What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im blanking on his name right now but the kid you had at fullback this year looks like he could make a decent 6.

That’s where he will end up.

Article recently that Jac wants to stay in Victoria despite a heads of agreement. That was known here on lu before the public announcement.

Madge won’t wait too long.

Interesting fact Madge hassacked or forced out 16 players during his tenure so far, extension for himself to end of 2022.

As we all know, the player you miss usually turns out to be a superstar! Such is league!

Definitely an option but with Laurie, Staines and Dylan at FB i feel like we'd be better off trying Burton at centre or off the bench.

I still think Burton could be the best option out of them all for fullback. Not straight away, but with his size and skills, his long term prospects there might be better. You’d have someone tall that can defuse bombs, he’s pretty quick, great passing and it allows his kicking game to be used, which it wouldn’t that much at centre.

Fullback might be a better way to entice him to stay as well. Obviously you can’t make promises, but a chance at a key spine position has to be more enticing than playing back row.

Last edited:

CCJohnC

Juniors
The club has apparently told him he’s welcome to stay for 2021 (according to an article I read today), but in the interests of him securing another contract elsewhere he’s been given a heads up he’s probably not in our long term plans.

From reading reports in Newspapers and other web sites you would think Mansour had been shafted and kicked out immediately. Very few mentioned that he had the choice of staying albeit perhaps as reserve.

betcats

Referee
I still think Burton could be the best option out of them all for fullback. Not straight away, but with his size and skills, his long term prospects there might be better. You’d have someone tall that can defuse bombs, he’s pretty quick, great passing and it allows his kicking game to be used, which it wouldn’t that much at centre.

Fullback might be a better way to entice him to stay as well. Obviously you can’t make promises, but a chance at a key spine position has to be more enticing than playing back row.

I think long term he could be also but I find it hard to move him ahead of Laurie and Staines and even Crichton at fullback not to mention Edwards. I would be happy to see him play there though if they went that way in the future. I'd happily put him at centre in round one next year if Naden wasnt there and probably even if Naden was still there.

I think long term he could be also but I find it hard to move him ahead of Laurie and Staines and even Crichton at fullback not to mention Edwards. I would be happy to see him play there though if they went that way in the future. I'd happily put him at centre in round one next year if Naden wasnt there and probably even if Naden was still there.

Ideally we need reserve grade to go ahead next year so he can at least show what he can do in other positions. But with his skill set, I’d back him over the other guys. Fullback has just become such an important position in the game that you want your most capable there.

One thing I’m fairly certain on, one of these guys will surpass Edwards in the near future. Dylan is a good fullback, all heart, great at support play, but he’s a little limited in what he can do.

Last edited:

Black Magik

Juniors
From reading reports in Newspapers and other web sites you would think Mansour had been shafted and kicked out immediately. Very few mentioned that he had the choice of staying albeit perhaps as reserve.
My wife texted me this morning after she heard on the TV that Penrith have sacked Josh.

So yes...the reporting is very mis-informing

betcats

Referee
Ideally we need reserve grade to go ahead next year so he can at least show what he can do in other positions. But with his skill set, I’d back him over the other guys. Fullback has just become such an important position in the game that you want your most capable there.

One thing I’m fairly certain on, one of these guys will surpass Edwards in the near future. Dylan is a good fullback, all heart, great at support play, but he’s a little limited in what he can do.

At the start of the year three of our development contracts were fullbacks so to me it felt like they were looking for another fullback in the long term, not having a ball playing full back has become a disadvantage in the game today. Dylan is certainly good enough that we dont have to rush but I agree that he will likely be surpassed by one of our other options soon..

maple_69

Bench
I think Edwards' positioning and organisation of the defence is really under rated. You look at a guy like Latrell who is obviously an attacking dynamo, but completely at sea on the other side of the ball. The most certain route to a premiership is league best defence. Maybe Staines/Crichton/Burton/Laurie can deliver the same but I don't think it's a fait accompli that Edwards loses the spot. May/Burton could go to a floating lock role, but that could impact our tight middle defence and indefensible go forward.

betcats

Referee
I think Edwards' positioning and organisation of the defence is really under rated. You look at a guy like Latrell who is obviously an attacking dynamo, but completely at sea on the other side of the ball. The most certain route to a premiership is league best defence. Maybe Staines/Crichton/Burton/Laurie can deliver the same but I don't think it's a fait accompli that Edwards loses the spot. May/Burton could go to a floating lock role, but that could impact our tight middle defence and indefensible go forward.

Im not underrating the defensive side of the ball but you can teach a kid positioning a hell of a lot easier than you can teach them to ball play. At the end of the day its a spine position and anyone there should be good on both sides of the ball, if you have to sacrifice one or the other id lean towards an attacking player, especially if they were young and talented with potential to improve.

John Hamblin

Juniors

I really like Dylan he is probably the fittest player in the club a wholehearted trier, leaves nothing in the tank. Effort on effort. BUT I don't think he is the FB we need to take us to GF success. I think we need a player with ex factor possibly Staines

Bob

Juniors
I really like Dylan he is probably the fittest player in the club a wholehearted trier, leaves nothing in the tank. Effort on effort. BUT I don't think he is the FB we need to take us to GF success. I think we need a player with ex factor possibly Staines
Staines no Laurie yes

murraymob

Coach
Disagree
Let’s face It no intercept no smith try we win .Kikau had a shocker .We had the team to win in did not happen .Edwards has been good all year

betcats

Referee
I definitely wouldnt say we cant win one with Dylan but try and find the last premiership team that had a fullback that wasnt a much better ball player than Dylan. Ball playing is a crucial skill for the position now. The most successful teams all have full backs that can pass the ball well.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Wha

Maybe at U20/Reserve Grade level but largely untested at NRL level. Certainly look good, but certainly not "very accomplished".

really, you don’t think being a good FB at reserve grade/U20 makes you “Very accomplished”? You don’t think that would put you ahead of someone that has not played FB in 20’s and reserve grade?

I think you are wrong.

franklin2323

Immortal
I definitely wouldnt say we cant win one with Dylan but try and find the last premiership team that had a fullback that wasnt a much better ball player than Dylan. Ball playing is a crucial skill for the position now. The most successful teams all have full backs that can pass the ball well.

He does the basics well. He breaks tackles and is good support. He was in the right spot to set Cleary up v Roosters. That stuff you can't train and we missed when Aekins played

Getting Burton on the right side in someway is what we need

Status
Not open for further replies.