What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

The_Frog

First Grade
Not trying to wreck the party, but JT is one of the greatest players of all time, deserved of a few deep breaths before his name is uttered.
What is being compared is the two at similar ages. Cleary appears to do pretty well.

Update should read 100 games.
Game No 100 is tomorrow. I note also that all 99 of Cleary's games were starting. 12 of JT's 62 games were off the bench. So he's only got half the number of games as a starting half Nathan has at the same age. He was stuck behind Sherwin at the Bulldogs.

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade
Some very tough calls need to be made.
Sauce to be moved on. Bloody ruthless I know but its time.
We need more from fullback. Edwards might make a decent winger but his ballplaying will never be good enough to be part of the spine.

GongPanther

Referee
I thought it was common knowledge Nadens off to Melbourne or did I just make that up??
Commonly rumoured to have bern told he can talk to other clubs, and Mel's name popped up at that time. Probably released to upset the Panthers applecart during the finals. Who knows.

Whino

Bench
Just some stats from the season and the finals.

Finals are a small sample size but worth a look.

In the regular season, we conceded an average of 11.9 points per game
In the finals 23.3

Missed tackles 25
Finals: 32

One thing I did notice the defence likes to slide across the field yet against the Roosters Martin and Naden both missed 6 tackles each. My recollections of a few of the misses, at times they both flew out of the line early to try and quickly make the tackle. Upsetting the team's united defence.
They both missed tackles throughout the year but only a few rushing up quickly. I think nerves got the better of them to make errors they wouldn't usually make.
The desperation of finals got to more than a few.

Errors: 9.4
Finals: 12.
13 Errors and 18 against the Storm pushed up the total.
Only had 5 against the Roosters.

Completions throughout the year we averaged a tick over 80%.
Against the Roosters a very impressive 95%
V Souths 72%
V Strom 69%

The last 2 games against Souths and Melbourne were our worst performances of the year.
We know the balance changed with May going to centre and him no longer providing impact in the middle, but that is not the whole reason.
We also panicked at times and struggled to stay composed.
The 12 nil deficit to the Roosters before leading 28-12 then relaxing and allowing the Roosters a chance to steal a win.
The numerous bombed tries against Souths. They should have been put to the sword and the match over by half-time.
We shit the bed against the Storm big time in the first half. I think the worst thing that happened to us was Melbourne dropping the ball at the kick off. That next set we looked like a deer in the headlights with the ball. Our whole Rhythm was unsettled after each error or iffy call. Melbourne kept grinding away and punishing us for our every mistake.

I remember in 2003 all year people criticised us. We can't win it because we leak too many tries.
527 points conceded that year an average of 21.9.
The player's belief that year was you score 28 we score 30.
In the finals, we conceded 14.6 points that year.

The point worth making is that team went up a gear in the finals and saved their best football at the end of the season. The 2020 team saved the worst football for the end of the season.

Kilkenny

Coach

In the finals 23.3

Missed tackles 25

One thing I did notice the defence likes to slide across the field yet against the Roosters Martin and Naden both missed 6 tackles each. My recollections of a few of the misses, at times they both flew out of the line early to try and quickly make the tackle. Upsetting the team's united defence.
They both missed tackles throughout the year but only a few rushing up quickly. I think nerves got the better of them to make errors they wouldn't usually make.

V Souths 72%
V Strom 69%

The last 2 games against Souths and Melbourne were our worst performances of the year.
We know the balance changed with May going to centre and him no longer providing impact in the middle, but that is not the whole reason.
The 12 nil deficit to the Roosters before leading 28-12 then relaxing and allowing the Roosters a chance to steal a win.
The numerous bombed tries against Souths. They should have been put to the sword and the match over by half-time.
We shit the bed against the Storm big time in the first half. I think the worst thing that happened to us was Melbourne dropping the ball at the kick off. That next set we looked like a deer in the headlights with the ball. Our whole Rhythm was unsettled after each error or iffy call. Melbourne kept grinding away and punishing us for our every mistake.

I remember in 2003 all year people criticised us. We can't win it because we leak too many tries.

The point worth making is that team went up a gear in the finals and saved their best football at the end of the season. The 2020 team saved the worst football for the end of the season.
Good post.

snickers007

Juniors
I follow a blog which takes a completely statistical look at Rugby League. They have release the 2020 Shallow Dive into the Panthers season. It's a good read.

We could spend a lot of time rattling off how good the Panthers were but briefly:

• Penrith finished the season as minor premiers, 2.5 wins clear of Melbourne
  • Penrith finished the season with the highest form Elo rating (2nd highest average over the season)
  • The Panthers were the most productive team by Taylors
  • They had the third best offence and fourth best defence by Poseidon
  • Nathan Cleary was second of all halves, James Tamou third of all middles, Api Korosiau third of all hookers, Josh Mansour second of all wingers and Stephen Crichton best of all centres by WARG
  • The Panthers were by far the most out-performing of their player projections
  • They were the biggest beats of their Disappointment Line

More at the link https://pythagonrl.com/2020/10/28/a-shallow-dive-into-the-2020-penrith-panthers/

roofromoz

First Grade
I think this may be posted somewhere else on here, but I am seeking clarification as to whether Daine Laurie is related in any way to the same Daine Laurie that played in 2010.

WestyLife

First Grade
Quite good analysis. The first time I've seen anyone try to delve into what went wrong on GF day without hysterics.

First time? I think most here have been pretty good in their own way. Obviously the first 24 hours was always going to be full of emotion win or lose. Though I daresay a win we'd all still be feeling that high.

franklin2323

Immortal

In the finals 23.3

Missed tackles 25

V Souths 72%
V Strom 69%

another one to that would be repeat sets. Averaged 4.2 a game during the season. 1 per game finals

Whichever way you look at it. It was a huge choke