What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

George Sancti

Juniors
It’s quite similar to the signings that Bennett made when he came to the Dragons . Individuals who are not star material , but players who will be the cement of the team .

I agree with your comments Gareth67, and there were a couple of very targeted signings amongst the cement to meet an immediate need, including the acquisition of Michael Weyman.

I hope the pattern repeats !

mickeylane

Bench
He’s a great little player - think of wade graham very skilful and hungry to play 1st grade. Great lock forward solution..

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All, this does sound an interesting potential signing. Overall some comparisons to Sharks signing Matt Prior who lifted a level there.

must say if 179cm and 99kgs is Billy M physique then he is not what I call ‘small’. ( I’m 172 and 68kgs so I guess Billy M would be big to me). As a general comment I have heard about the days of big forwards being numbered for the past 10 years. Big powerful forwards of say 115kg + will always be elements of a successful team. Like JWH, Asofa from Storm, the boppers at Penrith, Josh Papalii etc.

possm

Coach
Hi All, this does sound an interesting potential signing. Overall some comparisons to Sharks signing Matt Prior who lifted a level there.

must say if 179cm and 99kgs is Billy M physique then he is not what I call ‘small’. ( I’m 172 and 68kgs so I guess Billy M would be big to me). As a general comment I have heard about the days of big forwards being numbered for the past 10 years. Big powerful forwards of say 115kg + will always be elements of a successful team. Like JWH, Asofa from Storm, the boppers at Penrith, Josh Papalii etc.
Yes there will always be a place in our game for big props.

Old Timer

Coach

Based on those physical stats for BM he needs to have a significant point of difference otherwise he is just “another” player of which we have many.

We need a proven ball playing, tackle buster and if he isn’t that (I have no real idea if he is or not) then it is a dud signing.

possm

Coach
Based on those physical stats for BM he needs to have a significant point of difference otherwise he is just “another” player of which we have many.

We need a proven ball playing, tackle buster and if he isn’t that (I have no real idea if he is or not) then it is a dud signing.
Yes you are right. We need to buy marquee players rather than depth. Our juniors should be our depth. We have lost:
Graham
Frizell
And possibly De Belin
We have not signed any marquee replacements for these 3 even though we lost Graham early and knew Frizell was leaving well before the end of the 2020 season.

Bird is a logical replacement for Norman, yet we have not got rid of Norman for 2021. Sullivan could replace Hunt for less than half the salary cap, but there is no urgency in letting Hun go.

Our reserve grade looks like being stacked with first grade rejects whereas it should be stacked with promising juniors coming through.

Last edited:

Tiger Shark

Bench

He can ball play but can not tackle bust. Not a renowned meter eater.

He'll offer utility value off the bench, can fill in at hooker, can play in the halves at pinch but mostly a middle forward who can tackle and offload a bit. Just not going to get you many tackle busts or line breaks or metres.

You won't find many Sharks supporters sad to see him go.

possm

Coach
Angus Crichton should be our target
Yes and it reported that the Roosters were shopping him around. But now with a question mark over their captains long term future and so it would be silly to let Crichton go.

Maybe we need to sign an edge forward from the ESL or even from Rugby Union.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree that the Dragons still need that one forward who will lead the way , preferably a big bopper with brains , looks unimportant .

As long as he can pump his teammates up when required , as I am sick to death watching our pack wander around the goal posts like a pack of bovine sheep after a try has been scored .

It’s the captains job to do this I know , but we just don’t have any talkers out on the field so a respected forward could do this job - as all leaders of the pack do .

Old Timer

Coach
The simple reality is if Vaughan & T Sims are supposedly our best forwards (not counting Cam) then we need to buy a real quality player.

IMO Sims will not make rep football again and Vaughan is currently well behind the best props so our once much talked about pack is very light on.

Won't be much good having speedy and talented backs playing behind dud halves who play behind a beaten pack.

Some real tough decisions coming up and lets all hope Hook lives up to his nickname.