What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

ChocOConnor

Juniors
CC I had forgotten all about that moron McMoron did you have to mention his name. Just goes to show how the media can beat up someone credentials because he is a so called good bloke. A good bloke would recognize his wrongs and short comings and admit to the fact he may not be up to being a coach. But this dictator made a feel like we were living in an oppressed society and the media believed every he said. That’s called propaganda in the western world. I don’t care where he ends up but Siberia would be a start. These are the wounds he has left me with. I cannot stand him and told him late last year when I saw him on the coast after the last game. The guy should F off as his legacy of a great player is gone l.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Tom Am one from Souths front row would be handy also Angus Crieton.
Hopefully Debelin gets off and our forwards would hold their own.

Changa

Juniors
Not every player we sign needs to be on the crest of their career best form, they just need to do the required job for us. At the moment, that job we need filled is adding starch to our pack.

I'd be sounding out someone like Manu Ma'u to come over for a year or two. I'd also try to agitate Finucane out of his final year with storm. Those 2 would go a long way to fixing things for us.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Not every player we sign needs to be on the crest of their career best form, they just need to do the required job for us. At the moment, that job we need filled is adding starch to our pack.

I'd be sounding out someone like Manu Ma'u to come over for a year or two. I'd also try to agitate Finucane out of his final year with storm. Those 2 would go a long way to fixing things for us.
We just need someone to say to the rest follow me boys. Graham tried but it’s hard when you aren’t making any metres when you take hit ups.

BLM01

First Grade
speaking of mary how many clubs are still in the bidding war to sign him.
He did say in one interview after how much he has to offer he would even consider just being an assistant until the right role came up...waiting...crickets
Maybe his mate Brownie and even Gus at the Warriors will throw him that life line again!

Reactions: jak

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He did say in one interview after how much he has to offer he would even consider just being an assistant until the right role came up...waiting...crickets
Maybe his mate Brownie and even Gus at the Warriors will throw him that life line again!
I hope he does get a job in the NRL somewhere. It would be nice to have one more team vying for the bottom 8.

possm

Coach
In my opinion the Dragons need improvement all over the park and Griffin knows this. So pre-season 2021 will be a bit of a shock to some and a welcome opportunity to others. I can't think of one position in our team that does not need major improvement.

Having a mix of youth and experience and at last having what looks to be a professional coaching staff is a step in the right direction.

In 2021 we will improve on last season but the degree of improvement will largely depend on how each member of our squad can rise to the occasion each and every minute of a game. If our experienced players can step and play to the current value of their contract we will be half way there. If Griffin can bring along our young new talent, then we are on our way.

Discipline and pride will be essential elements in what Griffin is looking to base the rise of this squad on. So I predict that any player, no matter who he is, that does not show the standards Griffin is looking for will surely be made accountable.

In our backline we have good depth and some exciting juniors coming through. After looking at our possible NRL 17 and at our Canterbury Cup 17, I believe we have the squad (with the recruitment of a couple more experienced first grade forwards) to be competitive each and every game in 2021. All we need are the elements of fitness, pride and discipline to give the team the confidence to compete.

jak

Bench
life line or anchor?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting to reflect on the statement mafe a week or so ago that we are hoping to sign a couple of forwards "before Christmas". Looking at what's available, there are very slim pickings of quality forwards. Some are still contracted.

The focus could be shifting to the ESL, where the process of negotiation takes longer, and even then theres passports, visas and quarantine.

This then would make the 'before Christmas' statement pretty accurate.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Interesting to reflect on the statement mafe a week or so ago that we are hoping to sign a couple of forwards "before Christmas". Looking at what's available, there are very slim pickings of quality forwards. Some are still contracted.

The focus could be shifting to the ESL, where the process of negotiation takes longer, and even then theres passports, visas and quarantine.

Let’s not forget, there are plenty of contracted players out there who suddenly become available do to clubs needing to move them on for various reasons..

Particularly now that we have passed November 1, the time leading up to Christmas really is silly season when it comes to player movements..

I reckon we’ll release one or two of our own & sign some quality..

denis preston

First Grade

Salty has hinted that this may be a avenue we are looking at.

qld redvee

Juniors
i would like to think that our new coaches are all over the quality of our current roster and are identifying areas of "concern" If griffin has already had informal chats to the players then I would say griffin has worked out if they are going to fit into his plans . . But does he feel we need MORE than the spots we have available ? Realistically how could we move any of our players on without paying a chunk of their salary if any player doesnt measure up in griffins opinion .. If we get 2 "quality" forwards then we could probably get through 2021 with an eye on a "cleanout " for 2022 where the squad is strengthened even more. But as mentioned by a lot of forum members now that its silly season anything is possible

possm

Coach
i would like to think that our new coaches are all over the quality of our current roster and are identifying areas of "concern" If griffin has already had informal chats to the players then I would say griffin has worked out if they are going to fit into his plans . . But does he feel we need MORE than the spots we have available ? Realistically how could we move any of our players on without paying a chunk of their salary if any player doesnt measure up in griffins opinion .. If we get 2 "quality" forwards then we could probably get through 2021 with an eye on a "cleanout " for 2022 where the squad is strengthened even more. But as mentioned by a lot of forum members now that its silly season anything is possible
If Griffin wants to get rid of Norman he must sit Norman down and tell him that he won't be in the top 17 in 2021. So if he can find a new start at a new club he is free to do so.

Norman's manager should be told that Saints will release Norman if requested to do so but will not entertain paying any funds to him or a new club if he is released.

BLM01

First Grade
If Griffin wants to get rid of Norman he must sit Norman down and tell him that he won't be in the top 17 in 2021. So if he can find a new start at a new club he is free to do so.

Norman's manager should be told that Saints will release Norman if requested to do so but will not entertain paying any funds to him or a new club if he is released.
That will work..great idea. :rolleyes:
Then ask yourself how does that benefit us when another club even if they wanted him would demand his $800K + salary partly paid so then our chances of a release if they were not zip before.. they most certainly are now.
He will happily play reggies or X-Box for the year if you pay him.

possm

Coach
That will work..great idea. :rolleyes:
Then ask yourself how does that benefit us when another club even if they wanted him would demand his $800K + salary partly paid so then our chances of a release if they were not zip before.. they most certainly are now.
He will happily play reggies or X-Box for the year if you pay him.
Griffin is a smart operator, he will just stare him down and select him in reserve grade. 12 months in reserve grade with no hope of an extension is not what Norman would want. He want a big salary and if he performs for the Dogs, they might be silly enough to pay up.

Drakon

Juniors
Salty has hinted that this may be a avenue we are looking at.
Hi Denis. I believe Salty was answering an earlier question from Biglance who asked 'Are we moving anybody on?'

Salty replied 'No names yet but a couple are speaking with English clubs.'

We may be talking to ESL players but that is not what Salty was saying.

Cheers.

denis preston

First Grade
Griffin is a smart operator, he will just stare him down and select him in reserve grade. 12 months in reserve grade with no hope of an extension is not what Norman would want. He want a big salary and if he performs for the Dogs, they might be silly enough to pay up.

No matter what , this is his last big contract and he would be lucky to get even half of the 840k he is getting next season from 2022 onward. His salary next year then equates to 2 years future salary so he will do nothing to jeopardize it. To be any value to us letting him go would mean no more than 50% contract value payment to get rid of him. No one is going to give Norman 420k a year , he jinxes clubs when he dons their jersey and as i said before is a myth.A myth that has earnt over 2 million from the game. Good luck to him and shame on the Dragons for making this deal.

denis preston

First Grade
Hi Denis. I believe Salty was answering an earlier question from Biglance who asked 'Are we moving anybody on?'

Salty replied 'No names yet but a couple are speaking with English clubs.'

We may be talking to ESL players but that is not what Salty was saying.

Cheers.
Thanks mate, i stand corrected. Merrin going back , Simms bros as a package deal, Norman with us paying 60% of contract value ???