What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

Maddragon99

Juniors
Confirmed 2yr deal.

Dragons return for Bird confirmed

Author

Dragons.com.audragons.com.au

Timestamp

Fri 6 Nov 2020, 12:55 PM

St George Illawarra have confirmed the signing of Brisbane Broncos utility Jack Bird on a two-year deal, tying him to the Dragons until at least the end of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The local Berkeley Eagles junior will re-join the Red V after progressing through the club's lower grades prior to departing for the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in 2015, where he made his NRL debut.

The premiership-winning, New South Wales State of Origin representative has spent the past three seasons with the Broncos, although consecutive season-ending knee injuries restricted the 25-year-old to 17 games at Brisbane.

"It's great to see Jack return to the Dragons with him being a local junior as well as his capabilities as a player," General manager of football Ben Haran said.

"We wanted to ensure that Jack returning to the Dragons was right for us as a club, which is why we exercised due diligence around his well-documented injury troubles.

"Jack's a real competitor with a winning attitude and is a player who attacks the game each and every time he plays. We're looking forward to seeing him bring that to the Dragons upon his return."

Bird's arrival follows the signing of Poasa Faamausili and the retention of Mat and Max Feagai, Josh Kerr, Jackson Ford, Mikaele Ravalawa, Adam Clune, Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan ahead of the Dragons

I’m ok with this decision, sure he’s had some injury problems but he’s also a very good player.

Mjab

Juniors
Yes could play lock as a ballplayer and if JDB plays i would play him at 5/8

Maybe 5/8 is a better option overall as they dont get bashed so badly there vs lock or 2nd row

an expensive centre IMO but could be played there too

Slippery Morris

First Grade
2 things to note regarding the article. Bronco's paying a substantial amount of his salary.

"The Broncos will still pay a large part of Bird's salary for next season." I am hoping around 500-600k.

2nd point is Saints did a medical and put him through some rigorous process to make sure he was ok.

Looks like Saints really made sure a they got a good deal and 2 he was medically fit which you cannot ask for more from the club. If he does have a bad injury it will be very unlucky for the poor kid and he may even be forced to retire as 3 years straight out of the game with serious injuries like his cannot be good for his future well being. Kyle Stanley tried around 3 times and then gave up. Saints have had some really unlucky players with injury (Kyle Stanley, Cameron King and now Bird).

Splinters

Juniors
The club has bought a second hand car with a long history of breakdowns.

Not something I would do, but then I am not a mechanic.

Fingers crossed.

kit66

Bench
Lock is the last position I would play Bird in. McInnes could not handle it and neither could Merrin.

I'd say they will play Bird at five-eighth with Hunt at 7. At this stage I'd play De Belin at lock and if he is not available, I would go to the market and recruit a lock.

For Bird to be coming to the Saints, surely Norman is leaving.

So you've given up on Dufty in the halves ? I'm speechless.

blacksafake

First Grade
2 things to note regarding the article. Bronco's paying a substantial amount of his salary.

"The Broncos will still pay a large part of Bird's salary for next season." I am hoping around 500-600k.

2nd point is Saints did a medical and put him through some rigorous process to make sure he was ok.

Looks like Saints really made sure a they got a good deal and 2 he was medically fit which you cannot ask for more from the club. If he does have a bad injury it will be very unlucky for the poor kid and he may even be forced to retire as 3 years straight out of the game with serious injuries like his cannot be good for his future well being. Kyle Stanley tried around 3 times and then gave up. Saints have had some really unlucky players with injury (Kyle Stanley, Cameron King and now Bird).
Read somewhere on Twitter we're paying 300k.
Of course I can't be sure this is right but if so I think the club has done ok & he's worth the gamble.

getsmarty

Immortal
bird---website.jpeg

SIGNINGS

Dragons return for Bird confirmed
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 6 Nov 2020, 12:55 PM

St George Illawarra have confirmed the signing of Brisbane Broncos utility Jack Bird on a two-year deal, tying him to the Dragons until at least the end of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The local Berkeley Eagles junior will re-join the Red V after progressing through the club's lower grades prior to departing for the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in 2015, where he made his NRL debut.

The premiership-winning, New South Wales State of Origin representative has spent the past three seasons with the Broncos, although consecutive season-ending knee injuries restricted the 25-year-old to 17 games at Brisbane.

"It's great to see Jack return to the Dragons with him being a local junior as well as his capabilities as a player," General manager of football Ben Haran said.

"We wanted to ensure that Jack returning to the Dragons was right for us as a club, which is why we exercised due diligence around his well-documented injury troubles.

"Jack's a real competitor with a winning attitude and is a player who attacks the game each and every time he plays. We're looking forward to seeing him bring that to the Dragons upon his return."

Bird's arrival follows the signing of Poasa Faamausili and the retention of Mat and Max Feagai, Josh Kerr, Jackson Ford, Mikaele Ravalawa, Adam Clune, Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign.

Be in that number in 2021. Become a Red V member today. For more information on membership, please visit: dragons.com.au/membership. Have any questions? Check our membership FAQs or contact us via 1300 DRAGON (1300 372 466) during business hours, or email redv@dragons.com.au

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/11/06/dragons-return-for-bird-confirmed/

getsmarty

Immortal
Transfer Centre: Dragons confirm Bird’s homecoming on multi-year deal
NRL Premiership
darcie_mcdonald.jpg

• November 6, 2020 1:44pm
  • Darcie McDonald
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
d73f0fbc33890bfa779253f6611d41c9

Jack Bird has signed with the Dragons. (AAP Image/Dan Peled).Source: AAP
Jack Bird is officially heading back to the Illawarra with the Dragons confirming on Friday a two-year deal.

The 25-year-old local junior progressed through the Dragons’ lower grades before he was signed by the Sharks in 2015 where he made his NRL debut and won the premiership the following year.

He joined the Broncos on a lucrative four-year deal in 2018 but has been let go early to take up an opportunity with the Dragons.

Grand Final
Bird has had a horrible run of injuries which have hindered him to just 17 games for the Broncos.

It’s understood he was on around $950,000 a season and while the Broncos will need to chip in for a portion of his salary next year, it will clear up some salary cap space for new coach Kevin Walters.

Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran is pleased to welcome back Bird but said the club had to exercise “due diligence” because of his injury history.

“It’s great to see Jack return to the Dragons with him being a local junior as well as his capabilities as a player,” he said.

“We wanted to ensure that Jack returning to the Dragons was right for us as a club, which is why we exercised due diligence around his well-documented injury troubles.

“Jack’s a real competitor with a winning attitude and is a player who attacks the game each and every time he plays. We’re looking forward to seeing him bring that to the Dragons upon his return.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/1dc60fc1454391200fa5e14ed0172ef6

getsmarty

Immortal
Bird signs with Dragons as he attempts to rekindle NRL career
Christian Nicolussi
November 6, 2020 — 1.02pm
Jack Bird is officially returning to St George Illawarra, with the club confirming on Friday they have signed their local junior to a two-year deal.

Bird, 25, was given permission to negotiate with rival clubs several months ago by the Broncos, who were set to pay him just shy of $1 million in 2021.

147ca6b821607ebb36361015380b3df0f145c0c5

Jack Bird has signed a twoi-year deal with St George Illawarra.Credit:NRL Photos

The Broncos will still pay a large part of Bird's salary for next season as he looks to finally string some games together after consecutive ACL ruptures and a sternum injury limited him to just 17 games over the past three seasons.

Bird broke down on the eve of this season and did not feature at all for the Broncos. The Dragons put him through a rigorous medical before signing off on the latest deal.

Former Dragons coach Paul McGregor was keen to lure the Berkeley Eagles junior back to the club five years ago after he had signed with bitter rivals Cronulla.

Fans are sure to debate where Bird should play with the NSW representative a centre by trade but also someone capable of slotting into the halves, back row, fullback or even lock forward.

"It's great to see Jack return to the Dragons with him being a local junior as well as his capabilities as a player," Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran. "We wanted to ensure that Jack returning to the Dragons was right for us as a club, which is why we exercised due diligence around his well-documented injury troubles.

The Dragons not only have a new coach in Anthony Griffin but have also snapped up Sydney Roosters' forward Poasa Faamausili and have re-signed Jack de Belin whose availability hinges on the outcome of his ongoing court case.

Broncos chief executive Paul Whitre said of Bird's departure: "Jack is a really good young man who did an honourable job battling through injury when he first arrived with us, then played some fantastic footy in the first half of the 2019 season.

"He was then hit by a bad knee injury, and again worked incredibly hard to get back into great shape for the start of 2020 before going down with a season-ending injury on the eve of Round 1.

"Through all of his misfortune, Jack has always continued to work hard with an aim of getting back to his best, and that should be commended. The Broncos wish Jack all the best in the future."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...es-south-back-to-dragons-20201106-p56c57.html

Gareth67

First Grade

Agree Slippery , it is most reassuring that the Dragons have followed the correct procedure with Bird , in as much as having a thorough medical done before actually signing him .

And the icing on the cake is that by playing hardball with the broncs with their contribution
to his salary , they have now secure the services of a class player at a reasonable price .

What a difference from the previous recruitment structure .

possm

Coach
Just my opinion Possm.
The engine room is more front row. I think Jack would excel on the right edge where his game can be very effective to his strengths.
He is a big body, defends well at centre so it’s only one in again however his skill set would bring an extra dimension to our attack whilst still playing Hunt and hopefully Sullivan in the halves.
All players in the team perform hit ups now so that’s not an issue.
I would rather him play back row rather than stop Sullivan or one of the twins get there opportunity.
We really just need one more big hard nosed prop and we r looking pretty good.
To be honest I rather Bird at five-eighth and Ford to the edge forward position.

Anyway, it is all just discussion. Griffin will decide these things and we can just see how it all plays out.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
My understanding was that we were in the absolute driving seat with this negotiation with bird and the broncos making this work and us doing a fixed amount and game related

If it turns out broncos did 2021 at $500k and us $300k base plus game payments to make up the remaining $150k then im happy

If 2022 is a base plus game payments im happy

Lets be honest if bird wanted to leave the broncos and head back to Sydney then he had to be willing to take unders to make this happen and a games played contract for part

The guy has had two ACLs which on record for most players rarely works out

Only a handful of players return to the same high levels of performance

possm

Coach
Yes could play lock as a ballplayer and if JDB plays i would play him at 5/8

Maybe 5/8 is a better option overall as they dont get bashed so badly there vs lock or 2nd row

an expensive centre IMO but could be played there too
I'm sure that if JDB is available, he will play lock; like having another good prop.

SnowDragon

Juniors
A doggies fan just indicated that he is on 675 at the dragons, with the broncos covering the missing salary for 21. Something he says he read elsewhere.

no idea if that’s right. Seems overs to me, but if he passed his physical, and Gentle was behind the move, then it may turn out to be a good signing (I’m nervous). Personally I wanted big forwards, but you can’t deny Bird is a class player.

possm

Coach
A doggies fan just indicated that he is on 675 at the dragons, with the broncos covering the missing salary for 21. Something he says he read elsewhere.

no idea if that’s right. Seems overs to me, but if he passed his physical, and Gentle was behind the move, then it may turn out to be a good signing (I’m nervous). Personally I wanted big forwards, but you can’t deny Bird is a class player.
I'd say that he will be 500k-600k p/a for two years. With the Broncos paying him a termination fee. There could be a clause in his contract giving him a bonus if he plays a set number of games in the season proper.

Latest posts