What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

blue bags

First Grade
coach griffo talking about dragons, bird, on radio sen yesterday
birdie could cover a lot of positions in the team, griffo, from front row
to fullback ;)

possm

Coach
I hope Bird who plays with a never say die attitude can embarrass Norman into having a go for the full 80 minutes.
If Norman has a good year it will because Griffin can produce good game plans to suit his game and because he wants a new lucrative contract at any club for 2022 and beyond.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Norman will have a great year if he simply reduces the shit kicks

If the guy is kicking at an elite level in general play like sowie developed then the rest will follow

He needs to adjust his kicking action as he round houses to much and it leads to shit kicks

Sowie will help him

Crush

Coach
Jack Bird returns to St George Illawarra after injury-plagued stint at Broncos

Jack Bird’s time at the Broncos has been dogged by a series of injuries
  • BRENT READ
    SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
    @brentread_7
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
  • 10:35AM NOVEMBER 6, 2020
  • 2 COMMENTS
Jack Bird is coming home. Back to where it all began. He never played first grade for St George Illawarra but he is a Wollongong boy who always planned to return to the Dragons at some point in his career.

That time has now arrived, albeit ahead of schedule and under circumstances that he still finds difficult to fully comprehend. He will return to pre-season training on November 17 under Anthony Griffin with a chip on his shoulder and a determination to prove a point to those who question whether multiple knee reconstructions have tempered his ability.

On his day, Bird is a State of Origin player. Those days were few and far between at the Brisbane Broncos thanks to two catastrophic injuries. As he recovered from a second knee surgery, Bird got the sense that he was unwanted.

Brisbane coach Kevin Walters told Bird that he would like him to stay and see out the final year of his contract, worth upwards of $950,000. Others told Bird that he was free to go because the Broncos needed to ease the strain on their salary cap.

“Kevvie kept telling me he wanted me to stay,” Bird told The Weekend Australian.

“I felt like if he wanted me to stay he could have stepped in. I love Kev. Me and Kev are good mates. There are no hard feelings.

“I understand the reasons they want to get rid of me. I spoke to Kev last night. He rang me and asked if I was going.

“I told Kev I understand from your point of view and the club’s point of view that you want to free up some (salary cap) space.

“It is a business in the end. I was looking forward to playing for Kev this year but obviously they had different intentions.

“They wanted to get rid of me — they might not tell me that — but I know they wanted to get rid of me.”

Fortunately, the Dragons stepped in with a contract that provided Bird with some certainty. He inked a two-year-deal that will be supplemented by the Broncos and provide the added bonus of allowing him to return to family — genetic as well as his footballing.

Bird played junior rugby league for the Berkeley Eagles and under 20s for the Dragons before signing with Cronulla. He moved away from his nearest and dearest to join the Broncos but was given a painful reminder of the importance of family only last month when his grandmother passed away.

“I saw her a week before she passed away,” Bird said.

“She got real sick. She had a heart attack. Life is too short. You never know when you will take your last breath. I want to be around my family.

“I am happy to be home. It was a tougher decision than what everyone would think. Last night I woke up at 4am in the morning, laying in my bed thinking am I making the right decision here.

“I know deep down it is the right decision. I always had a plan on coming back to the Dragons and where I started.

“I never thought it would be this early in my career. Hopefully I can get my body up and going and prove to everyone what I can do.

“I have had a lot of people write me off and I am only 25. I am a big NFL fan and I see people over there who have been through the same injury and come back.

“It is not the end. I will be wanted (at the Dragons) and I won’t feel like I am walking around with people thinking they don’t want me there. “

Bird only played 17 games over his three years in Brisbane. He played eight games in 2018 before shoulder and sternum injuries cut his season short. He managed nine games in 2019 before he suffered his first knee reconstruction.

This year he missed the entire season when he suffered a knee injury in pre-season. He is expected to make his return for the Dragons in the back row as Griffin looks to ease him back into action.

Once he has some confidence in his knee, he is expected to be moved to a position where his explosive power will be better used.

“I am a bit nervous,” Bird said.

“My plan was to stay (at the Broncos) for the full contract. It just didn’t go to plan and the Broncos didn’t want me there.

“I didn’t want to be a burden to the club. I obviously didn’t show them my best because I was injured and when I was on the field, I didn’t stay on it very long.

“It was very tough. It is one of those things where I moved my life up there to play for another team and I was all-in.

“It just didn’t work out. It just didn’t go to plan. I felt like I needed a change as well because of what has gone on up there with me.

“I felt like they gave up on me because of my injuries. There is no better feeling than coming back to Wollongong and back to the Dragons, where it all started.”

His plan is to be back for round one next year and hit the ground running.

“I should be right for round one but in saying that I don’t want to rush my body,” he said.

“I have been through too much already. I want to make sure I am 100 per cent right in my body and my head. I think once I get that sorted I will be back to where I was — or even better.

“I feel strong.I just need to get this knee right. There is no doubt about any other parts of my body. I have no doubt in my mind I can get back to where I was.

“I am ready to prove everyone wrong. I have been in the background for too long. I know once my body is 100 per cent I will be twice the player I was. I need to be happy.

“If I am happy, I am going to play my best footy.”

BRENT READ

8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a

Share this article

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/jack-bird-is-expected-to-be-a-st-george-illawarra-player-as-early-as-friday/news-story/81973b8087b23514e74a2d89e66603e0
So Bird, after missing the entire season this year, still may not be ready for round 1 next year?
"I JUST NEED TO GET MY KNEE RIGHT"
"ONCE MY BODY IS 100%"
Alarm bells ringing for me.
Very dangerous signing.

kit66

Bench
Jack Bird signing is risky, but there are slim pickings in the player market. I still think we should be looking at ESL as the Raiders have done and pick up some hard nosed forwards from there.

Maybe an experienced, hard nosed prop from ESL would help but I'd be looking at an Islander or two, Fiji, Samoa, New Zealand, league or even rugby players , big, strong, fast guys to take advantage of the new rules and faster game. Griffin will use the bench more wisely than you know who but he'll need to beef up our Forward pack before next season starts. More so if JDB isn't available.
Actually how about one of those Springbok forwards, those guys are huge. Just daydreaming now, sorry.

ALSGI

Bench
Yep, not training with th
So Bird, after missing the entire season this year, still may not be ready for round 1 next year?
"ONCE MY BODY IS 100%"
Very dangerous signing.
e squad until January.
And Hook doesn’t seem to want to say where he’ll play either.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
"ONCE MY BODY IS 100%"
Very dangerous signing.
I dunno..

I read that as though he’s building for round 1, just making sure he doesn’t have any injuries at training..

He did at least one of his ACL’s during training, so sounds like a smart move..

Crush

Coach
I dunno..

I read that as though he’s building for round 1, just making sure he doesn’t have any injuries at training..

He did at least one of his ACL’s during training, so sounds like a smart move..
Yeah still not what you want to hear is it?
Hes hoping to be fit?
Hook says he can play anywhere?
Id rather hear that he WILL be ready to go for round one and he has been signed to play X position.
Strategic. Positive.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Hes hoping to be fit?
Id rather hear that he WILL be ready to go for round one and he has been signed to play X position.
Strategic. Positive.
It’s the toughest preseason ever though..

You never can be too certain..

"ONCE MY BODY IS 100%"
Very dangerous signing.

Understand your concern Crush

It is a risky signing, however:

1. there are very few class players available
2. Bird has had a medical and has satisfied the club he will be good to go in 2021
3. He could play Fullback, Centre, Five eight, second row or lock
4. He will initially start from the bench
5. Until Hook reviews his roster in training, he won’t know where to best utilise him
6. Bird has ball playing skills so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing at 6 with Sullivan at 7 before the end of 2021 subject to Norman moving to another club and Hunt failing to inspire our attack

Crush

Coach
Understand your concern Crush

It is a risky signing, however:

1. there are very few class players available
2. Bird has had a medical and has satisfied the club he will be good to go in 2021
3. He could play Fullback, Centre, Five eight, second row or lock
4. He will initially start from the bench
5. Until Hook reviews his roster in training, he won’t know where to best utilise him
6. Bird has ball playing skills so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing at 6 with Sullivan at 7 before the end of 2021 subject to Norman moving to another club and Hunt failing to inspire our attack
Some good points SV.
Point number 1 worries me though mate.
Just because there are very few class players available doesn't mean we should be hasty with an injury prone Bird.
Anyway, enough said on this matter for now.
I will be hoping like all other supporters that he kills it for the Red V.

BLM01

First Grade
Jack Bird signing is risky, but there are slim pickings in the player market. I still think we should be looking at ESL as the Raiders have done and pick up some hard nosed forwards from there.
There are plenty of hard nosed forwards in this country. These just need better systems and more coaches who can develop that through to NRL
No difference with everyone saying there is a shortage of playmakers.
In fact there’s a shortage of every position at NRL standard level because the powers at be have forgotten about lower grades exposure and development to get more ready and available for NRL

blue bags

First Grade
Hes hoping to be fit?
Strategic. Positive.
yes hooki griffo said on sen sports radio, birdie can play 1,3,4,6,lock,front row

Latest posts