What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Why are some expecting top 13 player signings ?

our top 13 is basically already set and signed (maybe the odd change eg is Lane middle or edge now and additionally subjected to the Jennings outcome).

additionally we basically already have Marata as a lock for a bench spot and potentially Kafusi...

So basically all these signings are pushing for either the 2 bench spots or playing NSW cup/depth.,All clubs have a few cheapies on the bench.

We were never making big signings this year. Plus I reckon we have a few signings / squad players (and still some more coming) which could add something from the bench. There is going to be some good competition in the squad along with some new faces to freshen the squad up a bit.

Noise

Coach
Why are some expecting top 13 player signings ?

our top 13 is basically already set and signed (maybe the odd change eg is Lane middle or edge now and additionally subjected to the Jennings outcome).

additionally we basically already have Marata as a lock for a bench spot and potentially Kafusi...

So basically all these signings are pushing for either the 2 bench spots or playing NSW cup/depth.,All clubs have a few cheapies on the bench.

We were never making big signings this year. Plus I reckon we have a few signings / squad players (and still some more coming) which could add something from the bench. There is going to be some good competition in the squad along with some new faces to freshen the squad up a bit.
I think people are expecting a better bench. Our bench was dog shit this year and we haven’t really signed anyone of note that improves it. Papalii is just average and Hipgrave is one of the worst forward defenders in the comp. On top of that Jennings is going to be gone so our top 13 is weaker too.

jason taylor

Bench
Hipgrave is a good upgrade from Andrew Davy. Significantly younger and has good aggression in his game. BA has historically done a good job developing second towers, the only concern is Hipgrave’s history of concussions.

Ditto Oldfield on GJennings. Oldfield has always been quite unlucky with cementing a spot in first grade. Would have cemented a wing spot at Canberra during the back half of the year if he hadn’t picked up an injury. He’ll be a handy backup for Fergo and Sivo.

I actually like these signings at the moment. Incremental upgrades on what we had this year while filling gaps that hurt at this year (namely at hooker). I could have done without Will Smith getting another contract, but I guess he has been a dependable, if unremarkable backup for the past few years.

What we are now really missing is a replacement for MJennings. That’s really our one hole in our top 13.

SneakyEel

Juniors
Hipgrave is a good upgrade from Andrew Davy. Significantly younger and has good aggression in his game. BA has historically done a good job developing second towers, the only concern is Hipgrave’s history of concussions.

Ditto Oldfield on GJennings. Oldfield has always been quite unlucky with cementing a spot in first grade. Would have cemented a wing spot at Canberra during the back half of the year if he hadn’t picked up an injury. He’ll be a handy backup for Fergo and Sivo.

I actually like these signings at the moment. Incremental upgrades on what we had this year while filling gaps that hurt at this year (namely at hooker). I could have done without Will Smith getting another contract, but I guess he has been a dependable, if unremarkable backup for the past few years.

What we are now really missing is a replacement for MJennings. That’s really our one hole in our top 13.
i think'll you'll find that Naden is the replacement for MJ.

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
I think people are expecting a better bench. Our bench was dog shit this year and we haven’t really signed anyone of note that improves it. Papalii is just average and Hipgrave is one of the worst forward defenders in the comp. On top of that Jennings is going to be gone so our top 13 is weaker too.
100%

None of the signings announced thus far make our bench better for 2021 IMO. I mean FFS, Taka is probably a better backrower and a better winger than Hipgrave and Oldfield respectively but we've rissoled him... Taks is probably a better centre, nay definitely, than Opacic with more runs on the board in first grade...

Oh well, let's see what happens I guess....

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

well we can’t replace Jennings until the case is finalised ..what do you expect us to do there?

All the signings potentially improve our bench.

2 genuine hookers with some top line experience have the potential to take the 14 spot.

Papalii / Hipgrave may or may not be the answer but both are young in forward years, 23 and 24 next year with some decent nrl experience. They could both potentially be heading towards their peak years (we signed Nrown at 24 with only 28 games and he was hardly a definite NRL starter)

Regarding KP he may not be the greatest defender but you don’t get to NRL level as a “smaller” forward if you can’t tackle. It’s an probably an attitude/fitness issue that can be fixed.

Then there is the potential Cartwright signing (yes we don’t know what level he perform at)

plus we have current players Marata (already offers plenty) / Kafusi (slowly improving) / Hughes / Hollis (either could be smokies for a spot)

So currently the bench options are potentially looking better then 2020

Noise

Coach
well we can’t replace Jennings until the case is finalised ..what do you expect us to do there?

All the signings potentially improve our bench.

2 genuine hookers with some top line experience have the potential to take the 14 spot.

Papalii / Hipgrave may or may not be the answer but both are young in forward years, 23 and 24 next year with some decent nrl experience. They could both potentially be heading towards their peak years (we signed Nrown at 24 with only 28 games and he was hardly a definite NRL starter)

Regarding KP he may not be the greatest defender but you don’t get to NRL level as a “smaller” forward if you can’t tackle. It’s an probably an attitude/fitness issue that can be fixed.

Then there is the potential Cartwright signing (yes we don’t know what level he perform at)

plus we have current players Marata (already offers plenty) / Kafusi (slowly improving) / Hughes / Hollis (either could be smokies for a spot)

So currently the bench options are potentially looking better then 2020
Potentially improve our bench? Potential is not what we require. We need a definite improvement. A terrible tackler (Hipgrave), a 1 NRL game hooker (Lussick), an undersized forward who has done nothing at the Warriors (Papalli’i) and maybe an even worse tackler than Hipgrave with an attitude problem (Cartwright). I don’t see how we have improved our bench.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep, we were told our side was not good enough to compete with the top sides. Now we sign some bottom of the barrel dross the top 17 is suddenly good enough again???

When the coach is found out once again when it really matters the side won't be good enough again lol.

Latest posts