What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark D

Juniors
Trying to keep comments on the case at bay as it is before the courts but the defence to me has done a great job of putting reasonable doubt firmly on the table... let’s see what the prosecution has installed.. May the right outcome prevail.

possm

Coach

The woman who has accused NRL star Jack de Belin of sexual assault sent a text message the day after the alleged incident telling a male friend who was with her for part of the night: “What happened last night was not OK.”
Mr De Belin, 29, and his co-accused Callan Sinclair, 23, are standing trial in Wollongong District Court where they have pleaded not guilty to five counts of sexual assault.

The woman met up with the pair and several other men at the Mr Crown nightclub on the evening of December 8, 2018, before the alleged sexual assault at a North Wollongong apartment in the early hours of the following morning.

Matthew Clune was with Mr Sinclair and Mr de Belin among a group who were celebrating the Santa Pub Crawl.

Jack de Belin has denied sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman at a North Wollongong apartment.

The court heard on Tuesday that on the afternoon of December 9, Mr Clune, at the request of Mr Sinclair, sent the woman a message.

Mr Clune said Mr Sinclair was in a state of disbelief when he heard that the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was making a complaint of sexual assault.

“Heard some talk about last night, everything OK?” Mr Clune wrote in a text message read to the jury.

The woman, who was 19 years old at the time, responded: “I’m not OK. What happened last night was not OK.”

The court heard on Tuesday Mr Clune met up with a group of male friends at the house of Mr de Belin’s St George Illawarra teammate Euan Aitken before proceeding to their first stop on the pub crawl in the afternoon.

It was later in the night at Mr Crown where the group, which also included Dragons player Jai Field, met up with the woman. Mr Clune said he briefly saw Mr Sinclair and the woman kissing on the dancefloor before the group left the club.

“When I was in the part of the dancefloor, I was dancing by myself. I looked to the side for a quick glance, I saw them kissing,” Mr Clune said.

Asked by crown prosecutor David Scully how long he saw them kissing, Mr Clune said: “A second or so. I didn’t want to stare at them when they were kissing.”

When he was asked to describe the kiss, Mr Clune described it as a “fun, intimate kiss”.

The woman has claimed in court she was deceived into accompanying Mr de Belin and Mr Sinclair to the Gipps Street apartment.

She has claimed, during her testimony, she was told they would take a tuktuk ride to the Fever nightclub.

However, she has said, Mr de Belin ordered the driver to make an unexpected turn before luring her into the apartment because both men said they needed to charge their phones.

Mr Clune said he had no discussions with either Mr de Belin or Mr Sinclair about where they were heading and a short time later he and Mr Field peeled off from the group to attend the Fever nightclub.

The woman has claimed that she was raped vaginally, anally and orally in the apartment as Mr de Belin and Mr Sinclair swapped positions several times.
Jack de Belin has pleaded not guilty to five counts of sexual assault.

Mr de Belin and Mr Sinclair have denied all allegations and claimed all sex was consensual.

The woman caught an Uber with both men back to the Wollongong CBD where they stood in line at the Fever nightclub before she left.

She has claimed she was fearful the entire time before taking an opportunity to get away while they stood in line.

On the afternoon of December 9, Mr Sinclair phoned Mr Clune.

“He couldn’t believe what he was hearing,” Mr Clune said of Mr Sinclair’s reactions to the woman’s claim.

The court heard Mr Clune sent Mr Sinclair several messages about the allegations in the coming days, questioning the woman’s claims.

In one he said that it was “suss” that she had accompanied them to Fever after the alleged attack.

In another text, Mr Clune said: “Yeah that’s it. You claim you’ve been raped and not even struggle or anything and then go back into town.”

The trial before Judge Andrew Haesler continues.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
Rape allegation discussed at NRL training
By AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 17:58 AEDT, 10 November 2020 | UPDATED: 17:58 AEDT, 10 November 2020

NRL star Jack de Belin took Dragons teammate Jai Field aside at training and discussed his encounter with a woman accusing him of rape, a court has heard.

De Belin, one of the St George Illawarra Dragons' key players, is one of two men accused of sexually assaulting the woman in a North Wollongong unit early on a Sunday in December 2018.

The footballer's trial was told he and Field spoke privately at St George Illawarra training the next day, with Field later relaying to police what he'd been told.

"She took her top off, and they slept together and were changing positions," Field said he'd been told.

"There was no sign of her saying no."

Field, who gave evidence on Tuesday in the Wollongong District Court, qualified his statement by saying he couldn't recall de Belin's exact words.

He said the conversation also covered the trio's time outside Fever Nightclub after the alleged incident.

De Belin had said he began getting attention from people exiting the club, leading the woman to also joke he was famous and "can she get a photo as well".

De Belin, 29, and Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty to attacking the woman in the unit on December 9, 2018, saying all sexual contact was consensual.

Field had been partying with the trio earlier in the night before he and another man, Matthew Clune, left the group and headed to Fever.

He recalled asking de Belin and Sinclair if they were coming to Fever and getting two responses of "I'm staying. I'm not coming".

He said he didn't think the woman was listening but he then waved goodbye to her and she acknowledged him.

Sinclair, de Belin and the woman then caught a tuk-tuk to the unit in North Wollongong, the trial has heard.

Tuk-tuk operator Gary Poort said de Belin said "trust me" before directing to the bottom of the hill the unit was on.

Told in no uncertain words Mr Poort wouldn't ride up the hill, the trio hopped out and de Belin paid $50.

"They were going up to the unit and I heard distinctly, the girl say "f***'," Mr Poort said.

"I remember the exact words 'f*** are we'."

The woman alleges she only entered the unit to use the bathroom but was confronted by de Belin and then assaulted by both men in an adjoining bedroom.

Both men then took turns and cheered each other on, the woman told the court.

The court has heard that after learning the next morning about the woman's allegations from friends, Sinclair messaged her and said "everything was consensual".

The trial continues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-8932593/Rape-allegation-discussed-NRL-training.html

Whether guilty or not JDB has embarrassed the club and it’s supporters by placing himself into this position.

If the young girl’s version of the “facts” are correct, the conduct could only be described as predatory. I hope the “facts” as presented are untrue.

Simon

Juniors
Is it just me or am I correct in thinking that nothing like this happened under Bennett and since then the clubs standards have just gone downhill.

Players are human and are a representation of the community. Bennett has had his problems as well, from Julian O’Neill in the mid 90’s to Latrell’s latest fire arms offence. Winning tends to allow fans to overlook a few things.

While ever players are humans there will be some that break the law, do things against a normal standard.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Whether guilty or not JDB has embarrassed the club and it’s supporters by placing himself into this position.

If the young girl’s version of the “facts” are correct, the conduct could only be described as predatory. I hope the “facts” as presented are untrue.
I think you’ll find it her allegations are proven it will be a lot worse than described as predatory.

But let’s wait for the jury to decide what is correct.

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
'Help': Jack de Belin's alleged victim's message to friend
Angus Thompson
November 11, 2020 — 2.58pm

A friend of the woman allegedly raped by St George Illawarra NRL star Jack de Belin had a message from her saying "help" when he found his phone the afternoon following the incident, a court has heard.

Toby Nobes, who lost his phone during a drunken day out at the North Wollongong Hotel on December 8, 2018, told a NSW District Court jury that after finding the device the next afternoon he received a blank photo via social media app Snapchat with some accompanying text.

580677ca7adba6d6d74a9946e08277cfb67a1b2c

Jack de Belin outside the NSW District Court in Wollongong on Wednesday.CREDIT:RHETT WYMAN

"It just said 'help'," Mr Nobes told the court sitting in Wollongong on Wednesday.

The trial has previously heard allegations the woman, then 19, was raped by Mr de Belin and Shellharbour Sharks rugby league player Callan Sinclair in a Wollongong apartment in the early hours of December 9 after partying with the pair and others in a nightclub.

Advertisement
Mr de Belin, 29, and Mr Sinclair, 23, have both pleaded not guilty to five counts each of aggravated sexual assault, claiming through their lawyers the encounter with the woman was consensual.

The court heard Mr Nobes had been in contact with the woman, who cannot be legally named, earlier in the day via Facebook Messenger, using his computer, as she was helping him find his phone.

Mr Nobes said he had been drinking heavily on December 8, and had been kicked out of the North Wollongong Hotel and regained consciousness later that evening at a nearby bus stop, realising he had lost his phone.

Under questioning by Mr de Belin's barrister David Campbell SC, Mr Nobes said he was unaware of whether or not he had communicated with her on his phone before or after receiving the 'help' photo.

The jury heard that later that day the woman sent Mr Nobes another Snapchat photo from the police station, depicting the tiled floor, but he couldn't exactly remember what the accompanying text said.

Advertisement
"It was like she was trying to get my attention that something was wrong, anyway," Mr Nobes told the court.

[paste:font size="5"]RELATED ARTICLE

De Belin trial

Jack de Belin says alleged victim was joking about his fame, jury hears[/paste:font]
The jury heard Mr Nobes asked the woman what happened, with her replying, "I got raped." To this, Mr Nobes responded, "Um okay, yeah okay. By who?"

Another friend, Christopher Ninness, told the court he received a message from the woman at 2.11am on December 9 that read, "Chris I need help".

Mr Ninness said he spoke to their friend Thomas Strong, who told him that he had seen the woman, Mr de Belin and Mr Sinclair in an Uber together earlier that night.

Advertisement
The woman had also told Mr Strong the men he had seen her with "abused me sexually", the court previously heard.

The jury heard the woman told friends and colleagues what had happened before being encouraged to go to the police.

A friend of Mr Nobes', Matthew Morris, took a photo of a Snapchat message exchange between the woman and Mr Nobes and sent it to a group of people on Snapchat, the court heard on Wednesday.

The trial continues.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ctim-s-message-to-friend-20201111-p56dne.html

TruSaint

Referee
'Help': Jack de Belin's alleged victim's message to friend
Angus Thompson
November 11, 2020 — 2.58pm

A friend of the woman allegedly raped by St George Illawarra NRL star Jack de Belin had a message from her saying "help" when he found his phone the afternoon following the incident, a court has heard.

Toby Nobes, who lost his phone during a drunken day out at the North Wollongong Hotel on December 8, 2018, told a NSW District Court jury that after finding the device the next afternoon he received a blank photo via social media app Snapchat with some accompanying text.

580677ca7adba6d6d74a9946e08277cfb67a1b2c

Jack de Belin outside the NSW District Court in Wollongong on Wednesday.CREDIT:RHETT WYMAN

"It just said 'help'," Mr Nobes told the court sitting in Wollongong on Wednesday.

The trial has previously heard allegations the woman, then 19, was raped by Mr de Belin and Shellharbour Sharks rugby league player Callan Sinclair in a Wollongong apartment in the early hours of December 9 after partying with the pair and others in a nightclub.

Advertisement
Mr de Belin, 29, and Mr Sinclair, 23, have both pleaded not guilty to five counts each of aggravated sexual assault, claiming through their lawyers the encounter with the woman was consensual.

The court heard Mr Nobes had been in contact with the woman, who cannot be legally named, earlier in the day via Facebook Messenger, using his computer, as she was helping him find his phone.

Mr Nobes said he had been drinking heavily on December 8, and had been kicked out of the North Wollongong Hotel and regained consciousness later that evening at a nearby bus stop, realising he had lost his phone.

Under questioning by Mr de Belin's barrister David Campbell SC, Mr Nobes said he was unaware of whether or not he had communicated with her on his phone before or after receiving the 'help' photo.

The jury heard that later that day the woman sent Mr Nobes another Snapchat photo from the police station, depicting the tiled floor, but he couldn't exactly remember what the accompanying text said.

Advertisement
"It was like she was trying to get my attention that something was wrong, anyway," Mr Nobes told the court.

[paste:font size="5"]RELATED ARTICLE

De Belin trial

Jack de Belin says alleged victim was joking about his fame, jury hears[/paste:font]
The jury heard Mr Nobes asked the woman what happened, with her replying, "I got raped." To this, Mr Nobes responded, "Um okay, yeah okay. By who?"

Another friend, Christopher Ninness, told the court he received a message from the woman at 2.11am on December 9 that read, "Chris I need help".

Mr Ninness said he spoke to their friend Thomas Strong, who told him that he had seen the woman, Mr de Belin and Mr Sinclair in an Uber together earlier that night.

Advertisement
The woman had also told Mr Strong the men he had seen her with "abused me sexually", the court previously heard.

The jury heard the woman told friends and colleagues what had happened before being encouraged to go to the police.

A friend of Mr Nobes', Matthew Morris, took a photo of a Snapchat message exchange between the woman and Mr Nobes and sent it to a group of people on Snapchat, the court heard on Wednesday.

The trial continues.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ctim-s-message-to-friend-20201111-p56dne.html

Faaark.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Let the Court & Justice system make their decision in due process.
I had the experience of being a selected Juror on a sexual assault charge only last year. It was an incredible experience & an eye opener to our justice system.
Whilst the 12 Jurors were heavily stacked with predominantly 8 female to 4 male, it had little bearing on our closed discussions & opinions within the walls of our jury deliberation room.
The case went around 8 days & there were twists & turns along the whole process. The more witnesses involved the messier it became with conflicting versions of events.
The one thing the Judge stressed to us all, was do not make a judgement too early.
Wise words indeed.
May Justice prevail & ultimately there are no winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts