What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2020

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
What the Maroons mean to Ben Hunt
Queensland Maroons squad member Ben Hunt is excited to be in camp after a stellar 2019 State of Origin series; and is looking forward to a big 2020 series.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/10/28/what-the-maroons-mean-to-ben-hunt/
On form he won’t start but he is a favourite and done it before. I guess he’s mainly there because of his versatility in playing 9 or 6/7. If he was being picked purely as a hooker I’d say Mahoney was hard done by. I do have some faith that Hook and Soward can get him firing again for us. Probably just needs to simplify his game a bit. If he could just concentrate on end of set kicks, and getting good ball left and right the rest will take care of itself. If we could get Crichton, I can see a great combo between he, Gus and Lomax building.

getsmarty

Immortal
sergisj_1nh_9814.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Seven Dragons named in women's Origin squads
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 28 Oct 2020, 01:30 PM

Seven St George Illawarra Dragons NRL Women's Premiership players have been named in their respective State of Origin squads ahead of clash on Friday, November 13 at Queensland's Sunshine Coast Stadium.

New South Wales coach Andy Patmore – who also acted as Dragons NRLW assistant coach in 2020 – has named potential Origin debutants Keeley Davis and Shaylee Bent.

Blues captain Kezie Apps (knee) and Isabelle Kelly (ankle) have been named despite their respective injury concerns, while Jessica Sergis and Tiana Penitani have also been named for NSW.

Queensland and Dragons veteran Steph Hancock has been named for the Maroons following an outstanding maiden season at the Red V.

The 38-year-old front-rower will represent Queensland for the 16th time in her illustrious career.

The interstate match was played under the Origin banner for the first time in 2018 and NSW will be chasing their third straight title after winning the first two matches at North Sydney Oval. It is the first time a women’s Origin match will be played on the Sunshine Coast.

Both New South Wales and Queensland will enter a fortnight-long biosecurity bubbles later this week in preparation for this year's instalment of Origin football.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/10/28/seven-dragons-named-in-womens-origin-squads/

George Sancti

Juniors
I read today that Brenko Lee has been selected in the Queensland SOO team.

Not meaning any disrespect to BL, but this must be one of the greatest rags to riches transformations in the history of Rugby League. I have always seen him as a fair Canterbury Cup grade centre, well below the Dragons recent long term centre pairing.

How Craig Bellamy has built him into a SOO player in 2020 is just remarkable.

getsmarty

Immortal
hancocks-1gp_5781.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Time in NSW leaves Steph desperate for Maroons revenge
Author
Alicia Newton NRLW Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 29 Oct 2020, 05:20 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Regular trips to the NSWRL's Centre of Excellence for Dragons training provided Maroons prop Steph Hancock with plenty of motivation for this year's Women's State of Origin clash.

Walking into the Sydney Olympic Park venue as a member of her 2020 NRLW team gave the veteran a front-row seat into where the NSW women prepare leading into the annual State of Origin clash each year.

It was the first time the 38-year-old stalwart played for an NRLW club filled with NSW talent after two seasons at the Broncos but an experience that left her walking away a better person.

"Absolutely no regrets playing for the Dragons this year but when I first walked into training and looked around at all the NSW history I thought what the bloody hell am I doing here?," Hancock tells NRL.com.

hancocks-2gp_7259.jpg

Steph Hancock playing for Queensland in 2019. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"I brought my Queensland bag down because we hadn't got a Dragons one yet so I carried that on my shoulder when I walked in for the first time and it made me feel slightly better.

"It was definitely a strange experience but that's been the topic of this year. I just got weird shivers and tried to brush it off."

After completing a promise to PNG forward Elsie Albert of playing alongside her at the Dragons, the pair returned to Queensland and are in the middle of a 14-day quarantine before Hancock links with the Maroons for a 16th interstate appearance.

Part of the last four losses to NSW in recent years, Hancock has made more comebacks than John Farnham since declaring the World Cup in 2017 would be her last.

What the bloody hell am I doing here

Steph Hancock on visits to the NSWRL Centre of Excellence
She reckons Queensland coach Jason Hetherington will have a "Bundy rum" waiting for her when the Maroons squad assembles in camp ahead of the Sunshine Coast clash on November 13.

A victory on home soil may just be the grand finish she needs to finally hang up the boots.

"With Origin, oh man, I just live and breathe that shit," she said.

"I don't feel old. If you're good enough to earn a Queensland jumper then you're good enough.

"We'll go into our bubble hub then we'll play, smash the crap out of each other and then everyone will be right to kiss their partner and cuddle their kids again."

Hancock's larrikin personality hasn't diminished during her two-decade career.

In fact, it would be fair to say she's gotten funnier the longer her journey has extended.

She laughs when told her old-school personality leaves young players, who included her Dragons teammates that had never played alongside her prior to her NRLW stint in the Red V, scared and intimidated.

remote.axd

Hersday: Game day rituals

Hersday: Game day rituals

"I don't know why but everyone says that because I'm really just a sook - the biggest and softest sook," Hancock said.

"I don't think I look scary but everyone thinks I'm this big, mean cop, football player.

"But I still cry every day because I miss my mum and I'm 39 in March, it's pathetic. Mum and Dad still live in Killarney so I don't get to see them much.

"I miss mum, and I suppose dad too, but he calls me every day."

The Maroons have named a star-studded squad for the clash which includes Broncos stars Tamika Upton and Tarryn Aiken, both of whom are yet to pull on a Queensland jersey.

"Watching Tamika and playing football with her at Souths this year and seeing what she's capable of, bloody hell," Hancock said.

"I'd hate to be Jase, Murph [assistant coach Karyn Murphy] and Nat [assistant coach Nat Dwyer].

"They've got some tough decisions to make as there are some good kids getting around especially having Z (Zahara Temara), Tarryn and Ali (Brigginshaw) available and in good form."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/10/29/time-in-nsw-leaves-steph-desperate-for-maroons-revenge/

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-201027_sd_03.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Hunt named for Maroons, two Dragons in Blues' squad
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Thu 29 Oct 2020, 04:00 PM

The 2020 Ampol State of Origin opener between NSW and Queensland will create several pieces of history.

In its 40th year, Origin is being played at the conclusion of the club premiership season for the first time.

Never before has South Australia's iconic Adelaide Oval, the venue for game one, played host to an Origin clash.

And the impact of the six-again infringement rule on the game's most brutal and intense form will make for interesting viewing.

But what's old is also new again.

Match: Maroons v Blues

Game 1 - Wednesday 4th November

8:10pm

Home Team

Maroons

Away Team

Blues

Venue: Adelaide Oval, Adelaide

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
Buy Tickets
The great Wayne Bennett is back at the helm of Queensland, taking over from Kevin Walters, who stepped aside after being appointed to coach the Broncos in the NRL, though he will remain involved.

Australian coach Mal Meninga, the man who guided the Maroons to their unprecedented eight-year reign from 2006-2013, has returned as an assistant with there being no international matches.

remote.axd

Walker: Origin demotion knocked my confidence

Walker: Origin demotion knocked my confidence

The Blues are aiming to start their own dynasty under Brad Fittler. They can become just the third NSW team to win three consecutive Origin series (after 92-94 and 2003-05).

Fittler's troops had to fight back after losing game one last year. But with Origin being played on three consecutive Wednesdays, whoever gains the early upper hand will hold a huge advantage.

Match: Maroons v Blues

Game 1 - Wednesday 4th November

8:10pm

Home Team

Maroons

Away Team

Blues

Venue: Adelaide Oval, Adelaide

Team Lists
Backs
  • Fullback for Maroons is number 1 Alexander Brimson

Fullback for Blues is number 1 James Tedesco
  • Winger for Maroons is number 2 Xavier Coates

Winger for Blues is number 2 Daniel Tupou
  • Centre for Maroons is number 3 Brenko Lee

Centre for Blues is number 3 Clinton Gutherson
  • Centre for Maroons is number 4 Dane Gagai

Centre for Blues is number 4 Jack Wighton
  • Winger for Maroons is number 5 Phillip Sami

Winger for Blues is number 5 Josh Addo-Carr
  • Five-Eighth for Maroons is number 6 Cameron Munster

Five-Eighth for Blues is number 6 Luke Keary
  • Halfback for Maroons is number 7 Daly Cherry-Evans

Halfback for Blues is number 7 Nathan Cleary
Forwards
  • Prop for Maroons is number 8 Christian Welch

Prop for Blues is number 8 Daniel Saifiti
  • Hooker for Maroons is number 9 Jake Friend

Hooker for Blues is number 9 Damien Cook
  • Prop for Maroons is number 10 Josh Papalii

Prop for Blues is number 10 Junior Paulo
  • 2nd Row for Maroons is number 11 Felise Kaufusi

2nd Row for Blues is number 11 Boyd Cordner
  • 2nd Row for Maroons is number 12 Coen Hess

2nd Row for Blues is number 12 Tyson Frizell
  • Lock for Maroons is number 13 Tino Faasuamaleaui

Lock for Blues is number 13 Jake Trbojevic
Interchange
  • Interchange for Maroons is number 14 Ben Hunt

Interchange for Blues is number 14 Cody Walker
  • Interchange for Maroons is number 15 Lindsay Collins

Interchange for Blues is number 15 Payne Haas
  • Interchange for Maroons is number 16 Jai Arrow

Interchange for Blues is number 16 Cameron Murray
  • Interchange for Maroons is number 17 Jaydn Su'A

Interchange for Blues is number 17 Angus Crichton
Reserves
  • Reserve for Maroons is number 18 Kurt Capewell

Reserve for Blues is number 18 Cameron McInnes
  • Reserve for Maroons is number 19 Moeaki Fotuaika

Reserve for Blues is number 19 Reagan Campbell-Gillard
  • Reserve for Maroons is number 20 Dunamis Lui

Reserve for Blues is number 20 Nathan Brown
  • Reserve for Maroons is number 21 Hymel Hunt

Reserve for Blues is number 21 Zac Lomax
Last updated: 10:34 pm Thursday 29th October 2020

The rundown
Team news
Blues squad: James Tedesco has been named at fullback but Ryan Papenhuyzen (calf injury) is missing from the 21-man squad.

Luke Keary has beat out Cody Walker to win the five-eighth's jersey, with Walker to serve as the utility player on the interchange bench. Clint Gutherson will partner Jack Wighton in the centres and Junior Paulo has been named at prop.

remote.axd

Ultimate player: Brandy selects the perfect halfback

Ultimate player: Brandy selects the perfect halfback

Daniel Tupou makes a return on the wing after a lengthy absence from the Origin stage while Payne Haas, Angus Crichton and Cameron Murray join Walker on an extremely mobile interchange bench.

Cameron McInnes, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Zac Lomax and Nathan Brown are the reserves.

Nick Cotric, Dale Finucane (calf strain), Jarome Luai, Isaah Yeo, Stephen Crichton and Papenhuyzen were the members of the extended NSW squad now named in the 21.

Maroons squad: AJ Brimson, Xavier Coates, Brenko Lee, Phillip Sami, Jake Friend and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui will make their Origin debuts as member of Queensland's starting 13. Brimson will start at fullback, Coates and Sami on the wings, Lee in the centres, Friend at hooker and Fa'asuameleaui at lock.

Coen Hess was a surprise selection in the second row, with Jaydn Su'A on the interchange. Utility ace Ben Hunt, Jai Arrow and Lindsay Collins (another debutant) join Su'A on the bench.

Kurt Capewell, Moeaki Fotuaika, Dunamis Lui and Hymel Hunt are the reserves.

The suspended Valentine Holmes (available for Game Two) joins Edrick Lee, Patrick Carrigan, Josh Kerr, Harry Grant and Corey Allan as the players left out from the 27-man squad.

Key match-up
Nathan Cleary v Daly Cherry-Evans. Cleary enjoyed a dominant season but it ended in heartbreak with Penrith's grand final loss.

A strong performance here may help abate some of the pain. Cherry-Evans has the pressure of leading a vastly inexperienced team and, as the incumbent Australian halfback, will want to prove he's still the country's premier No.7 after Manly's tough campaign.

Stat Attack
Wayne Bennett's last stint as Queensland coach ended in 2003, with NSW winning that series 2-1. Overall, Bennett has overseen the Maroons in 22 matches, beginning in 1986, for 11 victories. Blues mentor Brad Fittler played against Bennett-coached Maroons teams in two series - losing in both 1998 and 2001.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/10/29/hunt-named-for-maroons-two-dragons-in-blues-squad/

possm

Coach
I read today that Brenko Lee has been selected in the Queensland SOO team.

Not meaning any disrespect to BL, but this must be one of the greatest rags to riches transformations in the history of Rugby League. I have always seen him as a fair Canterbury Cup grade centre, well below the Dragons recent long term centre pairing.

How Craig Bellamy has built him into a SOO player in 2020 is just remarkable.
Bennett must see something in him. Who will he be marking?

George Sancti

Juniors
Bennett must see something in him. Who will he be marking?

According to the team list above, I guess it will be either Jack Wighton or Clint Gutherson. I will be interested to see if he is able to compete at their level or perhaps the master coach has formulated a game plan that is particularly suited to Brenko Lee.

possm

Coach
According to the team list above, I guess it will be either Jack Wighton or Clint Gutherson. I will be interested to see if he is able to compete at their level or perhaps the master coach has formulated a game plan that is particularly suited to Brenko Lee.
If Lee is marking Wighton, I can't see him being competitive.

BLM01

First Grade
I will just say 5 points after that game.
1. Cleary protected by Channel 9. Joey calling for Keary to be replaced by Walker is unfair as Cleary was the worse half and he is down on confidence. Keary showed more promise in attack with Walker than Cleary whose kicking game was poor and all he does turn the ball back inside or do the backline shift.
2. How did NSW not get that last play in as clearly played the ball before F/T..nothing said?
3. Tupou just does not cut it for me at origin level..I know he makes yards running the ball out..but its the dumb stuff that gets me
4. Friz did not have much impact and I thought was quiet in attack
5. The way the 1st half went how did NSW lose that game.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I will just say 5 points after that game.
1. Cleary protected by Channel 9. Joey calling for Keary to be replaced by Walker is unfair as Cleary was the worse half and he is down on confidence. Keary showed more promise in attack with Walker than Cleary whose kicking game was poor and all he does turn the ball back inside or do the backline shift.
2. How did NSW not get that last play in as clearly played the ball before F/T..nothing said?
3. Tupou just not cut it for me at origin level.
4. Friz did not have much impact and I thought was quiet in attack
5. The way the 1st half went how did NSW lose that game.
With Murray injured McInnes might get a shot next week. That was hard to take, would have like that last second.

Agree the the last play. There were qld players lying around that tackle everywhere and it should have been another penalty if not allowed to play.
The wide angle shows if that play continues there is a four man overlap on the right side of the field.
Amazed nothing was said about it.

Coaching was the difference tonight. Whatever was said at half-time by Bennett hit the spot. Munster and Hunt took control of the game and totally outplayed NSW's halves. Cleary proved beyond doubt that he can't rise to the occasion in big matches and Poster Boy Cook was really disappointing. I'd suggest that McInnes should be wearing the 9 in SOO 2. That is if NSW weren't coached by an inarticulate numbnut. Capewell was, on one leg, clearly superior to either Gutho or Wighton. When will selectors learn to pick the best player in each position rather than trying to smash a square peg into a round hole?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It was no coincidence all of Queensland's tries came when Hunt was on the field. He made their attack immediately more dangerous
Imo DCE just started firing in the second half. That was the main strength of them over us DCE/Munster is a better combo than Cleary/Keary. Gagai killed it too. Keary did play well for us though, if I were to drop anyone it would be Cleary.

Latest posts