What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Not The Sunshine Coast Wolfpack?

Gareth67

First Grade
07C88303-B9F2-4B8B-B192-4F8DE41B8863.jpeg

Well I am with possum on this one . I think that it is a damn good idea , however I would get rid of the Wolfpack emblem and replace it with our own Australian critter - the ferocious echidna .

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
What about the Sunshine Coast Possums. They could have a great lineup.
1.RTS
2.JAC
3.Crichton
4. Lomax
5. Cotric
6.Wighton
7. Cleary
8.Paulo
9. Koroisau
10. Papalii
11. Kikau
12.Crichton
13.JT
14. Haas
15.Klemmer
16. Yeo
17. Capewell

obviously there are a few players unlucky to miss out, but I think it’s a good blend of players still under contract, and a few they couldn’t afford.

What about the Sunshine Coast Possums. They could have a great lineup.
1.RTS
2.JAC
3.Crichton
4. Lomax
5. Cotric
6.Wighton
7. Cleary
8.Paulo
9. Koroisau
10. Papalii
11. Kikau
12.Crichton
13.JT
14. Haas
15.Klemmer
16. Yeo
17. Capewell

obviously there are a few players unlucky to miss out, but I think it’s a good blend of players still under contract, and a few they couldn’t afford.

Dufty back up five eighth.

In all seriousness, if the Redcliffe Dolphins make the NRL they would keep there Dolphins heritage and play majority of games out of Dolphin Park and Suncorp Stadium.
With Redcliffe being in the outer Northern Suburbs of Brisbane yes it makes sense to take a game or 2 up to the Sunshine Coast to expand there territory.
Personally I hope there is a second Brisbane team soon as it would apply extra pressure on the Broncos to perform and it would allow footy to be played each week in S/E QLD.
My primary footy focus is supporting my Dragons but second priority is then supporting everyone who is playing the Broncos each week (yes still have mental scars from 92-93).

BLM01

First Grade
Why not?
Not enough players to fill a Top 30 x 17 teams on NRL contracts.
You would have to reduce NRL top squad contracts down to say 20 odd and then bring back in a proper pathway competitive reserve grade feeder for each club who are allowed to step up for injury and or poor form
Then the many fringe or young players with reserve grade contracts will have to fight hard and improve or prove themselves in 1st's to earn a NRL contract and vice versa hold onto one with form with young or competitive reserve graders nipping at their heels.

possm

Coach
In all seriousness, if the Redcliffe Dolphins make the NRL they would keep there Dolphins heritage and play majority of games out of Dolphin Park and Suncorp Stadium.
With Redcliffe being in the outer Northern Suburbs of Brisbane yes it makes sense to take a game or 2 up to the Sunshine Coast to expand there territory.
Personally I hope there is a second Brisbane team soon as it would apply extra pressure on the Broncos to perform and it would allow footy to be played each week in S/E QLD.
My primary footy focus is supporting my Dragons but second priority is then supporting everyone who is playing the Broncos each week (yes still have mental scars from 92-93).
The Sunshine Coast Dolphins makes sense to me because it is a larger catchment area. Pickup some experienced players and maybe the head coach of the Wolfpack. Hopefully pick up some media attention and sponsors as well.

Redcliffe are in the Sunshine Coast Cricket District. By expanding to the north they pickup junior clubs from Moreton Bay to Wide Bay. Would be a better plan than just compete with Brisbane for players in Brisbane. It seems me to be just like Saints; St Gorge District to the Illawarra.

3 teams in South East Queensland is enough; Gold Coast, Brisbane and Sunshine Coast. A Central Queensland team out of Rockhampton should finish off NRL expansion in Queensland.

blue bags

First Grade
Melbourne storm could, might play, relocate, base there, cause of corona again nezt year.
Adelaide Wolfpack , central coast Wolfpack . Perth Wolfpack ;)

possm

Coach
I think it would be better for the NRL if Melbourne finally rolled up their sleeves and rolled out a program to develop/establish junior rugby league clubs or establish rugby league in more sports clubs in Melbourne and surrounding cities.

It seems to me that Melbourne goes for the easy pickings in South East Queensland where the game of rugby league is already established. The NRL should develop a model for expansion that should include the establishment of junior and state competitions.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
I think it would be better for the NRL if Melbourne finally roled up their sleeves and rolled out a program to develop/establish junior rugby league clubs or establish rugby league in more sports clubs in Melbourne and surrounding cities.

It seems to me that Melbourne goes for the easy pickings in South East Queensland where the game of rugby league is already established. The NRL should develop a model for expansion that should include the establishment of junior and state competitions.

Your right possum , I always believed that was what the NRL had in mind in the first instance - to evolve the game in the state of Victoria , but alsoto get the younger generation away from arial ping pong and play a mans game .

But there’s been no expansion of rugby league down South whatsoever . No other teams have ever been mentioned to become a Victorian based entity , thus ensuring that Melbourne receives a saloon passage to the finals by being the only league team in the state .

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I think it would be better for the NRL if Melbourne finally roled up their sleeves and rolled out a program to develop/establish junior rugby league clubs or establish rugby league in more sports clubs in Melbourne and surrounding cities.

Yeah this is true for sure.