What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Australia

langpark

First Grade
Was today's Origin match accompanied by any sort of development strategy?

I watched the entire broadcast and was really disappointed, not a single mention of local teams in SA. We heard the commentators say half a dozen times how nice the cricket scoreboard looked, but zero plugs for any teams in SA. What a shame. Another opportunity missed.

I watched the entire broadcast and was really disappointed, not a single mention of local teams in SA. We heard the commentators say half a dozen times how nice the cricket scoreboard looked, but zero plugs for any teams in SA. What a shame. Another opportunity missed.

Didn’t watch it but commentary is very insular these days.. not surprising..

They, like many, overlook Adelaide for whatever reason. It would have been different if were a normal season and the teams were here for days in the lead up promoting the game and RL in general. But it was FIFO.

Covid killed the true chance to promote RL, the local comps were all cancelled like other sports this year.

However, there are plans to build a new stadium here on the edge of the CBD - Riverbank West project.. 22k seat, rectangular stadium akin to Bank West in Parramatta. But multipurpose for other sports..

Build that, bring more games here, and South Australia might (finally) get the publicity it deserves/needs to grow the game here - and get noticed as a viable option for en expansion team..

Further to above...

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/proposed-stadium.php?id=19

riverbank-west-concept-2.jpg

riverbank-west-concept-1.jpg

footy75

Bench
Covid killed the true chance to promote RL, the local comps were all cancelled like other sports this year.

However, there are plans to build a new stadium here on the edge of the CBD - Riverbank West project.. 22k seat, rectangular stadium akin to Bank West in Parramatta. But multipurpose for other sports..

Build that, bring more games here, and South Australia might (finally) get the publicity it deserves/needs to grow the game here - and get noticed as a viable option for en expansion team..

They have a soccer stadium on the edge of the city already... it's perfect. Hindmarsh Stadium. It's where the Reds play.

Perth Tiger

Bench

The Perth one didn't so I cant see them having a development strategy for SA

langpark

First Grade
The Perth one didn't so I cant see them having a development strategy for SA
I support taking games to these places. But not if it is being done willy nilly like this. It is like the circus, rolls into town one day, gone the next. What is even the point?

I get the covid excuse, but I wonder if it would have been much different anyway, especially given the Perth example that you mention.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I support taking games to these places. But not if it is being done willy nilly like this. It is like the circus, rolls into town one day, gone the next. What is even the point?

I get the covid excuse, but I wonder if it would have been much different anyway, especially given the Perth example that you mention.

In fairness it still benefits both sides even without a plan. NRL gets paid to bring it here and NRL still gets lots more publicity than it would normally get which does raise awareness, it just then relies on countless volunteers to make use of that awareness which could be done better if the governing body got off its arse and did what it was supposed to do.

langpark

First Grade
I get that. But as a volunteer myself, I know what it's like. You plug away for years, and every single new player that joins is precious. Something as simple as a five-second mention by a commentator, who knows, could have brought a dozen new players to SA Rugby League, for example.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Dont fool yourself, these games have nothing to do with growing the game as part of a strategy. They are straight up cash grabs by the NRL. They are only happening because the State Govts are paying many millions for them. The NRL has no growth strategy, no expansion strategy and certainly no interest in regular NRL exposure for these cities unless there is a big cheque in it for them.

Latest posts