What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I guess the advantage the Sharks proposal has over the Kogarah and even the Brookie plans is the state of the art facilities that are being built in the precinct. I would argue that a mini bank west at Kogarah would not have the matching facilities.....I.e new hotel....conference facilities....new leagues club....new centre of excellence etc etc. At Kogarah you have an antiquated leagues club that is in a 80’s time warp. The only upside of Kogarah is the more central location although Shark Park is only 15-20 mins away. Further complicating the Kogarah issue is the fact the football club is half owned by Win TV (Gordon family). Being Wollongong based....they are desperately protecting the interests of the local area and are not negotiable on moving their share of the games from the ‘gong. Finally the last carrot for the NRL is the possibility of part ownership in a precinct that would give them an ongoing asset/income if managed effectively.

Just on Dino Mezzatesta’s proposal. Can the NRL go into an investment partnership with a club and still appear impartial? Does protecting their investment = protecting the club? Does Cronulla lose any independence? The relationship between clubs and governing body should always be at arm’s length. Be interesting to see what the other clubs think if (and I very much doubt) talks proceed.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
Can the NRL go into an investment partnership with a club and still appear impartial? Does protecting their investment = protecting the club? Does Cronulla lose any independence? The relationship between clubs and governing body should always be at arm’s length. Be interesting to see what the other clubs think if (and I very much doubt) talks proceed.
It’ll be a stand-alone arrangement for the ground itself. Their only additional interest will be to get money out of the ground.

The NRL are far more beholden to the storm and broncos with their owners who they are.

taipan

Referee
we were pretty good at that stage.

Baldy just didn’t like us very much.

We've always looked good.Very attractive colours matter of fact. It's always been our management and financial control that's eaten away at us becoming a super club.

greenBV4

Bench
It’ll be a stand-alone arrangement for the ground itself. Their only additional interest will be to get money out of the ground.

The NRL are far more beholden to the storm and broncos with their owners who they are.
Spot on, you can't have the NRL sharing an asset with one of its clubs, and I also can't see the state government funding a stadium owned by 2 private entities

Either cronulla hands over their share to the NRL and its the NRL and State who own it, or sharks just lobby the government for a sharks/state ownership

I also don't see the state government spending millions on a stadium on with an integrated private leagues club regardless - same goes for an NRL partnership, you can't say this agreement would only be for stadium proceedings when their leagues club is literally a part of the stadium (and not just next door/down the road like others)

greenBV4

Bench

Storm is no longer (and hasn't been for years now) owned by news Ltd- and regardless is a unique scenario as they are an expansion club in a one team city, same as broncos - one team city (and one of the main reasons news left the storm was due to the conflict in owning 2 clubs)

How do you think the other 8 Sydney clubs would feel about the NRL getting into bed with the sharks?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cant see there is much in it for NRL other than a depreciating asset on the books and a little revenue (not like Sharks can afford to give away much of their income!) but if that is what it takes to get these stadium rebuilds over the line then make it so Vlandys.

yadamisha

Juniors
When you have NSW liberal members of parliament and the PM instructing the NSW treasurer that the Kogarah rebuild is a white elephant because Cronulla is not moving there and there is no sound commercial case for this money to be spent on Kogarah, expect the money that was to be allocated there be moved to Cronulla and possibly shared with the Steeler's stadium in Wollongong. This makes much more financial sense. Upgrade two Rugby League grounds that get used and not an athletics oval which may get used 6 times a year which is crap to watch football at anyway. Local soccer, Southern Districts, CSJRL and NRL Sharks will all use the upgraded Shark Park, plus it is earmarked to be a home base for South Pacific Rugby league in Australia. (Part of the COE development) Most Dragons junior play in the Cronulla junior league now anyway so makes sense to move the focus to an area of Sydney where all sport is played more.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
Storm is no longer (and hasn't been for years now) owned by news Ltd- and regardless is a unique scenario as they are an expansion club in a one team city, same as broncos - one team city (and one of the main reasons news left the storm was due to the conflict in owning 2 clubs)

How do you think the other 8 Sydney clubs would feel about the NRL getting into bed with the sharks?
Why would the other clubs give a shit...unless it’s St George. I get they would prefer kogarah, as it means 6 games in a schmicko stadium. Well, I’m a sharks supporter and would prefer over 10 games in a schmicko stadium. Why would anyone else care?

It either makes commercial sense or it doesn’t.

Best case scenario for me is the NRL don’t bite and the state gov decide to go with shark park anyway.

yadamisha

Juniors
Kogarah is used by more sides are is govt owned. No way Shark Park wins against that
Kogarah is not used by more sides. It is used by Dragons for up to 6 games a year in a normal year. FC are only playing there whilst the SFS is rebuilt, same with Cronulla. It is a council owned white elephant now why spend more money on it - which is the exact argument all these Federal and state ministers are highlighting! There is no commercial sense in spending money there, whereas there is a commercial argument for Cronulla. The council is better off selling the land to developers. The State money is better used to upgrade Cronulla and Wollongong.

franklin2323

Immortal
Kogarah is not used by more sides. It is used by Dragons for up to 6 games a year in a normal year. FC are only playing there whilst the SFS is rebuilt, same with Cronulla. It is a council owned white elephant now why spend more money on it - which is the exact argument all these Federal and state ministers are highlighting! There is no commercial sense in spending money there, whereas there is a commercial argument for Cronulla. The council is better off selling the land to developers. The State money is better used to upgrade Cronulla and Wollongong.

Council owned soon to be run by Stadiums NSW like the other major stadiums are. No one a private ground gets

Who else uses Shark Park? So it is virtually the same minus the lower grades Kogarah is used for

greenBV4

Bench
Why would the other clubs give a shit...unless it’s St George. I get they would prefer kogarah, as it means 6 games in a schmicko stadium. Well, I’m a sharks supporter and would prefer over 10 games in a schmicko stadium. Why would anyone else care?
Because the NRL would be essentially forming a business partnership with a rival club?
What's to stop all the other clubs wanting to form a partnership with the NRL to move to their own leagues clubs grounds and lobby for a stadium to be built around it?

End of the day, as many have said, I just can't see a state government putting money into a privately owned ground, let alone one with a privately owned leagues club integrated into it

I dont think kogarah without the sharks is a great option either (but is a more likely one given its being handed over to stadiums nsw) - if the sharks are adamant on staying put Id just direct all the funds to Wollongong, entice the dragons there full time, and get some brownie points for spending on regional areas for once

Toss cronulla a few funds as a "grant" to improve the stadium themselves

yadamisha

Juniors
Council owned soon to be run by Stadiums NSW like the other major stadiums are. No one a private ground gets

Who else uses Shark Park? So it is virtually the same minus the lower grades Kogarah is used for

Keep up - that may have been the original plan but a plan that is now in the process of being scuttled for the bad idea it is.

Who will use Shark Park - again, local soccer (the largest Football Association in any code in Australia), Southern Districts, CSJRL and NRL Sharks will all use the upgraded Shark Park, plus it is earmarked to be a home base for South Pacific Rugby league in Australia as part of the Centre of Excellence. A bit more than maybe six games of Dragons who will over time move fulltime (they essentially are now) to Wollongong - again no commercial sense to build at Kogarah. Only a matter of time before the St George juniors (as is 16s and under) fully move under the CSJRL banner.

MugaB

Coach
Keep up - that may have been the original plan but a plan that is now in the process of being scuttled for the bad idea it is.

Who will use Shark Park - again, local soccer (the largest Football Association in any code in Australia), Southern Districts, CSJRL and NRL Sharks will all use the upgraded Shark Park, plus it is earmarked to be a home base for South Pacific Rugby league in Australia as part of the Centre of Excellence. A bit more than maybe six games of Dragons who will over time move fulltime (they essentially are now) to Wollongong - again no commercial sense to build at Kogarah. Only a matter of time before the St George juniors (as is 16s and under) fully move under the CSJRL banner.
Im for the shark park upgrade, but the real issue are whos pushing the mini bankwest style stadiums and why and where? Dragons supporters are huge in numbers so PVL (as a known dragons supporter) wants this done, government on ther other hand had commited funds meant for ANZ and are instead wanting to upgrade the suburbian grounds in its place, who's driving that aspect, i won't say the PM is involved in anyway (even though he is a known sharks supporter) but if it goes higher up past NSWgovt, and he gets to chime in, he might want to push towards cronulla.

Of course none of this is true, but it would be a great news article PVL vs PM over stadium funding

yadamisha

Juniors
Im for the shark park upgrade, but the real issue are whos pushing the mini bankwest style stadiums and why and where? Dragons supporters are huge in numbers so PVL (as a known dragons supporter) wants this done, government on ther other hand had commited funds meant for ANZ and are instead wanting to upgrade the suburbian grounds in its place, who's driving that aspect, i won't say the PM is involved in anyway (even though he is a known sharks supporter) but if it goes higher up past NSWgovt, and he gets to chime in, he might want to push towards cronulla.

Of course none of this is true, but it would be a great news article PVL vs PM over stadium funding

PVL is a Steeler's man foremost and State and Federal MPs including the PM are pushing Cronulla over Kogarah and have instructed the NSW Treasurer of that - which has already been reported in the press in multiple articles. Read into that what you will. Money will be diverted to Cronulla and I suspect Wollongong over Kogarah.

franklin2323

Immortal

Shark Park is no better though. NSWRL use Kogarah and Leichhardt for their lower grade finals. That add games and not sure they would move it to Shark Park..

All 4 options need more usage to be viable

Latest posts