What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please, anyone else in 2021

soc123_au

Staff member
Well I guess it’s only “fair” if you don’t happen to rate Bellamy and the culture he instilled at Melbourne as a genuine advantage over other clubs.

But unless the Storm are somehow rorting the cap again or using performance enhancing drugs, it’s pretty hard to deviate from that aforementioned reality.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t trade Ivan up for any other coach in the playing roster and I couldn’t believe that he was f*cked off in 2016 after getting us to a Prelim in 2014. However I would personally love to see a coach like Bellamy go to an underperforming club such as the Tigpies, Dragons, Bulldogs, Cowboys or Broncos.

I'd swap Ivan for Bellamy in a heartbeat, and I thought Ivan was hard done by last time too. I don't get your reasoning though why Melbourne shouldn't have the right to keep renewing him & he is obviously happy to stay. Not that it makes a difference, but it's not like they lured him away from somewhere else to start with. It would be the same as us not being able to re-sign Yeo, Luai & Crichton so someone else can be a bit more successful.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Apparently you guys should have refused to re-sign him once it was established he was a great coach & offered him up to the Tigers or put him on an NRL equivalent of Ebay or something along those lines. I mean I get the jist of where some people are coming from, but this is way out there. ha ha.

Christ, Strawmen arguments even from fellow Penrith supporters.

As an NRL coach, if you were offered the same salary - (or possibly more if you were given extra financial incentive, possibly from the NRL) - wouldn’t you enjoy the challenge of delivering an NRL club from it’s cellar-dwelling status to premiership glory?

I’m not sure what angle you’re looking at, but that’s the one I’m going with here.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I'd swap Ivan for Bellamy in a heartbeat, and I thought Ivan was hard done by last time too. I don't get your reasoning though why Melbourne shouldn't have the right to keep renewing him & he is obviously happy to stay. Not that it makes a difference, but it's not like they lured him away from somewhere else to start with. It would be the same as us not being able to re-sign Yeo, Luai & Crichton so someone else can be a bit more successful.

Bellamy will find it a lot tougher coaching without Cameron Smith being a coach (and referee) on the field.

soc123_au

Staff member
Christ, Strawmen arguments even from fellow Penrith supporters.

As an NRL coach, if you were offered the same salary - (or possibly more if you were given extra financial incentive, possibly from the NRL) - wouldn’t you enjoy the challenge of delivering an NRL club from it’s cellar-dwelling status to premiership glory?

I’m not sure what angle you’re looking at, but that’s the one I’m going with here.

Some coaches may enjoy that challenge, others are happy where they are. I don't see how it's in any way fair to force them to change clubs if they are happy with the deal where they are.

Pantherjim.

Referee

On contract renewal, If he gets the same or less salary offers from other clubs and is happy to stay at the Storm, than that’s a different story altogether, but I very much doubt that is the case.

I have a theory as to why Bellamy is still with the Storm and I believe it has f*ck all to do with his career satisfaction.

greenBV4

Bench
Well I guess it’s only “fair” if you don’t happen to rate Bellamy and the culture he instilled at Melbourne as a genuine advantage over other clubs.

But unless the Storm are somehow rorting the cap again or using performance enhancing drugs, it’s pretty hard to deviate from that aforementioned reality.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t trade Ivan up for any other coach in the playing roster and I couldn’t believe that he was f*cked off in 2016 after getting us to a Prelim in 2014. However I would personally love to see a coach like Bellamy go to an underperforming club such as the Tigpies, Dragons, Bulldogs, Cowboys or Broncos.
coaches in all sports generally don't move around as much as players - a coaches draft is not the solution to making the competition "fairer", and as pointed out there is a heap of great assistants going around from sucessfull systems, clubs just need to get better at seeing potential

Honestly this is were the struggling clubs fail the most, seeing past a players current skill and realising what their potential could be with a bit of commitment and development. But no, a good portion of the clubs sqaubble and fight over signing "the next big thing", the hot up and coming junior player that everyone wants - you never see Melbourne going after these sorts of players and offering them stupid money for a rookie.

greenBV4

Bench
I have a theory as to why Bellamy is still with the Storm and I believe it has f*ck all to do with his career satisfaction.
please enlighten us

lemme guess, something to do with cheating? does cameron smith have dirt on his missus? does he get a new boat every year??

greenBV4

Bench
In my opinion a national players draft for juniors would be a big benefit for for the NRL, have the clubs divest themselves from junior catchments and let the NRL and state bodies fund junior development.

Run combines or whatever to pick a crop of the best 18-21 year olds each year, and basically copy the AFLs pick system (last gets first pick, picks can be swapped for other picks and/or players) or a variant of it that works for us

- it provides a leg up for the struggling clubs getting the earlier picks, bypassing the struggle those clubs usually face trying to lure players without throwing rediculous ammonts of money at them (the titans up until recently)

- helps give a more "national" image to the game (even if most/all the draftees come from heartland states, we might get an occasional WA or VIC playing somewhere in the bunch, the NRL could even go out of its way to have x ammount of affiliate players in the mix)

- could make it easier for country players to get noticed and get a run, like the above point the NRL could make sure x ammount of CRL players are in the mix

- gives the game another TV event to sell off

- gives the media something better to talk about in the offseason

unfortunatley based on the clubs current failures at identifying potential in their own junior systems, im sure they would be a lot of clubs who bungle their picks (but would create a few laughs watching it unfold)

soc123_au

Staff member
On contract renewal, If he gets the same or less salary offers from other clubs and is happy to stay at the Storm, than that’s a different story altogether, but I very much doubt that is the case.

I'd love to hear your theory, pm is fine if you don't want to post it. I have no doubt Melbourne pay him extremely well. My way of thinking is if you are on around 1 million a year, absolute job security & comfortable where you are you aren't going anywhere that could go badly even for 1.5 million. How much money could he possibly need?

greenBV4

Bench
I'd love to hear your theory, pm is fine if you don't want to post it. I have no doubt Melbourne pay him extremely well. My way of thinking is if you are on around 1 million a year, absolute job security & comfortable where you are you aren't going anywhere that could go badly even for 1.5 million. How much money could he possibly need?
yep just like any other regular job, sometimes security and assurance trumps that little bit of extra money

blue bags

First Grade
think about the big NRL picture, ztorm haz 1 of the mozt important jobz, converting victorianz into NRL fanz , no other club comez cloze to that job, ;)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
yep Melbourne is basically a High Performance Centre for training coaches,
but yeah we should send Bellamy packing and force him to another club "to even the playing field" haha, how dare we keep resigning our coach
Well WTF happened with Kearney and Bea Arthur??? They went to the Sheltered work shop next store instead???

And trust the the Eels to get the two biggest duds.

Legends

Juniors
Nah mate, Roosters are dodgy. How can you have a line up like theirs and then mid season go " oh by the way, Sonny Bill will be joining us for the rest of the season..... what, sorry...salary cap ? yes mumble, mumble b***sh*t, nothing to see here haha ".

Is that the best 'evidence' you've got? SBW playing a handful of games for $150k - part of which was offset by releasing Kepoa to Wests?

kit66

Bench
Is that the best 'evidence' you've got? SBW playing a handful of games for $150k - part of which was offset by releasing Kepoa to Wests?

You have no more idea than I do of how much money is involved so save your bs for your mates when you're telling each other you haven't bought your Premierships because you're not fooling anyone else.
They don't call you the Rorters for nothing. dodgy as.

Legends

Juniors
You have no more idea than I do of how much money is involved so save your bs for your mates when you're telling each other you haven't bought your Premierships because you're not fooling anyone else.
They don't call you the Rorters for nothing. dodgy as.

Actually we know exactly how much money was involved, because it was determined by the NRL.

Now do we want to mention the dodgy dealt that brought Gasnier back to the Dragons in 2010 and helped them win the Premiership? You know, pay him in pittance in 2010, then give him an early retirement payoff.