What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

simmo1

First Grade
Mitchell joined the Rabbitohs this year on a reported $600,000 and the club has the option in its favour for a second year at $800,000.

Didn't we offer this guy $900k+ a season to play for us. Shows how attractive we are as a club, when players will take $400k pay cut to play elsewhere.

Btw, Corey Allan looks middling at best to me. Robert Jennings looked a gun in that Souths backline, and we know how he went.

Das Hassler

Bench
What fittler handily doesn't mention is that Melbourne tried to unload Pap after signing him but no one was interested....how come his talent aware chooks didn't swoop if fittler knew he was that good....THEN ? Pap's rise has been his own doing by pushing himself after Bellamy told him he'd need to look elsewhere...he could be taking jabs at any club for letting a future star go.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Didn't we offer this guy $900k+ a season to play for us. Shows how attractive we are as a club, when players will take $400k pay cut to play elsewhere.
It all comes down to not playing in finals.

Why sign with us when you can go to the rabbits, be a good chance of playing finals, boost his profile by playing in big games and make up the difference with endorsements.

Tiger05

First Grade
It all comes down to not playing in finals.

Why sign with us when you can go to the rabbits, be a good chance of playing finals, boost his profile by playing in big games and make up the difference with endorsements.

I'm not sure about the second point in relation to endorsements making up the difference. I do understand wanting to play in the finals just because you are a top sportsman and want to play in a competitive team.

The point being we just need to start making the finals consistently. We can't do that without signing players like JAC when they become available or identifying and developing top quality talent.

Melbourne have always taken the developing top quality talent approach. They pinched JAC and Koro from us who are exactly the type of players we need. To be fair Melbourne have also let JAC, Koro and Vunivalu leave. They don't pay top dollar for wingers.

Fordy20

Juniors
I'm not saying he's a star, but for his current money is good value, low risk/highet reward. He has his flaws: lack of speed over 40m, one on one last line defense tackling, kick return metres gained.

It doesn't sound like he's a natural fullback, but more a half that's been shoehorned into the fullback role, like a budget version of Doueihi.
Not sold on Allan. To me seems like the type of player with a bit of talent but fairly limited that was able to have a good period in a good team. But once teams start to understand how he plays he would be shut down and exploited pretty quickly.

If I was the tigers I would see if he was interested but I wouldn’t be offering anymore that around 250k per season, if someone else wants to pay more then so be it.

I agree. There's not a lot of fullbacks on the market at the moment, but that doesn't mean we should overpay, especially for someone who isn't fast and doesn't seem to be a genuine fullback anyway. We can spend another year with Mbye at fullback while we wait for our cap to improve and for more talent to emerge.

Tigerm

First Grade

Btw, Corey Allan looks middling at best to me. Robert Jennings looked a gun in that Souths backline, and we know how he went.
Don't forget he walked out on Easts for a reported $800k / yr.

simmo1

First Grade
Mansour now told to look elsewhere for 2021. Him and Nofo on the wings would certainly provide good starts to our sets. Perhaps a contingency if we miss JAC?

axl rose

Bench
Mansour now told to look elsewhere for 2021. Him and Nofo on the wings would certainly provide good starts to our sets. Perhaps a contingency if we miss JAC?

Not a fan. Maybe 4 years ago before injuries busted him up. Watched a bit of him last year and played like a crippled old man before The Chin finally had the balls to drop him. Slightly better this year but in a side making him look good.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Fittler is just annoyed that the Tigers didn't keep Paps & JAC in Sydney because then it would have been easier for the Rorters to poach them.
It’s surprising Fittler is behaving like he is. He would frown on that behaviour from his team.He may think he needs to sound more aggressive to appease the masses and he now has the confidence ....maybe we see who he really is if he wins again, otherwise he can go back to being humble

As I said, not in the sense of a Walker, or Keary or Thurston, but a couple of the tries we scored we his doing, one I think against the Rorters when he got into a gap on the right side, then put in a banana kick that landed in goal for one of the chasers coming through; another on a backline left shift where he double pumped and created space for his outside man, which led to a try in the corner; then the Penrith game where he scored one in the corner off a little kick out of nothing.

Look I'm not saying he's a star, but for his current money is good value, low risk/highet reward. He has his flaws: lack of speed over 40m, one on one last line defense tackling, kick return metres gained.

On our boards, he had a mixed reaction, some really really liked him, a few hated him - for the flaws mentioned.

People forget he’s still very young by nrl standards at 22. He’s got at least another 7 years of physical incline, increased speed and skill procurement.

He can play at numerous positions in a utility role which takes away from injury pressures.
Almost every side is experiencing injuries and we live in the age of youth over plod.

And to break into the elite bunnies finals side is very impressive when for awhile there, they had genuine gf appearance claims at least.

My recollection is that he arrived at the bunnies as an afterthought in some ways, a gap filler, Bennet saw something in him and it paid massive dividends for his discount price. All sides need their foot soldiers. He’s better than stock for sure.

If he can get dougie into the halves more easily then I think he’s worth his weight in gold.

As for Latrell, well he’s spent most of the year injured or shooting etc. Time is ticking, his claims of immortality are evaporating.

1EB88D24-C67C-4F84-836C-B0266FD67A9C.jpeg
Corey Allen in Tigers kit? Let’s hope so!

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
People forget he’s still very young by nrl standards at 22. He’s got at least another 7 years of physical incline, increased speed and skill procurement.

He can play at numerous positions in a utility role which takes away from injury pressures.
Almost every side is experiencing injuries and we live in the age of youth over plod.

And to break into the elite bunnies finals side is very impressive when for awhile there, they had genuine gf appearance claims at least.

My recollection is that he arrived at the bunnies as an afterthought in some ways, a gap filler, Bennet saw something in him and it paid massive dividends for his discount price. All sides need their foot soldiers. He’s better than stock for sure.

If he can get dougie into the halves more easily then I think he’s worth his weight in gold.

As for Latrell, well he’s spent most of the year injured or shooting etc. Time is ticking, his claims of immortality are evaporating.

View attachment 43479
Are you his manager now:joy:
Don’t inflate him too much otherwise we can’t afford him.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

Don't forget he walked out on Easts for a reported $800k / yr.
Look fellas, don't feel bad, he was always destined to be a Rabbitoh, that's what his father wanted, and GI getting into his ear helped.

And Politis and the Rorters shafted him because of their paranoia. It started after his game against you guys, when he destroyed it, and the media started hassling him in the dressing room after the game with questions about joining Souths, about his Dad, and about comparisons to GI. To his credit, he brushed those questions, and kept talking about the Rorters. But can you imagine how that went down with Politis?

I'm glad you got Douehi back home, we really liked him.

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

View attachment 43479
I agree with most almost all of this except the last bit. C'mon mate, you know he wasn't injured "most of the season". It happened in the Parramatta game, Rd 16. It was his first time injured.

I agree with most almost all of this except the last bit. C'mon mate, you know he wasn't injured "most of the season". It happened in the Parramatta game, Rd 16. It was his first time injured.

We might have to agree to disagree on Latrell.

I’m happy to kick off on him, but you’re a guest and I don’t want to make a bad impression.

Our mods expect us to behave unless they are actually in on the beating themselves, even then, they go first, take their badges off and declare that rank is not an issue!

Besides, apart from the m5, I’m enjoying our sojourn into the inner city.

Pezz70

Juniors
Maguire is certainly clearing the decks, there’s a few gone now. Seven players gone from the squad. Interesting days.