What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure Mansour knew Staines would be breathing down his neck, but it’s another thing to be told Staines will have the spot come round 1.

Honestly I have no problem with it, but I reckon 48hrs after the GF is a little rough.

Alintheeast

Juniors
Remember when Matt Moylan went to Origin camp and found out about his true worth. Matt had a real contract not a handshake deal. I can imagine Critter being Manu’s centre partner in 2021. Just a thought.

Remember when Matt Moylan went to Origin camp and found out about his true worth. Matt had a real contract not a handshake deal. I can imagine Critter being Manu’s centre partner in 2021. Just a thought.

Won’t be in 2021, Roosters just re-signed the Morris brothers. And Crichton is contracted here next season.

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m sure Mansour knew Staines would be breathing down his neck, but it’s another thing to be told Staines will have the spot come round 1.

Honestly I have no problem with it, but I reckon 48hrs after the GF is a little rough.

Was he told Staines was in or just likely? Too far out to have a spot promised to a rookie

This has happened over the years. An all-time good guy, fan favourite and wonderful player and servant for so many years being let go to usher in a new era of player(s).

Same thing happened at the end of 1989 when long-serving forward Matt Goodwin was let go to accommodate players such as Peter Tunks and Paul Clarke coming to the club. It wasn’t a popular decision at the time but it sure paved the way for Clarke to play his part in delivering the elusive premiership (Tunks not so much, though he was the bigger signing of the two).

Time will tell if the right decision has been made here.

I wish Josh all the best :thumbsup:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

The problem is when is a good time to tell him.

Surely Sauce knew this was likely after seeing Staines debut. I think Sauce is reacting raher than looking at it logically.....(which is understandable)

Blade23

Juniors

No. We have a deal his new manager is squeezing us for more.
It will be all sorted out soon.

Blade23

Juniors
Just on Sauce it is never easy to tell someone it is time go. Particularly when someone has been loyal and passionate for the club.
He was told early so he knew where he stood. Maybe it could have been handled a little differently.
He is a popular player in the team and the decision has rubbed up a few of the players.
It can be hard to say to a young player please show some loyalty and extend when a popular loyal clubman is moved on.

martielang

Bench
Honestly, I reckon it’s a real risky move offloading Tamou, Whare & Mansour. Not only for their experience & the ability to teach the younger ones coming through but surely it’s also got to have a negative effect on team morale / culture as well.

Wouldn’t be the way I’d go.

Blade23

Juniors
As much as we love Josh, there are some pretty laughable quotes in there.

being told at a cafe straight after a grand final loss that I wasn’t wanted - maybe he wanted to be told during the team's 17 game winning streak?

I think I am good enough to play first grade at Penrith - if Staines stays fit earlier in the year, Mansour would likely already have been out of the team.

I know I have plenty left in me and I think I can be at the top for at least another three years. - I can only guess he means playing NRL. He hasn't been at his top for a couple of seasons at least. And yes, there are teams where he can play NRL for another 3 years - it just wont't be at the Panthers on the money he's on now.

Anyway my takeaway from the article is that Josh will be at a new club by Xmas. Sad for both sides but for too long Panthers have been governed by emotion & sentimentality. If we ran in the bottom 4 clubs this year & didn't have guys of the cailbre of Staines looking for a shot, then absolutely look to keep Josh as a 1 club player.

But we've heard from @Blade23 that 2022 cap is going to particularly tight - meaning Josh won't get a deal with us after 2021. As a club, no point holding back someone that will be at the club in 2022 for someone that won't be.

Cap will be a nightmare come 2022. It is getting harder and harder. The values of some players we want to keep are going up and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.