What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Signings- Take 2

shaggs

Coach
Morris has to be kidding sign Tolman, just leave we don't even seem to be trying for someone decent

And still nothing on Trindall, the club will lose him you can see it coming
There is no money. The mess Flanagan left the cap in after signing big names on big dollars has left an empty pot.
Dugan, Moylan and Fifita all on $900k plus this year. Still want to suck Shane’s dick? Where does that leave any Room for new big names?

Morris has made 1 big money signing. SJ. How did that work out? Hunt and talakai Were Morris is signings. Fairly astute for next to nothing.

Weaponhead

Coach
There is no money. The mess Flanagan left the cap in after signing big names on big dollars has left an empty pot.
Dugan, Moylan and Fifita all on $900k plus this year. Still want to suck Shane’s dick? Where does that leave any Room for new big names?

Morris has made 1 big money signing. SJ. How did that work out? Hunt and talakai Were Morris is signings. Fairly astute for next to nothing.
Agree that there is no money due to too many top earners who don't earn the big money. Agree on Hunt and Talakai being astute value signings by Morris but Johnson was signed by Flange.

The squad needs development but there isn't room. Tolman on low money is fine to add front row depth. He can do a job. The frustration is inability to sign anyone who can change the squad for the better. A quality fullback is desperately needed but unless something miraculous happens we ain't getting one.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well I am going to presume all three are fit.

Dugan has been good, Moylan will probably play 6 with SJ out, and a fit Fifita is a weapon.

We need Blayke Brailey to be MoM or close too every game.

I miss Ennis.

PJ

First Grade

Wan't SJ Flanno's last signing?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...anagan-set-to-be-banned-indefinitely-from-nrl

PJ

First Grade
Probably, it was all around the time he got the arse.
Story doesn’t change though. The salary cap and finances are trashed. Tread water for another season before guys get off the books .

I agree the finances are trash, but it sounded like you were saying Morris's only big name signing was a waste of money as well when it wasn't his.

shaggs

Coach
I agree the finances are trash, but it sounded like you were saying Morris's only big name signing was a waste of money as well when it wasn't his.
Poor wording on my behalf. Johnson has been a very good signing.

Reactions: PJ

ghoti

Bench
Why do we need to engage with the player market? there are four or five clubs offloading their junk and desperately dipping into reserve graders and other rejects...there's f**k all out there that we need, and we're much better off next year if we retain and develop, and add low money signing to the mix in preparation for the huge space in the salary cap we'll have for 2022 with the end of the Moylan, SJ, Dugan contracts..

The dud contract situation has also been exaggerated by the press... Dugan is in-form and one of our best and deserves his $7-800k, SJ has been injured but won us most of our victories so is playing at least close to his inflated value, and Fifita's body was buggered beyond belief, and he was NEVER going to survive the lockdown period and come out of it 100%... i honestly think we'll see a good back-of-career Fifita in 2021 with a full off-season and his body gettin right.

The only problem of course is Moylan, but he truly is on his final chance next season, so at least has something to prove in terms of getting his body right and filling the SJ hole while he's out for the first 6-8 rounds.

Realistically, next year is step one of bringing this squad through, and I think the parallel to Penrith in 2019 is remarkably similar to where we're at next year. Get the systems going, get the young guys year 2 and 3 of NRL, plug some holes with Tolman-like depth signings and see what we need when the player market opens up in 2022.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Why do we need to engage with the player market? there are four or five clubs offloading their junk and desperately dipping into reserve graders and other rejects...there's f**k all out there that we need, and we're much better off next year if we retain and develop, and add low money signing to the mix in preparation for the huge space in the salary cap we'll have for 2022 with the end of the Moylan, SJ, Dugan contracts..

The dud contract situation has also been exaggerated by the press... Dugan is in-form and one of our best and deserves his $7-800k, SJ has been injured but won us most of our victories so is playing at least close to his inflated value, and Fifita's body was buggered beyond belief, and he was NEVER going to survive the lockdown period and come out of it 100%... i honestly think we'll see a good back-of-career Fifita in 2021 with a full off-season and his body gettin right.

The only problem of course is Moylan, but he truly is on his final chance next season, so at least has something to prove in terms of getting his body right and filling the SJ hole while he's out for the first 6-8 rounds.

Realistically, next year is step one of bringing this squad through, and I think the parallel to Penrith in 2019 is remarkably similar to where we're at next year. Get the systems going, get the young guys year 2 and 3 of NRL, plug some holes with Tolman-like depth signings and see what we need when the player market opens up in 2022.

I like Dugan, don't get me wrong I don't think he's playing like a 700-800k player should be playing.

Tolman is fine for the price we’re getting him for and we need some depth in the forwards.

Dogs fans hated him because he was there second best prop.

He’s probably our fifth best prop and paid accordingly.

Quit the outrage and view the signing accordingly

The two best replies on the topic
All other replies look like that other forum, and the idiocy that exists there

snout

First Grade
For all the sweat and blood and bother spent by all and sundry in buying selling and striving for a better roster - only ONE side wins the GF.
The other 15 dont.
Whether you finish 2nd or 16th you dont win it.

Might as well keep your wallet in your pocket bomber. We arent going to run 2nd and we arnt going to run last...so why bother with chasing players that will move move you from 8th to 6th?

Chimp

Bench
I wonder what Corey Allen would set you back? Been given permission to talk with other clubs....
He’s the one I said a while back that we should be chasing - I reckon he’s gonna be an absolute star, will be quite pricey on paper I’d guess, but I reckon if you give him the 1 shirt, it won’t be long before you’re getting great value for money.

For all the sweat and blood and bother spent by all and sundry in buying selling and striving for a better roster - only ONE side wins the GF.
The other 15 dont.
Whether you finish 2nd or 16th you dont win it.

Might as well keep your wallet in your pocket bomber. We arent going to run 2nd and we arnt going to run last...so why bother with chasing players that will move move you from 8th to 6th?

This year some young players played some good attacking football at times ,against some top NRL opposition. They still could not win a game against top 8 sides . The brains trust in here seem to agree on one thing.... that the defence ,individually and as a unit , consistently, ...needs massive improvement to be in the big games . Even then, probably need a couple of expensive buys that we apparently cant afford, to give the title a real crack. Still got to stay in the game and keep improving ,if only by a few positions on the ladder till we can afford them. Good lesson for young blokes to see the improvement needed just to move from 8 to 6 and be able to beat some top sides, so when we are back on home ground and got a bit of money to shore up some key positions ,we can realistically give the comp a real shake. In saying that I would hope that any player running out for Sharks in any game would be in the mind set of Winning that game, and Improving their own performance. If they do that ,well you never know.......

He’s the one I said a while back that we should be chasing - I reckon he’s gonna be an absolute star, will be quite pricey on paper I’d guess, but I reckon if you give him the 1 shirt, it won’t be long before you’re getting great value for money.
Looks the goods and even seems to have good attitude, but I suppose if we cant afford him we cant afford him. We are not Easts or sturm,but that what makes it all the more satisfying to beat those $%#@ ers

carinashark

First Grade
If we cannot buy till Flanno mistakes are dealt with then we must improve the players we have. That means spending money on player fitness , health and skill coaching. I mean spending real money . This could pay off for seasons.
We must not spend money on players from Manly or those with chronic injuries, bad attitudes, the drug affected or seriously old.

DJDL

Bench

Quickly becoming my favourite poster in here, Ghoti.

As to bolstering our squad, and the highlighted part of your post, here's a list of everyone off contract.

Where are all these top quality purchases coming from?

Stake Removed

First Grade
Buzz is reporting that we are interested in Corey Allen, with 3 other teams who fail to make top 8 or wooden Spooner's
Tigers, Broncs, Cowboys
I would assume that considering who this is we should have no issues in landing Allen