What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

brand new NRL club formed, created for Sydney

Only if 2 or more Sydney clubs are forced to fold.

It would have to be north of the harbour and in an area that's central to people living in northern Sydney.

No blue. Too many teams have it. Maybe have eucalyptus green and wattle yellow as its colours.

Mascot can be a goanna.

blue bags

First Grade
Only if 2 or more Sydney clubs are forced to fold.

It would have to be north of the harbour and in an area that's central to people living in northern Sydney.

No blue. Too many teams have it. Maybe have eucalyptus green and wattle yellow as its colours.

Mascot can be a goanna.
manly eagles to play in nsw cup, with the north Sydney bears
dragons, sharks, merge
eagles been in a lot of financial trouble before
same with dragons
sharks could lose there stadium to developers

Diesel

Referee
Back in the 90’s, RLW ran a story about a 4 way merger with Norths, Souths, Easts and Balmain called Sydney Traditional or Sydney Originals. Probably better going with Sydney United.
If some of these clubs had a vision beyond the old chook raffles and pokies, and the NRL has the balls to stop giving out handouts, we would’ve seen a few super clubs instead of the 3 mergers that did go ahead, and ultimately failed IMO.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This is pretty much what should have happened in the 90's post SL war. Leave the old traditional clubs at their traditional grounds in the NSW Cup as a Shute Shield type comp. Let the traditionalists to go Brooky, North Sydney Oval, Leichardt, Kograh etc. Then create a Sydney City, Western Sydney, Northern Sydney and Southern Sydney franchise from scratch.

Then today we could have an NRL that looked like this:
North QLD Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Brisbane Firehawk Dolphin Bombers
Gold Coast Titans
Auckland Warriors
Christchurch Bulls
Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Roos
North Sydney Lattes
Sydney City Manbuns
South Sydney Crowes (Rusty buys into the club and insists on it ;))
Western Sydney Bogans
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Adelaide Rams
Perth Reds

and a NSW Cup that looked like this:
Balmain Tigers
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Eastern Suburbs Roosters
Illawarra Cutters
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Newtown Jets
North Sydney Bears
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is pretty much what should have happened in the 90's post SL war. Leave the old traditional clubs at their traditional grounds in the NSW Cup as a Shute Shield type comp. Let the traditionalists to go Brooky, North Sydney Oval, Leichardt, Kograh etc. Then create a Sydney City, Western Sydney, Northern Sydney and Southern Sydney franchise from scratch.

North QLD Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Titans
Auckland Warriors
Christchurch Bulls
Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Roos
North Sydney Lattes
Sydney City Manbuns
Western Sydney Bogans
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Adelaide Rams
Perth Reds

Balmain Tigers
Eastern Suburbs Roosters
Illawarra Cutters
Newtown Jets
North Sydney Bears
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies

TBF that was the original SL plan that the ARL refused. The proposal was to have a second tier NSW comp of the traditional clubs then 4 Sydney Super clubs formed with the traditional clubs owning a share of the new super club. These 4 clusb woudl join a national comp of 12 clubs.

Ironically it was the ARL who first come up with the SL concept in the mid 80's with a discussion paper on having a comp with 4/5 Sydney clubs, 3 NSW country clubs, 2 Brisbane clubs, a Qlnd country club and Auckland.

Personally Id have gone with 5 - North (Bears and Manly) , South (Sharks, Dragons, Illawarra), City (Souths and Roosters) South West (Tigers, Wests and Bulldogs) and West (Panthers and Eels)

North QLD Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Titans
Auckland Warriors
Christchurch Bulls
Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Roos
North Sydney Lattes
Sydney City Manbuns
Western Sydney Bogans
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Adelaide Rams
Perth Reds

Balmain Tigers
Eastern Suburbs Roosters
Illawarra Cutters
Newtown Jets
North Sydney Bears
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies
Bogans are known as "westies" in Sydney. Up here in Brisbane they've traditionally been known as "bevans".

siv

First Grade
TBF that was the original SL plan that the ARL refused. The proposal was to have a second tier NSW comp of the traditional clubs then 4 Sydney Super clubs formed with the traditional clubs owning a share of the new super club. These 4 clusb woudl join a national comp of 12 clubs.

Ironically it was the ARL who first come up with the SL concept in the mid 80's with a discussion paper on having a comp with 4/5 Sydney clubs, 3 NSW country clubs, 2 Brisbane clubs, a Qlnd country club and Auckland.

Personally Id have gone with 5 - North (Bears and Manly) , South (Sharks, Dragons, Illawarra), City (Souths and Roosters) South West (Tigers, Wests and Bulldogs) and West (Panthers and Eels)

Might have worked in the NRLW

But was never going to work for 110 year old NRL clubs

I miss the Magpies, Tigers, Bears and Steelers, despite being a Queenslander. I really miss the BRL, especially the Logan Scorpions.

When your favourite club goes bust it changes your views on the game. When I watch the Queensland Cup these days I feel sad and angry because the Scorpions aren't in it. I've adopted Wynnum as my new club, but I'll always be a Scorpions fan. I wish the club was brought back.

flippikat

Bench
Might have worked in the NRLW

But was never going to work for 110 year old NRL clubs

It worked in New Zealand rugby union, where provincial rugby unions (many dating back to the late 1800s) agreed to unite in geographical groupings to form our five Super-12 teams in 1996.

The provincial unions still compete in the provincial championship, but it's now the tier UNDER Super Rugby.

It CAN be done.

siv

First Grade
It worked in New Zealand rugby union, where provincial rugby unions (many dating back to the late 1800s) agreed to unite in geographical groupings to form our five Super-12 teams in 1996.

The provincial unions still compete in the provincial championship, but it's now the tier UNDER Super Rugby.

It CAN be done.

Yes but that is NSW City team

No other structure ever existed in Sydney

flippikat

Bench
Yes but that is NSW City team

No other structure ever existed in Sydney

True, it hasn't been done in Sydney.. but the point I'm making is that it's not without precident over here in New Zealand. We also use a regional structure for our Netball championship, which is the tier above the provinces nowadays.

It CAN be made to work.

siv

First Grade
True, it hasn't been done in Sydney.. but the point I'm making is that it's not without precident over here in New Zealand. We also use a regional structure for our Netball championship, which is the tier above the provinces nowadays.

It CAN be made to work.

Illawarra, Newcastle, Canberra, Brisbane, Nth Qld and Auckland were built on that regional representative model. Where A grade clubs played below them

In Sydney there are 11 districts where A grade clubs play below them

Provincial comp might work in the UK not really in Australia where RL is dominant in only 2 states or provinces

Reflector

Juniors
I miss the Magpies, Tigers, Bears and Steelers, despite being a Queenslander. I really miss the BRL, especially the Logan Scorpions.

When your favourite club goes bust it changes your views on the game. When I watch the Queensland Cup these days I feel sad and angry because the Scorpions aren't in it. I've adopted Wynnum as my new club, but I'll always be a Scorpions fan. I wish the club was brought back.

It's like your first crush. There will be others and (arguably) ones more worth the fuss. But you'll always remember what it was like the first time you gave a shit and how new and fresh it felt.

Yes it's Sunday night and I've had a few...

I'd love to see North Sydney Sea Eagles, red and black, represent all of northern Sydney. Sea Eagles are native Australian animals, and NS Bears had great colours. Combine the two and they have the perfect club.
I've been thinking this myself, great idea, alot of North Sydney fans would go off their heads especially after the Northern Eagles debacle but with rugby league virtually dying on Sydneys Northern Beaches and North Shore something must be done.
I'd go even further and have the team play out of Central Coast Stadium for the majority of their matches.
North Coast Sea Eagles, playing in red and black and mainly based at Central Coast Stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've been thinking this myself, great idea, alot of North Sydney fans would go off their heads especially after the Northern Eagles debacle but with rugby league virtually dying on Sydneys Northern Beaches and North Shore something must be done.
I'd go even further and have the team play out of Central Coast Stadium for the majority of their matches.
North Coast Sea Eagles, playing in red and black and mainly based at Central Coast Stadium.

I could only see it working if there was new ownership, but then that would be asking Manly to give up their NRL license which they are never going to do.

North Sydney Sea Eagles, red and black, gives both the Bears and Manly an equal stake in the club. Some fans will be against it, but if it's marketed towards the next generation then it will pay dividends in the future.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
North Sydney Sea Eagles, red and black, gives both the Bears and Manly an equal stake in the club. Some fans will be against it, but if it's marketed towards the next generation then it will pay dividends in the future.

What are your thoughts on the Gold Coast Bears?
  • North Sydney already own the Tweed Seagulls leagues club
  • Seagulls colours are white red and black
  • Burleigh Bears use the NS Bears old logo, Norths could merge with them and have the two GC Q Cup teams as feeders
  • Gives the GC a team with history that dates back to the dawn of the game in Australia
  • Gives the Bears their spot back in the NRL
  • GC Bears would draw more away fans in Sydney than the GC Titans would
I know it won't happen and the Titans are actually starting to find their feet as a brand but it is fun to have these hypothetical discussions.

Latest posts