What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Bit worrisome if we're relying on a mid 30s, semi-retired, ACL injury journeyman to be the 5/8th to take us to the Premiership. Basically writing off next season?

Not saying he will be terrible but surely we need a better option A.

Green has the experience to be able to give the team direction and take that role off Pearce. He's Pearce's mate and Pearce will like playing with him.
It's a bit sad when we need to do that but that's the way it is.
We'll also have Brailey who should add a lot.
It's for one year with the ability for Green to influence the young guys we have and hopefully develop them. His coaching position after that continues the development.
We don't need to use him for the full year after the first 4 games. I reckon he 'fits' with what we need.
If these guys we have that want 6 don't work out with some development we'll soon know and can look elsewhere.

ryana87

Juniors
Maybe a silly question...... But with Green signing under the impression that there will be a coaching gig for him in 2022.....does that borderline salary cap issues..... Similar to what Tigers had with Farrah?

Or did they have it in writing that there will be a job the following year for him?

Knight Vision

First Grade
Bit worrisome if we're relying on a mid 30s, semi-retired, ACL injury journeyman to be the 5/8th to take us to the Premiership. Basically writing off next season?

Not saying he will be terrible but surely we need a better option A.
It's an improvement but I agree on the face of it this is a lousy decision. Let's hope there's some method to the madness.

Jono078

Referee
We all wanted a legit 5/8th and now we have one - don't be too picky. This will allow Mann, Hoy, Crossland - whoever else, to develop another year.

To me this does feel like a going for broke kind of thing, similar to our 2013 season with Bennett.

It's possible by 2022 our halves are completely new and there's no Green or Pearce.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Green has the experience to be able to give the team direction and take that role off Pearce. He's Pearce's mate and Pearce will like playing with him.
It's a bit sad when we need to do that but that's the way it is.
We'll also have Brailey who should add a lot.
It's for one year with the ability for Green to influence the young guys we have and hopefully develop them. His coaching position after that continues the development.
We don't need to use him for the full year after the first 4 games. I reckon he 'fits' with what we need.
If these guys we have that want 6 don't work out with some development we'll soon know and can look elsewhere.
Word.
Do the kids still say that?

Summed it up perfectly.

Knight Vision

First Grade
These rumours about Kalyn’s contract clauses are what I wouldn’t mind seeing some clarity on. It might explain Why we aren’t moving big in the market or as fast as others are. Certainly complicated things if they are true.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/3304d00a3745291bacf19fa09ca9ba02
makes the Ponga re-signing seem a bit deceitful. The announcement made us believe Ponga committed to 2024 when he hasnt at all. .

It may also explain why we are linked to the young English fullback Hodgson

Gardner needs to be banned from speaking to the press, the bloke suffers from foot in mouth..

Knight Tales

Juniors
makes the Ponga re-signing seem a bit deceitful. The announcement made us believe Ponga committed to 2024 when he hasnt at all. .

It may also explain why we are linked to the young English fullback Hodgson

Gardner needs to be banned from speaking to the press, the bloke suffers from foot in mouth..
I agree Hodgson seems like a backup plan in so far as he is a fullback. It’s a very astute one.
Reading between the lines you’d be bold to suggest KP will see that deal out.

I'll definitely be in the minority with this opinion but tbh, I wouldn't be that bothered if Ponga left. His tendency to drift in and out of games is frustrating. If he was an "effort" player like a Tedesco, Brimson, Gutherson etc he'd be 5 times the player he is today but he's happy to just cruise along. Also, despite the fact that he puts his body on the line sometimes, his defence is shoddy positionally and on contact and he's not the greatest under the high ball either. Add the fact that he's a horrible goal-kicker and I can't see any value in him at a million a season. I hate to say but the cash could be better spent.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'll definitely be in the minority with this opinion but tbh, I wouldn't be that bothered if Ponga left. His tendency to drift in and out of games is frustrating. If he was an "effort" player like a Tedesco, Brimson, Gutherson etc he'd be 5 times the player he is today but he's happy to just cruise along. Also, despite the fact that he puts his body on the line sometimes, his defence is shoddy positionally and on contact and he's not the greatest under the high ball either. Add the fact that he's a horrible goal-kicker and I can't see any value in him at a million a season. I hate to say but the cash could be better spent.
Ponga is a kid in his first years of NRL and the same age Thurston was coming off the bench for the Bulldogs. His career to date parallels Billy Slaters at the same age.

We would definitely not made the 8 this year if we didnt have Ponga - no doubt about it.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
With Green looking certain I don't think we'll be looking for a 6 for next year. 2022 might be different.
We'll have a month before Green can play.
Pre season I reckon we see who has what at 6 and let that decide who gets the start early on. Magic might happen and some of these guys might learn new tricks. I reckon we'll go for Mann.
Anyone know how 34 year olds bounce back from a knee reco?

Ponga is a kid in his first years of NRL and the same age Thurston was coming off the bench for the Bulldogs. His career to date parallels Billy Slaters at the same age.

We would definitely not made the 8 this year if we didnt have Ponga - no doubt about it.
I both understand and agree but I still don't think he's worth the million yet.

Loose Cannon

Bench
We go after Green while the Bulldogs go after Burton and have secured the services of Flanagan ? All a bit weird.
Bulldogs aren’t choked by a million dollar halfback, who fails to be able to do the things Green will need to do in lieu.

Enough pressure on a kid in their first gig alone, without dumping a load of Pearce on them as well.

Bartwah

Juniors
Take it for what it’s worth, article on Fox today saying that Will chambers might be interested in coming back to the NRL, and knights are interested :face_palm_tone3:♂️

perverse

Referee
Take it for what it’s worth, article on Fox today saying that Will chambers might be interested in coming back to the NRL, and knights are interested :face_palm_tone3:♂️
Hope there's nothing in this, because that would be a ridiculous signing. Surely we have higher priorities than an old aging Chambers.

Yosh

Coach

No offense but I'm very happy you're not in charge of our recruitment. Put Ponga in the Roosters or Parra system and he'd easily be a top 3 player in the league already.

We play one out 90%. What do you expect him to do? Also, Tedesco is class I admit but Gutho has to put in all the effort to make up for the lack of skill. Ponga is close to a once in a generation player. He might only reach 80% of his potential unless our club picks up their act but he is still by far our best player.