What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 State of Origin - Game 1

Gronk

Staff member
Gotta say that I was shitty on Gus for throwing Gutho under the bus.

Otherwise good game. Needs more Nathan Brown.

hindy111

Post Whore
Its about a big chunk of money the NRL is in need of

Fair enough. But risk of devaluing their product. The intensity and players available was 2nd rate. And rather then 12mths between series it will be 5mths.
Your may turn Fans off for future and that is the downfall of this series which I am against.

This was a great year to trial some sort of superstar side. The best of the best. Forget origin. 4 best players in each position put into an ballot and two immortal get to pick their sides perhaps.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Gould seems to spend a lot of time defending himself on twitter lately

TheParraboy

Staff member
We needed tries in the last 15 minutes so Freddy takes Paulo off?

Both Haas and Junior only had 6 runs each, and played less game time than they are able

Either they were knackered or Freddy thought they were not the answer

Thought our best were our wingers, Cook and Saifiti - though they all made 1 or 2 errors

Other than that tackle and intercept, Gutho did well for his first origin 32 tackles and 2 TA
Will only get better

We should get them in Sydney. They passion and enthusiasm of QLD will die down a lot

Soto

Bench
Look. If Moses played instead of Cleary we win. It was all Nathan's fault.

Cotrics form was average this season. Toupos was excellent. Neither would of lost or won the game
Tupou was lazy as fk when Gagai beat Wighton.
Tupou is jogging and then decides to chase Coates..too little too late..then throws a dumbarse pass which Munster scoops up and scores...2 bad plays which directly led to tries

84 Baby

Referee
Thought our best were our wingers, Cook and Saifiti - though they all made 1 or 2 errors
Huh? Tupou was trash. Cook and Saifiti were good.
I thought Tedesco was pretty rubbish too. No direction to what he was doing, could’ve been playing in blue and gold with some of his runs basically careening into his teammates.
I’m not sure why Gutho (the miss on Capewell rightly so) and Keary (similar to Tedesco just lacking intent) are being criticised yet Wighton and Cleary are both escaping it. Both were non-existent in attack and Wighton was also non-existent in defence.
That said of Keary, I think Walker looked the more dangerous. Dropping him last year may have been the rocket for his career.
I’d give Cordner a sendoff in game 2.
And either Haas starts/plays long minutes or he doesn’t play.
The actual game was really down I thought. It was quick but there wasn’t that mounting pressure of Origin. I don’t know if it was officiating or change in players or stage of season

84 Baby

Referee
Tupou was lazy as fk when Gagai beat Wighton.
Tupou is jogging and then decides to chase Coates..too little too late..then throws a dumbarse pass which Munster scoops up and scores...2 bad plays which directly led to tries
I think he meant Tupou’s season was excellent. He had a good season and deserved selection but based on last night he doesn’t deserve to retain his spot.
I’d consider shifting Gutho to wing and bringing in Lomax or Crichton

TheParraboy

Staff member
Huh? Tupou was trash. Cook and Saifiti were good.
I thought Tedesco was pretty rubbish too. No direction to what he was doing, could’ve been playing in blue and gold with some of his runs basically careening into his teammates.
I’m not sure why Gutho (the miss on Capewell rightly so) and Keary (similar to Tedesco just lacking intent) are being criticised yet Wighton and Cleary are both escaping it. Both were non-existent in attack and Wighton was also non-existent in defence.
That said of Keary, I think Walker looked the more dangerous. Dropping him last year may have been the rocket for his career.
I’d give Cordner a sendoff in game 2.
And either Haas starts/plays long minutes or he doesn’t play.
The actual game was really down I thought. It was quick but there wasn’t that mounting pressure of Origin. I don’t know if it was officiating or change in players or stage of season

Tupou trash? how so?

Ran well in our red zone, did a lot of the tough hits, zero opportunities his end
28 runs - 235m 114pcm, 6 TB, 2 OL, 2 Errors

Ado Car was handed two tries on a platter
15 runs - 116m 22pcm, 4 TB, 3 LB, 3 Errors

Haynzy

First Grade
The thing that killed us was our bench. When Murray went down we only had Cody Walker. He looked nice with the ball but our defence was limp and our go forward non-existent in the 2nd half. RCG for Haas and either Yeo or NBrown for Murray.
If Freddy wants to keep Walker on the bench then he can drop Keary, put Wighton into 5/8. That leaves us down a centre though, he would either have to put in Lomax/Chrichton, or stay with playing players out of position and put Walker there with Papenhauzen on the bench. I don't think Walker has the defence for centre so I doubt he'll go that way..

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
I think he meant Tupou’s season was excellent. He had a good season and deserved selection but based on last night he doesn’t deserve to retain his spot.
I’d consider shifting Gutho to wing and bringing in Lomax or Crichton

So you feel elite players dont make mistakes or have poor games?
Kikau to NSW cup based on HF performance.

Gutherson over Toupo or Cotric on wing? I'd rather Remis Smith there then Guth.
For me Guth is either a fullback or not in side.
Crighton and Yeo play and NSW win.

84 Baby

Referee
Tupou trash? how so?

Ran well in our red zone, did a lot of the tough hits, zero opportunities his end
28 runs - 235m 114pcm, 6 TB, 2 OL, 2 Errors

Ado Car was handed two tries on a platter
15 runs - 116m 22pcm, 4 TB, 3 LB, 3 Errors
Perhaps trash was harsh but he wasn’t one of our best. It was an old school Blues performance in the second half with the outside backs taking the first 5 hit ups and the forwards were back onside just in time for the kick

Delboy

First Grade

What’s your excuse for that over rated pass and kick 7, absolutely transparent last night and no criticism from Gus and may I say Hindy. Missed goal kicks which could be the only reason he’s in the side as offers next to nothing in creative general play. Can tackle , given all his faults I prefer Moses as at least he can attack , Cleary is a myth.

84 Baby

Referee

There’s a big difference between cap restricted regular season selections to virtually unlimited selection of the best 34 players in almost the world.

hindy111

Post Whore
What’s your excuse for that over rated pass and kick 7, absolutely transparent last night and no criticism from Gus and may I say Hindy. Missed goal kicks which could be the only reason he’s in the side as offers next to nothing in creative general play. Can tackle , given all his faults I prefer Moses as at least he can attack , Cleary is a myth.

The most important job of a 7 is to pass in right direction and a good kicking game along with game management. One that can also defend. If the forwards aren't making ground they become ineffective as does the backline.
Moses can do the odd razzle dazzle. His a great player and if could fix the fundamentals of when to pass and a more accurate kicking game along with game management then he would be perhaps best half in comp. Far more talent then Nathan in my opinion.

But like Sandow I reckon Moses will always be rocks and diamonds and a bit of a baby. Blame others etc.
Nathan took full responsibility for Panthers Grand final loss at age 22. He put his hand up and I credit that.
He will work hard and learn. Let's hope Moses does same. He is young enough still to be no 1 half in game.