What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Can he though? He was barely sighted until he moved to fullback and currently we have the fullback of the year so why would you disrupt that.

I would look at one of 3 or 4 high end centres in the game whether coming off contract or not that I believe can make our backline better and not tread water or go backwards and work hard at singing one of them.

That is how you fill a M Jennings type of player, not by signing backups or fullbacks or wingers to play at centre.
The only issue with getting a high end centre at this stage is still having to pay Menko. Even though I still think cap wise he was (if he does come back, will his head be right) going to be on unders. I think dollar for dollar, there wouldn’t be much to choose from who are better. Our best use of resources at the moment is calling ASADA to rush his testing. One way or another we’d be in a better position. Unless Menko has done wrong and is willing to bite the bullet

84 Baby

Referee
Rarely do we buy players at their peak, often have to settle for players that were once very good, or honest journeyman still don’t have the status of other top flight clubs, which is mind boggling to be honest!!
How many players at their peak change clubs? Firstly they cost more than their value and secondly they’re usually entrenched in their clubs that they’re locked up over their peak years.
How many players at their peak have Rorters, Scum or Panfas bought in recent years? Tedesco, maybe Keary but that’s more like a reinvigoration, that’d be about it. The Rorters bought the Morii FFS! One could argue Canbra have with their UK imports, but they have also been huge gambles.
But looking at us (pre, post and at peak)
Gutho - pre
Fergo - post
Waqa - hopefully pre but unfortunately looks like at so how’d that work out?
Menko - post
Sivo - pre/at
Drown - pre
Moses - at
Nrown - pre
Matterson - at?
Lane - at?
Paulo - at
Rheed - pre
RCG - at

Niukore - pre
Papali’i - well it’s likely either pre (good for us) or at (disproves your post)
Lussick - my guess is at
Rankin - post
Opacic - probably pre
Cartwright - there’s some optimism but I think post

Won’t bother including juniors Kaufusi, Alvaro and Hughes

Mr Parramatta

Juniors
How many players at their peak change clubs? Firstly they cost more than their value and secondly they’re usually entrenched in their clubs that they’re locked up over their peak years.
How many players at their peak have Rorters, Scum or Panfas bought in recent years? Tedesco, maybe Keary but that’s more like a reinvigoration, that’d be about it. The Rorters bought the Morii FFS! One could argue Canbra have with their UK imports, but they have also been huge gambles.
But looking at us (pre, post and at peak)
Gutho - pre
Fergo - post
Waqa - hopefully pre but unfortunately looks like at so how’d that work out?
Menko - post
Sivo - pre/at
Drown - pre
Moses - at
Nrown - pre
Matterson - at?
Lane - at?
Paulo - at
Rheed - pre
RCG - at

Niukore - pre
Papali’i - well it’s likely either pre (good for us) or at (disproves your post)
Lussick - my guess is at
Rankin - post
Opacic - probably pre
Cartwright - there’s some optimism but I think post

Won’t bother including juniors Kaufusi, Alvaro and Hughes

Im guessing you disagree, no surprise though, it’s apparent I only talk shit, so your response was not unexpected...sorry I spoke!

84 Baby

Referee
Im guessing you disagree, no surprise though, it’s apparent I only talk shit, so your response was not unexpected...sorry I spoke!
If you bothered to read it, you’d realise we’ve had both success and (relative) failure when signing players at all stages. It’s also not as simple as just buying a heap of players at any stage. Going from the opposite direction, ideally I think you get pre peak players to build a squad, peak players to complete a team and post peak to get some cheap players

strider

Post Whore
If Fergo was to retire and Menko is found naughty, my target order would be:
1. Staggs
2. JAC
3. Farnworth (or a like skilled/potentialled centre)
4. Mansour
5. Allan if he can play centre

There’s probably some others. If we need to replace both of them, I think we should be looking at a centre, nothing against Opacic but I haven’t really seen him do anything, plus I think Dunster could be worth a shot (the proviso there is Sivo needs to pull his thumb out - he needs to anyway but if no Fergo, he really needs to)
Staggs is unlikely ... the reinvigorated Broncos will convince him to sign long term

JAC - good but i agree with the venge that he is very peanutty

Farnsworth - agree he would be a good aquisition. He goes ok.

Allen - as long as he is ok to be a centre/winger i would take him. But i doubt he is.

Mansour - yep if he is cheap and only a year or 2

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Jeez I think we are starting to get desperate.

Mansour : is a slug. Strong carrier out of his own end but that’s about all he is good for. Poor finisher and poor under the high ball. There is a reason Penrith are willing to part with him.

Whare : Mansour would give him windburn.. never had a try assist in his life. Was a good defender in his prime but his lateral movement is Takairangi-esque

Allen : meh. For mine he’s a depth player and that’s about it. Was average on the wing for Souths, had some good games at fullback but had some poor ones also and that was in a team that was flying.

Roberts : Would look good next to Cartwright