What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

House to myself this evening and knocked two over.

Grimsby

Not a patch on SBC’s good stuff. Knew I’d be indifferent after about 5 minutes. Some things made me giggle but rare. Highlight was the South African stunner in the green dress (no, not the maid).

The Black Hole.

Love 70’s sci-fi and especially space flicks. Hadn’t seen it for decades. I only remembered the robots (what retro space movie is complete without a robot), and all the promo stuff when it was released, the robots (Vincent and BOB) on ovaltine tins, ice blocks etc.

If you’re a bit of a nostalgia buff like me it’s a great watch.

images

nöyd

Staff member
L.A. Confidential - Crowe, Pearce, Basinger, Spacey, Cromwell, De Vito all nailing their parts, almost a perfect film - 9.5/10

Silver Linings Playbook (again) - I reckon Jennifer Lawrence is exactly like her character in this movie in real life (at least in my dreams she is), another great one - 9/10

Generalzod

Immortal
L.A. Confidential - Crowe, Pearce, Basinger, Spacey, Cromwell, De Vito all nailing their parts, almost a perfect film - 9.5/10

Silver Linings Playbook (again) - I reckon Jennifer Lawrence is exactly like her character in this movie in real life (at least in my dreams she is), another great one - 9/10
I’ve never seen this film.

Generalzod

Immortal

Grimsby

Not a patch on SBC’s good stuff. Knew I’d be indifferent after about 5 minutes. Some things made me giggle but rare. Highlight was the South African stunner in the green dress (no, not the maid).

The Black Hole.

Love 70’s sci-fi and especially space flicks. Hadn’t seen it for decades. I only remembered the robots (what retro space movie is complete without a robot), and all the promo stuff when it was released, the robots (Vincent and BOB) on ovaltine tins, ice blocks etc.

images
Oh yes it was called Disney Star Wars, watched it again on the other night on the Disney plus, how ironic that Disney now own the Star Wars franchise.

Mr Spock!

Referee

Grimsby

The Black Hole.

images
Yeah the Black Hole is a good movie.

Watched The Final Winter the other night.

Someone in here recommended it to me a while ago, suggesting it was on Youtube.

It was ok enough. Simple plot, ambled along but loose ends here and there with no real punchy conclusion.

However the match sequence of scenes was absolutely outstanding. For me it's rare that a sports movie can really shoot the game play well. American films go for drama, slow-motion, background music and a "magic play" as formula. Invictus was a great movie but I found the game play slow and loborious.

But the match at Henson Park was shot perfectly, not over or under done - but capturing the grit, the impact, the gameplay in real time as the game was played in that era. Worth a look for that alone as there aren't many movies based on Rugby League - and those there are don't do the game justice. This does.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Train to busan 2

John wick with zombies. Different feel and tone to the first and isnt anywherr near as good. Is the first zombie movie ive seen where the characters actually call them zombies, thought that was an unwritten law.

The Dead Don’t Die

Slow burner with some real great laughs with a couple of left turn oddball moments.

A fantastic cast wring everything out of the dry script and pace. Fun play on zombie tropes too. But a little gem that will become a cult classic.

Adam Driver continues to impress. Bill Murray in old man Venkman mode with the class of Steve Buscemi, Tilda Swinton, Tom Waits, Danny Glover and Chloe Sevigny.

Put on with Shaun Of The Dead and The Return of the Living Dead.

Triple Frontier.

Really liked it. Some typical formula (ex special forces guys getting back together to do a job) but overall a great watch. Strikes me as a story that could have been even better as a series rather than a movie.

horrie hastings

First Grade
King Kong (1976)

Not a terrible remake. Good cast. Jessica Lange is smoking hot.

Jessica Lange's movie debut and she was smoking hot in it but her acting in this movie was just terrible, thank goodness it was a one off and she became one of the greatest actress around, i still shake my head and cannot work out how she never won best the best actress oscar for her portrayal of Francis Farmer in Francis, the reason was she was up against Meryl Streep in Sophies Choice, that year there should have been a tie as both were outstanding, instead Jessica was given the best supporting actress for Tootsie .

Last edited:

Latest posts