What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Liberal and Labor MPs welcome investment in Jubilee Stadium

possm

Coach
Carlton Station is very close to Jubilee and there's the Royal Hotel over the road.
I've walked from Carlton Station to Kogarah Jubilee Oval and return many times over the last 50 years. My suggestion to have a rail and bus station at the ground is no different to what is in place at many other prominent venue throughout Australia and the world.

Such a transport hub would encourage the use of facilities at the ground and the leagues club before and after the ground. The fact that Carlton Station and the Princess Highway are very close only makes an underground rail link and bus service a more economical project.

First stop rail transport to Central and Wollongong would be a fast and convenient trip to and from the ground/club. A bus service that stops at stops at current bus stops north and south of the ground/club would help with the congestion created before and after each game.

The idea is only a positive move to make Kogarah a more attractive venue to watch sport and to use the nearby club and facilities without worrying about transport before or after the event.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Let this be a bold and innovative project with car parking, a bus and train station under the main ground.

St George Leagues Club should step up to the plate with a redevelopment of their site to include a multi story development that includes restaurants, entertainment centre, the club and a 5 star hotel.

This site is in close proximity to Mascot Airport and direct rail and highway rout to the city of Sydney; a perfect location for high profile sporting vents such as Rugby League, Rugby Union and Soccer.
Carlton Station is literally 500m away , say a 6 minute walk. The Taj 150m away 2 minute walk. Awesome sporting venue. Hope they add world class training facilities

FlameThrower

Bench
$200M can only go so far. Getting the Northern terrace covered, and fixing up the area near the scoreboard with a smaller grandstand, modern scoreboard, plus better food / amenities is a must. We need 2 good sized screens for replays as the one on ground must be the smallest and is useless more than 30 metres away. That’s your $200M.

More importantly what about the decaying and daggy Leagues Club....that’s an embarrassment and yet I believe the Club is cashed up. Can’t even promote the game on game day.....absolute disgrace of a Club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
$200M can only go so far. Getting the Northern terrace covered, and fixing up the area near the scoreboard with a smaller grandstand, modern scoreboard, plus better food / amenities is a must. We need 2 good sized screens for replays as the one on ground must be the smallest and is useless more than 30 metres away. That’s your $200M.

More importantly what about the decaying and daggy Leagues Club....that’s an embarrassment and yet I believe the Club is cashed up. Can’t even promote the game on game day.....absolute disgrace of a Club.
The ground and Leagues Club two are separate issues but I agree there needs to be an improvement on how the amenities and food are managed. You only need to go to some other modern stadiums to see how it's done with minimal queues. Jubilee can do the same with just better management.

There is a new large screen on the hill, so someone in ground management has done the right thing there. Probably could do with a second large screen, possibly where the old one was positioned at the northern end.

The Leagues Club has been run into the ground. I find myself going to the Royal Hotel more and more.
And I totally agree about the Club failing to use it's position to promote the game on game day.

The Princes Hwy is no brainer when it comes to free advertising. But instead of using it for the game, the signage only promotes 'what's on' inside the Club, usually some jazz quartet or similar that only only attracts 20 people. Such a wasted opportunity. I recall years ago a big sign there letting the traffic know when the next game was up. It's even easier now with the electronic signage. So it defies logic..

possm

Coach
I believe St George Leagues Club is in good shape financially with some savvy investments and an adequate cash-flow. Wouldn't it be a step in the right direction to improve facilities on the grounds of the club and to refurbish the club in a way that makes it a more attractive venue for live entertainment and after game hosting.

Why does not the Club take over game catering which, if done right could provide an increase in club revenue.

The ground and Leagues Club two are separate issues but I agree there needs to be an improvement on how the amenities and food are managed. You only need to go to some other modern stadiums to see how it's done with minimal queues. Jubilee can do the same with just better management.

There is a new large screen on the hill, so someone in ground management has done the right thing there. Probably could do with a second large screen, possibly where the old one was positioned at the northern end.

The Leagues Club has been run into the ground. I find myself going to the Royal Hotel more and more.
And I totally agree about the Club failing to use it's position to promote the game on game day.

The Princes Hwy is no brainer when it comes to free advertising. But instead of using it for the game, the signage only promotes 'what's on' inside the Club, usually some jazz quartet or similar that only only attracts 20 people. Such a wasted opportunity. I recall years ago a big sign there letting the traffic know when the next game was up. It's even easier now with the electronic signage. So it defies logic..

The dragons LC boss essentially said in that roy masters piece last year that he didn't want footy people taking up the parking spaces of pokies people.
whether that be Sydney FC, St George or the Sharks. he doesn't want football patrons. only pokie patrons.

possm

Coach
The dragons LC boss essentially said in that roy masters piece last year that he didn't want footy people taking up the parking spaces of pokies people.
whether that be Sydney FC, St George or the Sharks. he doesn't want football patrons. only pokie patrons.
He could resolve the problem in a positive way by creating more car parking spaces.

If the spaces are need for locals who regularly play the pokies but don't follow football, then maybe curtesy buses providing locals transport to and from the club will do the trick.

Wouldn't it be great if they employed some truly professional and forward thinking people to run the club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah, that's pretty much common knowledge. Sad state of affairs.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

The basic problem we have is that Jubilee Stadium and the adjacent Kogarah Park are relatively small parcels of land and don't allow for significant development. There has been talk of an Aquatic Centre being part of the development but I don't know where you'd put it. Parking and the associated congestion on Jubilee Avenue and the Princes Highway has also been a huge problem on game day and the Leagues Club over the years has had varying attitudes to game attenders parking on their site.

Meanwhile the Leagues Club has decided it wants to be nothing more than a gambling palace. The Auditorium, which closed decades ago due to (I think) structural issues with leaking etc, used to host world class entertainers but Danny Robinson and his Board decided it was not worth repairing.

Big mistake in my opinion. I still go there regularly but I find the staff unhelpful and arrogant, the cost of membership excessive, the benefits (such as birthday gifts for long-term members) miserly and the atmosphere poor compared to other clubs closer to my home (eg Tradies at Gymea).

Sort of mirrors the problems we are having on the football side of things.. A lack of progressive thinking.

Como Connection

First Grade
The basic problem we have is that Jubilee Stadium and the adjacent Kogarah Park are relatively small parcels of land and don't allow for significant development. There has been talk of an Aquatic Centre being part of the development but I don't know where you'd put it. Parking and the associated congestion on Jubilee Avenue and the Princes Highway has also been a huge problem on game day and the Leagues Club over the years has had varying attitudes to game attenders parking on their site.

Meanwhile the Leagues Club has decided it wants to be nothing more than a gambling palace. The Auditorium, which closed decades ago due to (I think) structural issues with leaking etc, used to host world class entertainers but Danny Robinson and his Board decided it was not worth repairing.

Big mistake in my opinion. I still go there regularly but I find the staff unhelpful and arrogant, the cost of membership excessive, the benefits (such as birthday gifts for long-term members) miserly and the atmosphere poor compared to other clubs closer to my home (eg Tradies at Gymea).

Sort of mirrors the problems we are having on the football side of things.. A lack of progressive thinking.
Asked a young lass to dance with me at Saints in 77.
She is still happily married to me!
Good luck for me I say!
CC

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Not uncommon for CEO’s of the ‘Leagues Clubs’ not to be really that interested in the Fooball side of things; one of the reasons why some of the Sydney Clubs said yes to the Super League offer. Their focus is the profit from pokies and the ‘ Football Club’ impact their bottom line, despite the fact that they were set originally up to fund the Football Club. Despite the public perception, it’s not always a harmonious relationship.

Last edited:

Latest posts