head above water there to the point that we lived with my parents, and then my in-laws. Over here, for 4 months, we survived on just my salary (providing for me, my wife, my child and sister in law) alone.

Now my sister in law has returned to NZ (Couldn't get work due to the pandemic) and my wife got lucky enough to have a job. We are doing MUCH better than we could have dreamed. I've managed to actually treat myself to things that I couldn't over there (ie build a new computer) and home ownership is becoming less of a dream, and something that we're planning out and will likely turn into a reality within the next 2 years.

Awesome that the move has worked out for you, but what kind of weather do you like? I love visiting Melbourne, but the winter is reminiscent of Palmy/Welly/Chch moreseo than the mild in comparison Auckland winters. It does give me a chance to wear my think jackets that just sit in my wardrobe in Sydney when I'm down there (pre-covid I was probably down there three weeks a year for work and then at least a couple of trips for pleasure.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I suspect we'll see a further 'brain drain' over the coming years - property prices increasing faster than ever, low wages, general Covid recovery etc... tempered by the fact that jobs will be in short supply everywhere... in my field, salaries about 15% higher in Straya, plus 17-ish% super, more affordable housing, lower (I think) tax... if only I was young and promising... lol

The issue is those factors are going to be in play everywhere else too. COVID has affected most other countries and economies worse than NZ, so I'm not sure a ton more people are going to be heading OS for work. The usual drain to Aus will ebb and flow but that's largely always going to be the case I think. Australia got lucky with the resources boom, NZ just doesn't have to good fortune to have enormous reserves of minerals to dig up and flog.

JJ

Immortal
The issue is those factors are going to be in play everywhere else too. COVID has affected most other countries and economies worse than NZ, so I'm not sure a ton more people are going to be heading OS for work. The usual drain to Aus will ebb and flow but that's largely always going to be the case I think. Australia got lucky with the resources boom, NZ just doesn't have to good fortune to have enormous reserves of minerals to dig up and flog.
Yeah hard to predict how this will pan out

But we have a lot of natural resources to dig and flog, just chose not to

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah hard to predict how this will pan out

But we have a lot of natural resources to dig and flog, just chose not to

nowhere near the level of what Australia has though. Plus Australia had the advantage that most of their big mineral deposits are way out in the desert where digging massive big holes doesn’t bother anyone much or wreck bits of the environment that anyone much cares about.

JJ

Immortal
nowhere near the level of what Australia has though. Plus Australia had the advantage that most of their big mineral deposits are way out in the desert where digging massive big holes doesn’t bother anyone much or wreck bits of the environment that anyone much cares about.
Yep but there are riches in useless land in NZ too, obviously not the same scale

we could use it better, whether we should I really don’t know...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep but there are riches in useless land in NZ too, obviously not the same scale

we could use it better, whether we should I really don’t know...

define useless land though- NZ doesn’t really have much of that, it’s either farmland, forestry or national parks/native forests, and people generally think the latter has intrinsic value left unspoiled and preserved for future generations. Especially if what’s under it is only of modest or marginal value.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Why is there a thread on the Warriors forum wanking off over how good it is to live in Australia. f**k all that times a million you f**kin weirdos

Matua

Bench
Why is there a thread on the Warriors forum wanking off over how good it is to live in Australia. f**k all that times a million you f**kin weirdos
So we're just supposed to give up supporting the Warriors when living in Oz?

Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, will probably increase my life expectancy and save on therapy bills.

Reactions: JJ

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Awesome that the move has worked out for you, but what kind of weather do you like? I love visiting Melbourne, but the winter is reminiscent of Palmy/Welly/Chch moreseo than the mild in comparison Auckland winters. It does give me a chance to wear my think jackets that just sit in my wardrobe in Sydney when I'm down there (pre-covid I was probably down there three weeks a year for work and then at least a couple of trips for pleasure.

The cold here certainly colder than Auckland, I'll give it that. BUT, in a weird way, I've only had to de-ice my car once since i've been here. Not sure how that figures.

It feels like we've had alot less rainy days than one would see in Auckland, but when it rains, it really does rain. Heavy rain, stormy rain, hail. We've had some showers recently. There seems to be alot of a cool, fresh days. Sunny, yet chilly. Give it another month or so, and we'll be boiling hot.

At it's hottest, it's too hot. Yet it's a different type of heat, less humid and more dry if that makes sense. I feel it makes it more bearable, but yeah, when you reach over say 34, it can get uncomfortable.

It's kinda strange cause,I feel you either need to be wearing a jacket or be practically naked.

A few other differences here is that insurance is ALOT more expensive than NZ and you also don't need to get a WOF on the car. I don't know how I feel about that, it's less of an annoyance but there is a feeling of re-assurance with a new WOF.

Also, the government system is quite a bit different. In NZ, you have the PM who calls the shots, where as over here you have the PM, but each state has a Premier who is basically head of the state. Things get quite interesting when they don't agree (we're seeing it now with Morrison and Daniel Andrews the premier of Vic)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not 100% sure about Vic but the no WOF thing only applies to vehicles under 5 years old in NSW. After that you need an annual inspection before your rego can be processed. Car stuff is definitely way more expensive here, costs me the best part of a grand every year just to keep the car on the road with rego and CatP insurance. And then my comprehensive car insurance comes on top of that.

know what you mean about Melbourne weather too compared to Auckland. When I was in Auckland I never thought it got that cold but in winter it always seemed to be raining and was often windy. Summer was nice and mild but sometimes almost tropically humid. Melbourne is hot and dry in summer then can be proper cold in winter. The climate is probably closer to somewhere like Napier in NZ than Auckland.

Matua

Bench
Not 100% sure about Vic but the no WOF thing only applies to vehicles under 5 years old in NSW. After that you need an annual inspection before your rego can be processed. Car stuff is definitely way more expensive here, costs me the best part of a grand every year just to keep the car on the road with rego and CatP insurance. And then my comprehensive car insurance comes on top of that.

know what you mean about Melbourne weather too compared to Auckland. When I was in Auckland I never thought it got that cold but in winter it always seemed to be raining and was often windy. Summer was nice and mild but sometimes almost tropically humid. Melbourne is hot and dry in summer then can be proper cold in winter. The climate is probably closer to somewhere like Napier in NZ than Auckland.
Not disagreeing to be argumentative, but the winter climate of Melbourne is more like Wellington or Palmy to me with the wind and freezing cold coming up from the south.

I can't comment on the hot/dry summer of Melbourne as I always seem to be there in winter or early December at the latest so I've never experienced one of those 40 degree days. I love heat so I'd probably enjoy it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not disagreeing to be argumentative, but the winter climate of Melbourne is more like Wellington or Palmy to me with the wind and freezing cold coming up from the south.

I can't comment on the hot/dry summer of Melbourne as I always seem to be there in winter or early December at the latest so I've never experienced one of those 40 degree days. I love heat so I'd probably enjoy it.

i mainly said Napier because of the hot/dry summer. Palmy is probably closer in winter. Not quite as raw and windy as Wellington but nowhere much is

Blair

Coach
i mainly said Napier because of the hot/dry summer. Palmy is probably closer in winter. Not quite as raw and windy as Wellington but nowhere much is

Palmy's in my heart.

Although, when I return back to NZ, I'd never consider living there. It's a young person's town. My memories from there are all young ones too.