What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

martielang

Bench
Was he ever fit? He was sucking in the big ones when replaced v Roosters. Even in SOO he looked underdone

Martin was running on empty the last 3 rounds & played 80 mins each week. Even if he wasn't capable of playing 80 or even 60, I think he should of got more than he was given. Hindsight is a beautiful thing though.

franklin2323

Immortal
Martin was running on empty the last 3 rounds & played 80 mins each week. Even if he wasn't capable of playing 80 or even 60, I think he should of got more than he was given. Hindsight is a beautiful thing though.

That would of been my change. Give Kikau his break around 30 mins then leave Capewell on for Martin to close out the game. We did that mid season ( Burns instead of Capewell) worked well then as Martin started carving up got him more time and as a result that happened

Whino

Bench
I honestly don’t think ladder position is a huge consideration for young players. They’ve got years ahead of them, I’m sure playing regular footy in your preferred position holds a lot of appeal, even in a losing team.

True. The young ones are naive until they get sick of being at a loser team. The older ones who have experienced the lean years are generally more cautious.

I wonder if he has many friends here he is tight with?

Kilkenny

Coach
True. The young ones are naive until they get sick of being at a loser team. The older ones who have experienced the lean years are generally more cautious.

At the end of the day money talks. If you have two options one for $500K and another for significantly more it is always going to be difficult to reject the higher offer, particularly if there is more opportunity to play your preferred position.

Not too naive. Some are wise enough to spot a dysfunctional club and turn them down. Doesn't matter how much cash you throw at them, if you have constant infighting and are poorly run. Cash isn't always king.
Charlie Staines is proof of that.

I think end of the day it will come down to what position Burton wants to play the next few years.

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
The reality is money talks
I don’t think there would have been a huge difference to what Penrith and the dogs offered Staines .He would have been told about Mansour being moved on.That is why he stayed
burton will be different I can see a big gap in what we can offer and what the dogs will throw at him.He May stay next year get devolpment at Penrith expense then move to the dogs
Ultimately we will lose kids that’s the nature of the beast.The trick is in identification of the next kid that will make the grade
.And that is something we have got better at last 2 years

The reality is money talks
I don’t think there would have been a huge difference to what Penrith and the dogs offered Staines .He would have been told about Mansour being moved on.That is why he stayed
burton will be different I can see a big gap in what we can offer and what the dogs will throw at him.He May stay next year get devolpment at Penrith expense then move to the dogs
Ultimately we will lose kids that’s the nature of the beast.The trick is in identification of the next kid that will make the grade
.And that is something we have got better at last 2 years

There was a report saying the dogs were offering 400k for Burton, I reckon we could get fairly close to that. (If the amount is true of course)

Kilkenny

Coach
The Dogs have been pretty active in recruiting for 2021 and even allowing for the fact they have released Foran and Tolman they must be getting close to there cap so can’t be too much left if they are trying to fit Burton in. I remain optimistic we will retain Burton.

murraymob

Coach
The Dogs have been pretty active in recruiting for 2021 and even allowing for the fact they have released Foran and Tolman they must be getting close to there cap so can’t be too much left if they are trying to fit Burton in. I remain optimistic we will retain Burton.
They are well under they have been operating under cap restriction due to there rorting a few years ago.I think that is now over.Next year they have 17 players coming off contract .They will be the most active of all clubs next 2 years

Kilkenny

Coach
They are well under they have been operating under cap restriction due to there rorting a few years ago.I think that is now over.Next year they have 17 players coming off contract .They will be the most active of all clubs next 2 years

The pommy front rower, Stimson from the Storm, Kyle Flanagan, our own Jack, Nick Cotric would not have been cheap, Corey Waddell all these signings would add up. Dean Britt from the Bunnies probably only minimum type money.

I understand they still have money to have a crack at Burton but I can’t see how we cannot offer Burton sufficient to induce him to stay loyal.

Exsilium

First Grade
Blake Green is set to stay with the Knights after back flipping on the Bulldogs.

Could this be more evidence to suggest Burton has a foot in the door?

Kilkenny

Coach
Given the players we have contracted for 2021 and beyond it appears we only have approximately 24 so if there are more outs such as Burton that surely means there has to be at least four or five ins. Even filling from within our own ranks we do have a lot of spaces to fill even if the new cap allows for only 28 as has been suggested. I’m sure the club will know exactly where they are at even if we are in the dark.

Jane Murray

Bench
Given the players we have contracted for 2021 and beyond it appears we only have approximately 24 so if there are more outs such as Burton that surely means there has to be at least four or five ins. Even filling from within our own ranks we do have a lot of spaces to fill even if the new cap allows for only 28 as has been suggested. I’m sure the club will know exactly where they are at even if we are in the dark.

Neither Matt, nor his manager, has come out publicly on his contractual position. I hope we re-sign him.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Would become the best player in the world there
Remember that Bellamy is only at the Storm till the end of next year (if reports are correct).

I agree Bellamy would be good for Matts development. You only have to look at Brenko Lees improvement this year from nufty to soo to see how good coaching can improve a player. But who will coach the Storm in 2022. They may end up collapsing in a heap with another coach.

Note: I have been saying the Storm will fall in a heap since the 2010 with the salary cap scandal and the leaving of Greg Inglis.

Status
Not open for further replies.