What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So according to both NRL.com and the profiles on the club's official site we have:

* = player option
¢ = club option
^ = development contract

Utility: Rankin (30)
Fullback: Gutherson
W/C: Blake, Dunster (22), Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Opacic (27), Sivo (28)
Half: D.Brown, Moses
Hooker: Lussick (26), Mahoney
Edge forward: Lane, Matterson, Niukore, Papali'i
Tight forward: Alvaro (28), N.Brown (28), Campbell-Gillard, Hollis (20), Hughes (20), Kaufusi, Paulo, Stone (24)

Utility: -
Fullback: Gutherson (28)
W/C: Blake, M.Jennings (34)*
Half: D.Brown, Moses (28)*
Hooker: Mahoney (24)
Edge forward: Lane, Matterson (28)*, Niukore (26), Papali'i (24)
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard, Kaufusi (23), Paulo (29)

Fullback: -
W/C: Blake (29)
Half: D.Brown (23)
Hooker: -
Edge forward: Lane (29)
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard*

W/C: -
Half: -
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard (31)¢

So we (officially) have 24 merkins in next year's top 30.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
https://www.zerotackle.com/queensland-20s-side-announced-27535/

2017 Queensland Under-20s Origin side

Squad in alphabetical order

Corey Allan (Brisbane Broncos)
Alexander Brimson (Gold Coast Titans)
Gerome Burns (Brisbane Broncos)
Patrick Carrigan (Brisbane Broncos)
Brodie Croft (Melbourne Storm)
Mitch Dunn (North Queensland Cowboys)
Harry Grant (Melbourne Storm)
Keegan Hipgrave (Gold Coast Titans)
Corey Horsburgh (North Queensland Cowboys)
Bernard Lewis (Sydney Roosters)
Keenan Palasia (Brisbane Broncos)
Hiale Roycroft (North Queensland Cowboys)
Tristan Sailor (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Phillip Sami (Gold Coast Titans)
Gehamat Shibasaki (Brisbane Broncos)
Tom Skinner (Penrith Panthers)
Jaydn Su’A (Brisbane Broncos)
Apiata Noema-Matenga (Gold Coast Titans)

Coach: Justin Hodges

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Four more merkins:

* = player option
¢ = club option
^ = development contract

Utility: Rankin (30), Smith (29)
W/C: Blake, Dunster (22), Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Oldfield (31), Opacic (27), Sivo (28)
Hooker: Lussick (26), Mahoney, Roache (25)^
Edge forward: Hipgrave, Lane, Matterson, Niukore, Papali'i
Tight forward: Alvaro (28), N.Brown (28), Campbell-Gillard, Hollis (20), Hughes (20), Kaufusi, Paulo, Stone (24)

Edge forward: Hipgrave (25)¢, Lane, Matterson (28)*, Niukore (26), Papali'i (24)

So we (officially) have 27 merkins in next year's top 30.

Delboy

First Grade
hard to get excited over any of our signings so far
The main thing is what big names have moved, a couple of decent players returning to where they started on the Gold Coast, our starting side is basically set with only the question on Mennings to cover/consider.

Basically in the past 12/24 months we signed 3 Origin level forwards , Fergo and Sivo so lets not get too despondent , what is needed is fill the gaps behind the top side and refresh the back ups, which is what the club is doing.

Outside of the Roosters , most clubs have to balance their cap and to be honest , that’s seems to be the case at Parra. Having said that, the pressure is now on as the roster Iooks top 4 and the coaching needs to show its able to take the team further into the finals.

Chipmunk

Coach
So according to both NRL.com and the profiles on the club's official site we have:

* = player option
¢ = club option
^ = development contract

Utility: Rankin (30)
W/C: Blake, Dunster (22), Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Opacic (27), Sivo (28)
Hooker: Lussick (26), Mahoney
Edge forward: Lane, Matterson, Niukore, Papali'i

Edge forward: Lane, Matterson (28)*, Niukore (26), Papali'i (24)

So we (officially) have 24 merkins in next year's top 30.

So if we had 24 players at 10.14pm on Friday.

Four more merkins:

* = player option
¢ = club option
^ = development contract

Utility: Rankin (30), Smith (29)
W/C: Blake, Dunster (22), Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Oldfield (31), Opacic (27), Sivo (28)
Hooker: Lussick (26), Mahoney, Roache (25)^
Edge forward: Hipgrave, Lane, Matterson, Niukore, Papali'i

Edge forward: Hipgrave (25)¢, Lane, Matterson (28)*, Niukore (26), Papali'i (24)

So we (officially) have 27 merkins in next year's top 30.

How did we sign 4 players the next day and only have 27 players in the squad?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The main thing is what big names have moved, a couple of decent players returning to where they started on the Gold Coast, our starting side is basically set with only the question on Mennings to cover/consider.

Basically in the past 12/24 months we signed 3 Origin level forwards , Fergo and Sivo so lets not get too despondent , what is needed is fill the gaps behind the top side and refresh the back ups, which is what the club is doing.

Outside of the Roosters , most clubs have to balance their cap and to be honest , that’s seems to be the case at Parra. Having said that, the pressure is now on as the roster Iooks top 4 and the coaching needs to show its able to take the team further into the finals.

do you believe we have strengthened our squad ?

Delboy

First Grade
do you believe we have strengthened our squad ?
It isn’t any weaker , who was available to get you excited and would complement our cap and come to Sydney. It’s not fantasy football where anyone and everyone is available for some suggested amount. The club has been active which posters complain about regularly that they don’t do anything, now we don’t get to sign Munster, JAC, or similar it’s the sky is falling in.

Remember Gutho was regarded as a crock by most and Junior was slow and fat as well as the others signed, can’t please too many people when social media is the most negative function around.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It isn’t any weaker , who was available to get you excited and would complement our cap and come to Sydney. It’s not fantasy football where anyone and everyone is available for some suggested amount. The club has been active which posters complain about regularly that they don’t do anything, now we don’t get to sign Munster, JAC, or similar it’s the sky is falling in.

Remember Gutho was regarded as a crock by most and Junior was slow and fat as well as the others signed, can’t please too many people when social media is the most negative function around.

yes I'm aware of the reality of it all but other teams can do deals to get players into their squad who weren't previously on the market, mainly the top teams who have their position on the ladder as something players want to aspire to so they manage to do deals

my concern is both centres, 1 will be out for about a season or so and the other is barely average

the way I see it, we will not finish any higher than this year as its the same squad and if anything, its weaker without Jenko

without investment or identifying players who can improve the squad we are just rinse and repeat of last season, give or take

Delboy

First Grade
Here’s the question, we did get players that were still on contract, not sure who’s out there to replace someone who until the B sample is returned is still contracted and on the roster.

Sure, we all want to sign a top rate centre, is Crichton going to leave the Riff etc, until someone can do the things that Uncle Nick brings to the table it will be tough. Did you want Cotric at $650k on the cap, JAC asking for at least that.

Who do you suggest we chase with a chance of signing and would fit under the cap, that’s the answer to your question.

Noise

Coach
yes I'm aware of the reality of it all but other teams can do deals to get players into their squad who weren't previously on the market, mainly the top teams who have their position on the ladder as something players want to aspire to so they manage to do deals

my concern is both centres, 1 will be out for about a season or so and the other is barely average

the way I see it, we will not finish any higher than this year as its the same squad and if anything, its weaker without Jenko

without investment or identifying players who can improve the squad we are just rinse and repeat of last season, give or take
This.

One thing that we all seem to agree on is that in 2020 our top 13 was often good enough but we had a significant drop off when 14-17 came on. Our current new signings don’t make much (any) improvement. On top of that our top 13 is weaker without a performance enhanced Jennings. It’s still not a premiership winning squad.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
This.

One thing that we all seem to agree on is that in 2020 our top 13 was often good enough but we had a significant drop off when 14-17 came on. Our current new signings don’t make much (any) improvement. On top of that our top 13 is weaker without a performance enhanced Jennings. It’s still not a premiership winning squad.
And then you factor in the coaching staff, we will be lucky to finish top 4 next year. With a few injuries to key players we will struggle to make the 8.

ALX25

Bench
I don't get the hysterical hate for Hipgrave. There is an NRL quality player there who just needs a 'tough' coach to guide him. Hopefully he can follow the same trajectory as Nathan Brown. This is probably his last chance to make it so it is now up to him. I wish him well.