What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray Blacklock passed away

GongPanther

Referee
Former Panther great, Ray Blacklock has died from a long illness this morning. He was our captain in our club's 1st ever grand final win in 1978.

I was there for that match, and still have the cap I bought outside the ground across the road from the Olympic Hotel, which cost me $2. Was the same day that Manly and Cronulla played an 11 all draw in the main game.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Former Panther great, Ray Blacklock has died from a long illness this morning. He was our captain in our club's 1st ever grand final win in 1978.

I was there for that match, and still have the cap I bought outside the ground across the road from the Olympic Hotel, which cost me $2. Was the same day that Manly and Cronulla played an 11 all draw in the main game.

Yes I was there that day our Hooker was Steve Martin who later scored three tries in his first grade debut. Must be a record for a hooker on debut.

The_Frog

First Grade

Grew up a couple of streets away from him in North St Marys. I knew where he lived because he was from such a huge family. Was in the same year at school but not the same classes. Didn't really know him though. Mixed in different circles. RIP.

Alintheeast

Juniors
I was at the GF to, drove to the SCG about 100 traffic lights. My recollection was that Blacklock played first grade during the regular season and played the last 5 games in U23 so he could be eligible for finals. St George were cranky about it as Ray was a real talent. I think Ken Wolff was also in the side and St George was coached by Warren Ryan.

Andy_P

Juniors
Remember him from his Newtown Jets days, being a Jets fan and living around the corner from Henson Park. RIP fella.