What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks moving to Kogarah

Quigs

Immortal
But but but ....... it is all geographical when it comes to decisions involving the NRL (and channel Nein and Gyngel)

My two bobs worth, never trust the NRL to do the right thing by us.

But but but ....... it is all geographical when it comes to decisions involving the NRL (and channel Nein and Gyngel)

I dont trust NRL but surely real $ trumps any bunged up geographical argument from chook raffling clubs..Sounds like could be a real goer to me..

I tend to agree with you, Mr., but read between the lines on this one.
Dino is inviting the NRL into a partnership, one where the NRL will actually have a percentage share in an asset, something the NRL does not have.
Also imagine how stupid the NRL will look if they put all their backing into a council funded oval which will only house 6 major NRL games a year, plus the odd SFC game, as the soccer team has a contract with the SCG Trust.
They have rightfully pointed out that the Shire has the third biggest junior rugby league in Sydney, and the NRL has backed the two biggest nurseries, Penrith and Parra, to get new grounds in their respective precincts. Do the NRL want to look more incompetent by backing an area which has f**k all juniors, haven't for years, and a team that only kind of occasionally play there.
A partnership at Shark Park means a minimum of 12 big games a year, plus all the junior rugby league, soccer, and the SD Rugby team.
Dino, or someone from the board, has the game of politics down very well.
Alsoplustoo
If we are in a partnership with the NRL, the chatter of cutting a team won't be landing on us

R-15-3

Juniors
I like the idea but is it to late?? If they came out with this 2 years ago the chances would be a lot higher.

I like the idea but is it to late?? If they came out with this 2 years ago the chances would be a lot higher.
I think the point the Sharks management are trying to convey is that they weren't consulted on any of these plans. The powers that be assumed that we would bend over and tow the party line.
Sharks management are basically saying "f**k you" to both the NRL and NSW Govt. Let them go ahead and build the white elephant in Carlton, and while you're at it kiss your jobs good bye because of the waste of money it will be.

Besides two years ago they were rebuilding Homebush, this is some of the money that was assigned for that project, so that point is moot as it wasn't on the table.

Edit: plus the fact the Govt would have been in consultation with the NRL and probably were getting assurances tthat the ground would get about 18 games per season, well worth it. We don't comply and their plans are in disarray.
The Liverpool project will get both the Tigers and Bulldogs playing there, even the Brookvale one will get their two local RU sides besides the Sea Eagles, and those two RU sides do actually get crowds to their games, Union is still a big sport on the Northern Beaches.
At the very least it may delay the Carlton project, and who knows maybe they will have to compromise and pay our club to play a few games there.

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Devils Advocate here. If lets say that the NRL does enter into a partnership with 'us'. What is to stop them eventually 'branch stacking' the board and then having decision control over how the Sharks move forward into the future.

Right now we are particularly rock solid and unfortunately with Covid we are even more secure than most other clubs.

I just don't and never will trust the bastards. You want a recent example than never go past the decision they made for the token chics Round Robin Rugby League and our clubs expulsion from any involvement.

Eion

First Grade
I hear ya quigsy, nrl are merkins.

But I am amused at the thought of poor old George Capsis smearing his tighty whiteys at waking up to the possibility of a much bigger stadium in his backyard.

Devils Advocate here. If lets say that the NRL does enter into a partnership with 'us'. What is to stop them eventually 'branch stacking' the board and then having decision control over how the Sharks move forward into the future.

Right now we are particularly rock solid and unfortunately with Covid we are even more secure than most other clubs.

I just don't and never will trust the bastards. You want a recent example than never go past the decision they made for the token chics Round Robin Rugby League and our clubs expulsion from any involvement.
I get it mate.
I would say it's only a "partnership" of the ground itself, not the club. Dino even said that the Govt can be part of that partnership.
So they would get a part of the revenue on game days and events held there. You'd think there would be a push for other organisations to use the ground if this was the case.

Quigs

Immortal
I too understand where you are coming from BBB and it has a lot of good points but bottom line is "I just don't trust them".

The yellowback NRLers just cower to the power of the wishes of those that control theTV contracts.

also see where the F.W. Buzz is stirring the pot again with Coaching rumours. COAT he is.

I too understand where you are coming from BBB and it has a lot of good points but bottom line is "I just don't trust them".

The yellowback NRLers just cower to the power of the wishes of those that control theTV contracts.

also see where the F.W. Buzz is stirring the pot again with Coaching rumours. COAT he is.
Not just Buzz, it's News doing it. Brent Read did an article a couple of days ago as well. I can get access, I'll post them

R-15-3

Juniors
Whys that?
More along the lines of have the nsw government and nrl made the decision already? If this idea was out there before that would it be more a possibility. Not blaming the club at all more like not realising u are in love with someone and waiting till the wedding day to conference your love.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I think the point the Sharks management are trying to convey is that they weren't consulted on any of these plans. The powers that be assumed that we would bend over and tow the party line.
Sharks management are basically saying "f**k you" to both the NRL and NSW Govt. Let them go ahead and build the white elephant in Carlton, and while you're at it kiss your jobs good bye because of the waste of money it will be.

Besides two years ago they were rebuilding Homebush, this is some of the money that was assigned for that project, so that point is moot as it wasn't on the table.

Edit: plus the fact the Govt would have been in consultation with the NRL and probably were getting assurances tthat the ground would get about 18 games per season, well worth it. We don't comply and their plans are in disarray.
The Liverpool project will get both the Tigers and Bulldogs playing there, even the Brookvale one will get their two local RU sides besides the Sea Eagles, and those two RU sides do actually get crowds to their games, Union is still a big sport on the Northern Beaches.
At the very least it may delay the Carlton project, and who knows maybe they will have to compromise and pay our club to play a few games there.
Just be grateful Dino is steering the ship hey.....little Baz would have signed on the dotted line long ago. Other upside of the new stadium at Shark park is the state of the art facilities and a brand spanking new leagues club (internally). Imagine building the new stadium at Kogarah and having to try and interest the patrons in going to the Taj.....FMD.

Tiger Shark

Bench
More along the lines of have the nsw government and nrl made the decision already? If this idea was out there before that would it be more a possibility. Not blaming the club at all more like not realising u are in love with someone and waiting till the wedding day to conference your love.

You mean how they had made the decision to upgrade ANZ and then back flipped? They even had proposed designs done up.

So no I don’t think it’s too late what so ever.

taipan

Referee
I tend to agree with you, Mr., but read between the lines on this one.
Dino is inviting the NRL into a partnership, one where the NRL will actually have a percentage share in an asset, something the NRL does not have.
Also imagine how stupid the NRL will look if they put all their backing into a council funded oval which will only house 6 major NRL games a year, plus the odd SFC game, as the soccer team has a contract with the SCG Trust.
They have rightfully pointed out that the Shire has the third biggest junior rugby league in Sydney, and the NRL has backed the two biggest nurseries, Penrith and Parra, to get new grounds in their respective precincts. Do the NRL want to look more incompetent by backing an area which has f**k all juniors, haven't for years, and a team that only kind of occasionally play there.
A partnership at Shark Park means a minimum of 12 big games a year, plus all the junior rugby league, soccer, and the SD Rugby team.
Dino, or someone from the board, has the game of politics down very well.
Alsoplustoo
If we are in a partnership with the NRL, the chatter of cutting a team won't be landing on us

I have but one response to that well outlined view of yours: CORRECT

R-15-3

Juniors
You mean how they had made the decision to upgrade ANZ and then back flipped? They even had proposed designs done up.

I’m not saying it’s not a chance of happening and I hope it does I’m a fan of the idea.

King Ben

Juniors