What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

ALSGI

Bench
Bird’s $950k Broncos nightmare to end as Sydney switch set to be signed off

NRL PREMIERSHIP

·November 6, 2020 11:26am

·DARCIE MCDONALD

·Source: FOX SPORTS

Jack Bird is reportedly set to sign with the Dragons. (Photo by Bretty Images)Source: Getty Images

Injured Bronco Jack Bird looks to be headed for the Illawarra with reports he will sign with the Dragons as early as today (Friday).

The 25-year-old took up his player option with the Broncos next season but it’s understood the club is keen to offload him and his salary which is reportedly just shy of $1 million per season.

Brisbane will have to contribute a portion of his salary next year but it will clear up some cap space to allow new coach Kevin Walters to start overhauling the roster.

The Courier Mail’s Pete Badel is reporting the Broncos have given Bird “permission to leave,” while Triple M’s Ben Dobbin reports the utility back will sign with the Dragons — his former club — today.

Breaking: Broncos give Jack Bird permission to leave as he prepares to sign a new deal with the Dragons. Full story @cmail_sport

— Pete Badel (@badel_cmail) November 5, 2020

Breaking.Strong mail out of Sydney this morning that Jack Bird will sign with the @NRL_Dragons today. @brisbanebroncos won’t comment.But mail is Red V have to tick a couple of boxes and Bird will be a Dragon in 2021 @TripleMBrisbane @TripleM_NRL @RushHourBris @9NewsQueensland

Bird has had a horror run with injuries since arriving at Red Hill. After overcoming a sternum injury he suffered a ruptured ACL twice in 10 months. His most recent one occurred at training just two days before Round 1 this year.

The Courier Mail reports Bird passed a medical test with the Dragons this week and new coach Anthony Griffin is considering him as an option in the centres or back row.

Broncos legend and board member Darren Lockyer said the club wouldn’t stop Bird from taking up a deal with the Dragons.

“We would like to keep Jack but he has missed a lot of football and he has missed his family being away from them and being injured,” Lockyer told the Courier Mail.

“He is still with us for the moment but that might change.

“If he has done the medical with the Dragons I don’t know the outcome of that.

“Jack is contracted to us for next year, but he hasn’t had much luck at the Broncos and if he wants a change of club, we wouldn’t stand in his way.”

It’ll be a homecoming of sorts for Bird who spent his Under 20s years at the Dragons before signing with the Sharks.

ALSGI

Bench
Confirmed 2yr deal.

Dragons return for Bird confirmed

Author

Dragons.com.audragons.com.au

Timestamp

Fri 6 Nov 2020, 12:55 PM

St George Illawarra have confirmed the signing of Brisbane Broncos utility Jack Bird on a two-year deal, tying him to the Dragons until at least the end of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The local Berkeley Eagles junior will re-join the Red V after progressing through the club's lower grades prior to departing for the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in 2015, where he made his NRL debut.

The premiership-winning, New South Wales State of Origin representative has spent the past three seasons with the Broncos, although consecutive season-ending knee injuries restricted the 25-year-old to 17 games at Brisbane.

"It's great to see Jack return to the Dragons with him being a local junior as well as his capabilities as a player," General manager of football Ben Haran said.

"We wanted to ensure that Jack returning to the Dragons was right for us as a club, which is why we exercised due diligence around his well-documented injury troubles.

"Jack's a real competitor with a winning attitude and is a player who attacks the game each and every time he plays. We're looking forward to seeing him bring that to the Dragons upon his return."

Bird's arrival follows the signing of Poasa Faamausili and the retention of Mat and Max Feagai, Josh Kerr, Jackson Ford, Mikaele Ravalawa, Adam Clune, Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign.

ALSGI

Bench
2 years sounds about right, hopefully the Broncos are paying at least 350-400k for next year and there are some clauses in the contract protecting the club, as well as incentives for Jack if he kicks along.

Dragsters

First Grade
I'm happy with this signing with the caveat being that we didn't pay overs as a percentage of his $950.

Welcome back Jack!

Right edge back rower to replace Frizz is where I would play him and model his game off Wade Graham (run, ball play, kick options). Quick line speed in defence and great combo alongside Lomax on that side.
Let’s all hope he doesn’t suffer injury again and turn into our 2021 Jason Alchin.

ALSGI

Bench
Wouldn't hold my breath. Pretty sure the Eels didn't even make up 100k when we picked up the problem of Norman.
Yeah no doubt we were ripped off with Norman but he wasn’t injury ridden like Jack is. Hopefully, new CEO and Coach played hard ball.

possm

Coach
Right edge back rower to replace Frizz is where I would play him and model his game off Wade Graham (run, ball play, kick options). Quick line speed in defence and great combo alongside Lomax on that side.
Let’s all hope he doesn’t suffer injury again and turn into our 2021 Jason Alchin.
There is nothing like sending him to the engine room where we expect our players to be rough and tuff and then qualify this statement by hoping he won't get injured. Over the past 3 years he has been injury prone. If he was my kid, I'd be advising him to be asked to be in the backline; 1, 4 or 6.

Last edited:
There is othing like sending him to the engine room where we expect our players to be rough and tuff and then qualify this statement by hoping he won't get injured. Over the past 3 years he has been injury prone. If he was my kid, I'd be advising him to be asked to be in the backline; 1, 4 or 6.

Just my opinion Possm.
The engine room is more front row. I think Jack would excel on the right edge where his game can be very effective to his strengths.
He is a big body, defends well at centre so it’s only one in again however his skill set would bring an extra dimension to our attack whilst still playing Hunt and hopefully Sullivan in the halves.
All players in the team perform hit ups now so that’s not an issue.
I would rather him play back row rather than stop Sullivan or one of the twins get there opportunity.
We really just need one more big hard nosed prop and we r looking pretty good.

Spazer

Juniors
Only 25 yrs old, get him fit again and he would add a bit of value to our edges. He's primarily a right side player no? Lomax isn't losing his spot so I guess he would be playing left centre or possibly in the backrow if he is fit enough.

BLM01

First Grade
Wouldn't hold my breath. Pretty sure the Eels didn't even make up 100k when we picked up the problem of Norman.
Incorrect in 2019 Eels were contributing the rest of his supposed salary of that year but Yes we gained a problem
It cost us about 500 last year...
we then obviously paid him 800 odd for this snd next year