What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 new Dragons on Legends Walk

denis preston

First Grade
Well, who would you pick.Talk about a can of worms ! Currently as below . Reckon Brett Morris, Frank Burge, Herb Gilbert,George Carstairs, Frank Facer ( player & admin ) Jack Lindwall, Harry Bath ( player & coach ) Elton Rasmussen would be candidates.

Brian “Poppa” Clay
Mark Coyne
Reg Gasnier AM
Ken Kearney
Johnny King
Graeme Langlands MBE
Eddie Lumsden
Matt McCoy
Noel Pidding
Norm Provan
John Raper MBE
Rod “Rocket” Reddy
Kevin Ryan
Billy Smith
Ian Walsh
Billy Wilson
Craig Young

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
dragons-captain-ben-hornby-sits-alone-with-the-nrl-trophy-after-the-picture-id104698817

Old Timer

Coach
I
Well, who would you pick.Talk about a can of worms ! Currently as below . Reckon Brett Morris, Frank Burge, Herb Gilbert,George Carstairs, Frank Facer ( player & admin ) Jack Lindwall, Harry Bath ( player & coach ) Elton Rasmussen would be candidates.

Brian “Poppa” Clay
Mark Coyne
Reg Gasnier AM
Ken Kearney
Johnny King
Graeme Langlands MBE
Eddie Lumsden
Matt McCoy
Noel Pidding
Norm Provan
John Raper MBE
Rod “Rocket” Reddy
Kevin Ryan
Billy Smith
Ian Walsh
Billy Wilson
Craig Young
I like your list and would add
Robert Stone
Ben Hornby
Monty Porter
Phil Hawthorne

Walpole

Juniors
I reckon from recent times Ben Hornby has to be one of the four. Captain of our first premiership winning team in 31 years, most games ever for the Dragons.

And I'm definitely biased but I'd make a case for Ricky Walford to be considered too. 2nd highest point scorer for the Red V (after Changa) when he retired, 200+ games for the club.

Drakon

Juniors
I would go for Ricky Walford also , along with Harry Bath ( he done so much for the Saints/Dragons both as a player and coach . Also Frank Facer - where would the mighty Saints had been without his administration skills alone ? Johnny King and also Kenny Maddison the center / 2nd rower .
Johnny King is already there Gareth. Can't argue with Harry Bath and Frank Facer. Robert Stone is deserving - a great club man! Ben Hornby and Nathan Blacklock also right up there.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Brian “Poppa” Clay
Mark Coyne
Reg Gasnier AM
Ken Kearney
Johnny King
Graeme Langlands MBE
Eddie Lumsden
Matt McCoy
Noel Pidding
Norm Provan
John Raper MBE
Rod “Rocket” Reddy
Kevin Ryan
Billy Smith
Ian Walsh
Billy Wilson
Craig Young
Like your candidates Denis, out of that group I’d nominate Bath and Burge, Carstairs and Facer

denis preston

First Grade
I would go for Ricky Walford also , along with Harry Bath ( he done so much for the Saints/Dragons both as a player and coach . Also Frank Facer - where would the mighty Saints had been without his administration skills alone ? Johnny King and also Kenny Maddison the center / 2nd rower .

It make it easier and fair surely the criteria is at least Australian representation or outstanding combination of player/ admin or player/coach. Ken Maddison & Ricky Walford dont qualify. Records account for something here and are necessary to include nominees from 1920 - 1950.

Gareth67

First Grade
It make it easier and fair surely the criteria is at least Australian representation or outstanding combination of player/ admin or player/coach. Ken Maddison & Ricky Walford dont qualify. Records account for something here and are necessary to include nominees from 1920 - 1950.

Actuaaaaally he did Dennis , Ken Maddison represented Australia on the ‘ 73 Kangaroo tour of Pommy land , where as Ricky Walford did represent NSW ( which is the best part of Oz anyway ) but that aside I was going more so on the player’s value to the club itself - as an outstanding player or true clubman.

However since that is the criteria , then let’s whack in big John Wittenberg and Barry Beath .

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Actuaaaaally he did Dennis , Ken Maddison represented Australia on the ‘ 73 Kangaroo tour of Pommy land , where as Ricky Walford did represent NSW ( which is the best part of Oz anyway ) but that aside I was going more so on the player’s value to the club itself - as an outstanding player or true clubman.

However since that is the criteria , then let’s whack in big John Wittenberg and Barry Beath .
Yes, but Maddison was playing for Cronulla as a second rower then Gareth67..

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Nathan Blacklock. Freakish winger with a full bag of skills. How he was never picked for NSW is still a mystery.

Nathan Blacklock is one of the few Dragons who I have had the opportunity to meet and one of my favourites. It was perhaps 5-6 years after he retired. He was speaking at a TAFE open day on the Mid North Coast. I was able to tell him that I was at Kogarah for his last game, that fantastic comeback game vs Manly(34-32?), last round, 2004. Blacklock was absolutely on fire in that last 25 minutes. Incredibly he was involved in all five tackles in one set of six.
Very generous with his time that day, very friendly. I was able to tell him I had been to Tingha to have a look at the pool he built for the town. He told me he was also involved in providing or upgrading the footy field there. Invited me to visit him next time I was in the New England.
What a legend!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Nathan Blacklock is one of the few Dragons who I have had the opportunity to meet and one of my favourites. It was perhaps 5-6 years after he retired. He was speaking at a TAFE open day on the Mid North Coast. I was able to tell him that I was at Kogarah for his last game, that fantastic comeback game vs Manly(34-32?), last round, 2004. Blacklock was absolutely on fire in that last 25 minutes. Incredibly he was involved in all five tackles in one set of six.
Very generous with his time that day, very friendly. I was able to tell him I had been to Tingha to have a look at the pool he built for the town. He told me he was also involved in providing or upgrading the footy field there. Invited me to visit him next time I was in the New England.
What a legend!
What a day that was. Once of the great comebacks and Tingha came infield and was in the thick of it.

A few of us met him after that game at the Leagues Club, just briefly. He was very generous, wished him the best for the future and he responded in kind.

Nathan Blacklock is a Legend, no doubt about it. His try scoring record speaks for itself. Gets my vote.

Dragsters

First Grade
I reckon from recent times Ben Hornby has to be one of the four. Captain of our first premiership winning team in 31 years, most games ever for the Dragons.

And I'm definitely biased but I'd make a case for Ricky Walford to be considered too. 2nd highest point scorer for the Red V (after Changa) when he retired, 200+ games for the club.
Nathan Blacklock. Freakish winger with a full bag of skills. How he was never picked for NSW is still a mystery.

My late mum's 2 favourite players.

Her last game at Kogarah Jubilee was Tinga's last match, the great comeback vs Manly.

One of the best days of my life as it made her so happy.

She would be cheering if they were selected among the four...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It make it easier and fair surely the criteria is at least Australian representation or outstanding combination of player/ admin or player/coach. Ken Maddison & Ricky Walford dont qualify.
I can think of one player.

Local junior. One club player.

Captained the side.

Represented state & country.

Went on to be one of, if not the longest, serving coaches.

Smashed all number of records during his coaching tenure.

7A4575CC-9238-4CC4-AB57-125FF8F06DBD.jpeg

denis preston

First Grade
I can think of one player.

Local junior. One club player.

Captained the side.

Represented state & country.

Went on to be one of, if not the longest, serving coaches.

Smashed all number of records during his coaching tenure.

View attachment 43565

I know one real estate agent , son of a TV conglomerate and a current NRL hooker/back rower who would nominate him !

Latest posts