What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

lazza

Juniors
Courage and commitment personified

Storm icon Cameron Smith had constant painkilling injections in his shoulder during the final two months of a triumphant NRL season, a new report has revealed.

Melbourne won the grand final over Penrith on Sunday, ending a painful and courageous run for their veteran captain.

Smith injured the AC joint in his left shoulder during a round 12 win over Newcastle and missed three games, yet the joint never properly healed, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. It was too painful for him to swing a golf club but he still managed to lead his team to a premiership, while the club kept the problem a secret.

"He had to get needled every game to play out the season," Storm football manager Frank Ponissi told the Herald.

"He even had to get needled at times so he could train.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/camero...nd-final/15fd5efd-b373-4a58-8721-c613504af6d2

putting that story in to try to out-do Cronk lol

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This is the perfect take..

There has been a lot better League players over the years Smith has just been more influential.

But that's the ambiguity around the definition of 'better' or 'greatest'

In a team sport, how can you be any better than the most influential? Isn't that the point - to have the most influence over the result? To me, that is the greatest. Joey Johns might've had more highlight reels, skills, fan dazzling etc but Cameron Smith ticks the most boxes. Consistency, football smarts, leadership, vision, and as I said overall influence to winning matches and titles. And he did it at all levels, at all times.

He's a shit bloke but. But most of the greats are.

But that's the ambiguity around the definition of 'better' or 'greatest'

In a team sport, how can you be any better than the most influential? Isn't that the point - to have the most influence over the result? To me, that is the greatest. Joey Johns might've had more highlight reels, skills, fan dazzling etc but Cameron Smith ticks the most boxes. Consistency, football smarts, leadership, vision, and as I said overall influence to winning matches and titles. And he did it at all levels, at all times.

He's a shit bloke but. But most of the greats are.
On that basis he is the best. Up there with Glenn McGrath, who wasn't the fastest but was the smartest and most successful.

You define the greatest by what they achieve, not what they look like doing it
Every team he has played in was better because of it. Queensland turned to shit when he retired from Origin and Australia aren't as dominant.

I've never seen a player read the game as well as Smith. That's what makes him so good. He plays what's in front of him and is 2 or 3 plays ahead of his opposition. You cannot coach that into a player.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I always think of it that if I was starting a new club and could have the pick of any player at 21 years old as first signing for the club who would I choose. For me I would go with Smith every day of week for his leadership, captaincy, longevity and ability to deliver consistent success.

greenBV4

Bench
So Cronk then. More prems across multiple teams. Based off your rationale and the crowning glory being a comp is cronk better than Smith?
are premierships the only measure of success? Andrew Johns only won 2, and is often regarded as the goat, and was the quickest to be made an immortal after retiring

sure they are important and mean the most to a club and its fans, but there are other records and stats that go towards a players individual success - points, win percentage, etc

the thing that stands out the most for Smith though is how long he has been at the level he is at for, he is 37 ffs and seems he could quite easily go around again if he wants to

and we all know that if smith played for a Sydney side he would be hailed as god walking among us..

redVinme

Juniors
are premierships the only measure of success? Andrew Johns only won 2, and is often regarded as the goat, and was the quickest to be made an immortal after retiring

sure they are important and mean the most to a club and its fans, but there are other records and stats that go towards a players individual success - points, win percentage, etc

the thing that stands out the most for Smith though is how long he has been at the level he is at for, he is 37 ffs and seems he could quite easily go around again if he wants to

and we all know that if smith played for a Sydney side he would be hailed as god walking among us..

I agree with a lot of what you say and I guess the Goat is really up to personal interpretation. Smith has been the most durable league player we have seen and broken a lot of records. He is smarter than most which has boosted the longevity.

I guess I feel that his supporting cast has always been a lot better than others that are mentioned and I'm probably salty that though storm played for no points his personal tally still went up.

Greatest maybe. Personally I feel his contributions sit too heavily on both sides of the fence to be the GOAT.

greenBV4

Bench
Greatest maybe. Personally I feel his contributions sit too heavily on both sides of the fence to be the GOAT.
GOAT will never be a title officially bestowed upon one person and one person only, as you said it'll always be personal opinion. Nien regularly calls him the goat, while on the same night having JT part of the broadcast team and also calling him the goat, Johns also gets called the goat often by others on nine while Joey himself calls both JT and Smith goats. Its a fairly meaningless title and a bit of a merry go round

but that takes the fun out of debating it :D

I think we can all agree he will be made an immortal either on the 5 year mark from retiring or shortly after

Generalzod

Immortal
I agree with a lot of what you say and I guess the Goat is really up to personal interpretation. Smith has been the most durable league player we have seen and broken a lot of records. He is smarter than most which has boosted the longevity.

I guess I feel that his supporting cast has always been a lot better than others that are mentioned and I'm probably salty that though storm played for no points his personal tally still went up.

The fact that he stood over Alex McKinnon injured body while he was complaining to the ref that it was McKinnon’s action that caused his injuries speaks volumes about the guy.

Latest posts