What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

possm

Coach
We have a small ? over fullback. A big ? over the 13, 6 and 3 jumpers. He covers all of these if fit :thumbsup:
Dufty will have enormous pressure on him to perform in 2021. Now we have:
Ramsey
Schiller
Bird
Lomax

All capable of filling the fullback spot. The Feagai brothers are there waiting to replace a centre or winger who might have to move to the fullback position.

Gareth67

First Grade
Dufty will have enormous pressure on him to perform in 2021. Now we have:
Ramsey
Schiller
Bird
Lomax

All capable of filling the fullback spot. The Feagai brothers are there waiting to replace a centre or winger who might have to move to the fullback position.

Lomax is a center possum . He has plenty of ability which Griffin shall undoubtedly bring out . The Dragons need to build a rock solid combination out in the backs and Lomax must be part of that partnership .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Lomax is a center possum . He has plenty of ability which Griffin undoubtedly bring out . The Dragons need to build a rock solid combination out in the backs and Lomax must be part of that partnership .
To improve on last years results, we have to improve the performance of each player in the 17. We have lost some top level players Graham, Frizell and maybe De Belin. In there place we have signed Bird and a bench prop.

I'm positive Griffin knows what he is doing and the potential of players he has in his squad so I will rest easy and watch with fingers crossed over then next couple of months.

One remedy to fix some problems would be to elevate one of the listed players to fullback and promote one of our juniors into first grade.

Gareth67

First Grade
To improve on last years results, we have to improve the performance of each player in the 17. We have lost some top level players Graham, Frizell and maybe De Belin. In there place we have signed Bird and a bench prop.

I'm positive Griffin knows what he is doing and the potential of players he has in his squad so I will rest easy and watch with fingers crossed over then next couple of months.

One remedy to fix some problems would be to elevate one of the listed players to fullback and promote one of our juniors into first grade.

I do understand where you are coming from mate , however there is ‘ a cherry on top of the icing ‘ with Griffin as our new coach . Quite simply he will improve the players skills a hundredfold compared to the previous individual who was in charge .

Also I believe that there shall be unity among the players and the team as a whole , but also a newfound sense of “ we can achieve “ attitude , not as in the past when the team seemly looked completely lost and disinterested .

Duffy , as all the Dragon player’s performances will improve dramatically under the 3 amigos so looking at it from that perspective Duffy will continue in the fullback role next season . Of course young Cody Ramsey would be the heir apparent to that position should the Duff be injured .

Last edited:

Drakon

Juniors
https://t.co/4L7zZZ72E2

Can anyone post the full article? The link is behind a pay wall
Jack Bird returns to St George Illawarra after injury-plagued stint at Broncos

Jack Bird’s time at the Broncos has been dogged by a series of injuries
  • BRENT READ
    SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
    @brentread_7
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
  • 10:35AM NOVEMBER 6, 2020
  • 2 COMMENTS
Jack Bird is coming home. Back to where it all began. He never played first grade for St George Illawarra but he is a Wollongong boy who always planned to return to the Dragons at some point in his career.

That time has now arrived, albeit ahead of schedule and under circumstances that he still finds difficult to fully comprehend. He will return to pre-season training on November 17 under Anthony Griffin with a chip on his shoulder and a determination to prove a point to those who question whether multiple knee reconstructions have tempered his ability.

On his day, Bird is a State of Origin player. Those days were few and far between at the Brisbane Broncos thanks to two catastrophic injuries. As he recovered from a second knee surgery, Bird got the sense that he was unwanted.

Brisbane coach Kevin Walters told Bird that he would like him to stay and see out the final year of his contract, worth upwards of $950,000. Others told Bird that he was free to go because the Broncos needed to ease the strain on their salary cap.

“Kevvie kept telling me he wanted me to stay,” Bird told The Weekend Australian.

“I felt like if he wanted me to stay he could have stepped in. I love Kev. Me and Kev are good mates. There are no hard feelings.

“I understand the reasons they want to get rid of me. I spoke to Kev last night. He rang me and asked if I was going.

“I told Kev I understand from your point of view and the club’s point of view that you want to free up some (salary cap) space.

“It is a business in the end. I was looking forward to playing for Kev this year but obviously they had different intentions.

“They wanted to get rid of me — they might not tell me that — but I know they wanted to get rid of me.”

Fortunately, the Dragons stepped in with a contract that provided Bird with some certainty. He inked a two-year-deal that will be supplemented by the Broncos and provide the added bonus of allowing him to return to family — genetic as well as his footballing.

Bird played junior rugby league for the Berkeley Eagles and under 20s for the Dragons before signing with Cronulla. He moved away from his nearest and dearest to join the Broncos but was given a painful reminder of the importance of family only last month when his grandmother passed away.

“I saw her a week before she passed away,” Bird said.

“She got real sick. She had a heart attack. Life is too short. You never know when you will take your last breath. I want to be around my family.

“I am happy to be home. It was a tougher decision than what everyone would think. Last night I woke up at 4am in the morning, laying in my bed thinking am I making the right decision here.

“I know deep down it is the right decision. I always had a plan on coming back to the Dragons and where I started.

“I never thought it would be this early in my career. Hopefully I can get my body up and going and prove to everyone what I can do.

“I have had a lot of people write me off and I am only 25. I am a big NFL fan and I see people over there who have been through the same injury and come back.

“It is not the end. I will be wanted (at the Dragons) and I won’t feel like I am walking around with people thinking they don’t want me there. “

Bird only played 17 games over his three years in Brisbane. He played eight games in 2018 before shoulder and sternum injuries cut his season short. He managed nine games in 2019 before he suffered his first knee reconstruction.

This year he missed the entire season when he suffered a knee injury in pre-season. He is expected to make his return for the Dragons in the back row as Griffin looks to ease him back into action.

Once he has some confidence in his knee, he is expected to be moved to a position where his explosive power will be better used.

“I am a bit nervous,” Bird said.

“My plan was to stay (at the Broncos) for the full contract. It just didn’t go to plan and the Broncos didn’t want me there.

“I didn’t want to be a burden to the club. I obviously didn’t show them my best because I was injured and when I was on the field, I didn’t stay on it very long.

“It was very tough. It is one of those things where I moved my life up there to play for another team and I was all-in.

“It just didn’t work out. It just didn’t go to plan. I felt like I needed a change as well because of what has gone on up there with me.

“I felt like they gave up on me because of my injuries. There is no better feeling than coming back to Wollongong and back to the Dragons, where it all started.”

His plan is to be back for round one next year and hit the ground running.

“I should be right for round one but in saying that I don’t want to rush my body,” he said.

“I have been through too much already. I want to make sure I am 100 per cent right in my body and my head. I think once I get that sorted I will be back to where I was — or even better.

“I feel strong.I just need to get this knee right. There is no doubt about any other parts of my body. I have no doubt in my mind I can get back to where I was.

“I am ready to prove everyone wrong. I have been in the background for too long. I know once my body is 100 per cent I will be twice the player I was. I need to be happy.

“If I am happy, I am going to play my best footy.”

BRENT READ

8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a

Share this article

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/jack-bird-is-expected-to-be-a-st-george-illawarra-player-as-early-as-friday/news-story/81973b8087b23514e74a2d89e66603e0

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Welch two x ACLS
Rylz two x ACLs

These are the only two players I can remember as successfully returning from 2 x acl recons

Rylz i believe did his both at 17 and 18yrs of age? Plus an mcl, pcl?

Forwards though not backs. Not any backs i can think of have done 2 x ACLs nor hardly any athletes in any sport and returned to top level

For me if broncos did pay 500k, we did fixed portion at 300k and Bird has backed himself for game payments for the remaining $150k in 2021.......well if so then i think he is worth the risk and he still gets his $950k

Broncos win via $450k freed up in 2021 which is a significant amount

Bird wins back at home and he will get his whole contract if he plays most games in 2021 and if he doesn't he still gets $800k plus for rehab back at home

We win via limited payment in 2021 if all fails re bird returning

My gut feeling is the 2022 contract would be subject to games played in 2021

Ie if bird play 10 plus games in 2021 and does not suffer a 3rd ACL then he will get a base of $ x? Plus game payments in 2022

Birdy is certainly not in the driving seat with this negotiation and we certainly are

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Just to be clear teddy only did his acl once and his ankle another occasion

The second knee injury was his patella only

Massive difference

Two acls vs one acl and returning to top "game performance" is chalk and cheese

Brisbane know this
We know this
Bird and his drs know this
Birds manager knows this

Birds contract reflects this in 2021 and in 2022 no doubt

BLM01

First Grade
Yesterday I secured a season ticket because of the Jack Bird signing - one of my favourite players .. I have a feeling he will overcome injuries this season and be an inspiration for the young ones ... #grandfinalwinner #experienced
I agree. If fit and staying on the field (big if ATM) he provides that X-factor aggression we need that people are whingeing that we missed out on Hipgrave. If Hipgrave is so worthy a team like the Titans would not let him go.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade

Massive difference

Brisbane know this
We know this
Birds manager knows this

Yes re Tedesco you forgot about his broken jaw
I'll give you some other names in recent memory Tautau Moga, Coote & Jordon Kahu
And at NRL level it is similar to the point that he missed a lot of football early when young (1st 3-4 years) albeit I grant you the mental scars from doing your ACL twice is a big hurdle and Yes you might lose some speed etc. We will see.

Dragsters

First Grade

Massive difference

Brisbane know this
We know this
Birds manager knows this

I stand corrected re teddy.

Thanks AG.

My post I guess, was more in response to the apparent argument that Bird is supposedly "injury prone".

Just because a player has a bad run with long term injury, does not mean they cannot go on to have a fruitful career...

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Welch two x ACLS
Rylz two x ACLs

These are the only two players I can remember as successfully returning from 2 x acl recons

Rylz i believe did his both at 17 and 18yrs of age? Plus an mcl, pcl?

Forwards though not backs. Not any backs i can think of have done 2 x ACLs nor hardly any athletes in any sport and returned to top level

For me if broncos did pay 500k, we did fixed portion at 300k and Bird has backed himself for game payments for the remaining $150k in 2021.......well if so then i think he is worth the risk and he still gets his $950k

Broncos win via $450k freed up in 2021 which is a significant amount

Bird wins back at home and he will get his whole contract if he plays most games in 2021 and if he doesn't he still gets $800k plus for rehab back at home

We win via limited payment in 2021 if all fails re bird returning

My gut feeling is the 2022 contract would be subject to games played in 2021

Ie if bird play 10 plus games in 2021 and does not suffer a 3rd ACL then he will get a base of $ x? Plus game payments in 2022

Birdy is certainly not in the driving seat with this negotiation and we certainly are

Which is why it makes senses to fashion him into either an edge runner or lock and have him playing in the forwards, it looks as if this is Hooks plan. Have him running direct and minimise the amount of directional changes he otherwise would make playing in the backline, negating the chance of injury as much as possible

I do understand where you are coming from mate , however there is ‘ a cherry on top of the icing ‘ with Griffin as our new coach . Quite simply he will improve the players skills a hundredfold compared to the previous individual who was in charge .

Also I believe that there shall be unity among the players and the team as a whole , but also a newfound sense of “ we can achieve “ attitude , not as in the past when the team seemly looked completely lost and disinterested .

Duffy , as all the Dragon player’s performances will improve dramatically under the 3 amigos so looking at it from that perspective Duffy will continue in the fullback role next season . Of course young Cody Ramsey would be the heir apparent to that position should the Duff be injured .

I'm glad you didn't refer to the previous individual as a coach.

Straight Shooter