What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Luke Bowden

First Grade
The issue is with Panthers players they can do no wrong in some fans minds but I will take a try.

He was the best halfback for most of the year then he reverted back to the old self of been too predictable.

Watch the 2nd half of Origin again and the GF. Every kick was a bomb and hope it works instead of what works rolling the ball into the ingoals. If you can't look at stats for that then how do you judge it?

The Try assist stat alone wouldn't be an issue if he was taking the line on himself. If you can't use Metres gained and line breaks then how do you judge it?

You mentioned the JAC tries as him having an involvement in a try but not showing on stats? It went through 2 sets of hands after him. Most backs and even some forwards can do a draw and pass.

What you want to see is the half do a move on the blindside or a grubber and chase or something to play what you see. Not just be robotic and do what is in the game plan

Oh my hat, I don’t even know where to start with this.

For most of the Second half, he was kicking from his own 30-50 metre line. He was kicking bombs, because they give the best opportunity for the defensive line to make ground and try and win back field position. You can’t roll a ball into the in goal from your own 30m line. The blues played horrible footy in the 2nd half and went completely away from what was working in the 1st half.

You judge it by watching the game, seeing where they are shifting or holding. It really doesn’t matter who scores or who throws the last pass.

Make no mistake, Cleary through the most important / hardest pass in JAC’s try. Anyone who knows anything about footy will tell you that, that’s why I used it as an example.

This last paragraph is like something I read in a 1980’s “coaching for idiots” book. I can’t even really answer it without sounding rude.

Kilkenny

Coach
The issue is with Panthers players they can do no wrong in some fans minds but I will take a try.

He was the best halfback for most of the year then he reverted back to the old self of been too predictable.

I think we as Panthers fans are more than capable of being objective about the performances of our own players,

If I was going to single out one player who didn’t quite perform anywhere near what he is capable of, particularly when it counted most it was probably KiKau. Very disappointing for mine.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I think we as Panthers fans are more than capable of being objective about the performances of our own players,

If I was going to single out one player who didn’t quite perform anywhere near what he is capable of, particularly when it counted most it was probably KiKau. Very disappointing for mine.

Dally M 2nd rower of the year? I know that system isn’t great, but he can’t of been too bad?

Smug Panther

First Grade
Franklin is sounding like there's an agenda regarding Cleary floating around.

Cleary improved out of sight in 2020. I'm predicting this to continue.

Then Franklin will have to find someone else to 'death ride'.
You're banging your head on a brick wall in regards to that, Alice. Franklin thinks his opinion, and his alone, is all that matters.
I strongly disagree with @franklin2323 on Cleary but he's a great poster on here and I do respect his opinions

franklin2323

Immortal
Oh my hat, I don’t even know where to start with this.

For most of the Second half, he was kicking from his own 30-50 metre line. He was kicking bombs, because they give the best opportunity for the defensive line to make ground and try and win back field position. You can’t roll a ball into the in goal from your own 30m line. The blues played horrible footy in the 2nd half and went completely away from what was working in the 1st half.

You judge it by watching the game, seeing where they are shifting or holding. It really doesn’t matter who scores or who throws the last pass.

Make no mistake, Cleary through the most important / hardest pass in JAC’s try. Anyone who knows anything about footy will tell you that, that’s why I used it as an example.

This last paragraph is like something I read in a 1980’s “coaching for idiots” book. I can’t even really answer it without sounding rude.

You don't think in those situations sometimes a kick into touch. To slow it down and get the line set is better to at worst mix it up?

You keep doing the same thing and getting the same result makes no sense. Mix it up and get a different result.

As for my last paragraph. Cleary scored a great individual try off a grubber v Manly and it was never seen again. He has the odd flash like that creating something so he can do it. Yet don't see it enough

franklin2323

Immortal

There should be more of it. The side isn't perfect not far off but then can get the discussion back to how it can be improved.

As I am sure those around the side have these conversation regularly

Luke Bowden

First Grade
You don't think in those situations sometimes a kick into touch. To slow it down and get the line set is better to at worst mix it up?

You keep doing the same thing and getting the same result makes no sense. Mix it up and get a different result.

As for my last paragraph. Cleary scored a great individual try off a grubber v Manly and it was never seen again. He has the odd flash like that creating something so he can do it. Yet don't see it enough

A kick into touch not only allows the d line to get set, it stops the play, let’s the opposition get set and allows them to all get on side and go.

a bomb forces the opposition to have to rush to get on side, this tires out forwards and makes the back 3 work a lot harder. It’s a very solid tactic. Repetitive action take the steam out of the opposition.

He scored and created plenty of great tries this season, the opportunity to grubbed for him self may have only come up once or twice. I certainly don’t want to see him trying it if it’s not there.