What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the NRL doing it wrong

10$ Ferret

Staff member
The NRL in their infinite wisdom are culling stuff like its got its own plague.
Now I understand why revenue is down and maybe costs need to be cut, but surely they are making some very big mistakes in cutting a lot of areas of development.
Jamie Feeney head of female pathways and Tas Bartieri International develop officer have both been told they are no longer required.
Both are tremendous humans and great at their jobs, I think its just wrong

Chook Norris

First Grade
Itd be interesting to see how they come up with the list of priorities and how they expect certain areas of the game to function/progress at all. I'm assuming the responsibilities are being merged with other divisions

siv

First Grade
Could be a sign that NRLW changes are in the wind and IRL development is move to APRLF or IRL

Rather than NRL trying to doing everything

I can understand why.. even though the season has gone ahead they are still bleeding hundreds of millions of bucks in revenue.

I’ve not doubt they will push forward with these initiatives/positions again... but when they’ve got a solid platform to work on..

I can understand why.. even though the season has gone ahead they are still bleeding hundreds of millions of bucks in revenue.

I’ve not doubt they will push forward with these initiatives/positions again... but when they’ve got a solid platform to work on..

Exactly. Regardless of what any of us may think here, the reality is that much of the revenue the NRL earns goes to the clubs so they can pay the players. Hence the NRL will be looking to cut costs in all areas, especially in ares which do not generate revenue for them, not in the current environment.

I mean other people seem to forget there was talk earlier in the year of taking out bank loans, or selling a stake in the game to private equity investors. That's how bad the financial situation was.

Whilst things have stabilised with the new TV contracts, as a game, the NRL are not out of the financial woods. I mean how much money has been forgone due to decreased ticket sales this year for the NRL during the Finals and State of Origin, which are their big money earners? I mean all the clubs have been effected due to decreased ticket sales for regular season home games too.

Hence we can't just go back to "business as normal" as the revenue is just not there, not unless people want the game to quite literally go broke?

typicalfan

Coach
Unfortunately some rough decisions have to be made. I've heard Feeney has done an amazing job. I am sure it was not an easy decision.