What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hindy111

Post Whore
I genuinely do not think all is well in Pantherland.

Take a step back and see it unfolding (In no real order)

- Barrett signs with the Bulldogs.
- Burton immediately linked to the Bulldogs
- We drop Naden, weeks prior he was linked to the Storm.
- We lose the GF
- Tamou is not re-signed.
- Whare told to leave
- Mansour gets told he's not wanted. Media all over it.
- Crighton gets a new manager and then its uncertain we will re-sign him.

I look at the above and think to myself that there's something seriously wrong and there's a lot of destabilising factors and we're going to end up with egg on our faces.

I could be completely wrong but GF sides should be able to retain their juniors, re-sign their captain and manage the exits of players better than this.

My left field opinion is that Barrett had a bigger influence on the side than we may think. He leaves, all of a sudden the chips are down.

Maybe I am clutching at straws.

Tamou fair call
Mansour fair call
Whare fair call

Crighton wants what he can get
Burton wants a starting spot
Naden isn't a huge loss either way.

Barrett wants a coaching gig and one come up.

Its football. When have young players and success you will loose guys. It happen to Parra in 2001. They had to pick and chose.
Some left who looked like superstars. But most found out they where just a good group of average first graders with a few stars having a great year.

Jane Murray

Bench
Suspended for what?
@Snickers here's the article from the Sydney Morning Herald.

NSW halfback Nathan Cleary faces an anxious wait to learn if he will be free to play in Wednesday's State of Origin decider after a potential shoulder charge in game two.

NSW's hopes of an Origin three-peat could be dealt a huge blow with the game two man-of-the-match likely to come under scrutiny for a shoulder charge in the 14th minute that will no doubt grab the attention of the match review committee on Thursday morning.

image.jpg

image.jpg

0:12

Could Cleary be rubbed out of Origin 3?
0bb72d84721311f26afe0f0e994a0526355e483c

A potential shoulder charge on Xavier Coates in the first half could see Nathan Cleary face a charge that would deny him a place in Wednesday’s decider.

The challenge on Xavier Coates chasing down a Cody Walker kick in the 14th minute of the game went unnoticed by referee Gerard Sutton. The NRL, however, is aware of the incident and will review the footage on Thursday morning before releasing charges from the game.

While the contact was far from dangerous, the NRL has been desperate to clamp out the shoulder charge in recent years and a grade one charge will see Cleary miss next week's do-or-die showdown at Suncorp Stadium.

WestyLife

First Grade
After last night, a few posters on this site must be wondering what sauce to put on their humble pies.

Not really. He wasn't as bad in game 1 as some suggested but 7 games 0 attacking stats is worth criticism. Finding form in the face of the criticism and the inevitable mental demons in big games is a big credit to Cleary but doesn't change the past.

maple_69

Bench
I think it’s as much become really clear that Cleary thrives when he’s the dominant half orchestrating play, supported by a running five eighth. When he’s been in that capacity he has killed it. Either way I’m super glad he got a great performance in. Taking the decider by the scruff of the neck will go a long way towards giving him the confidence and experience to win grand finals for us.

Jane Murray

Bench
I think it’s as much become really clear that Cleary thrives when he’s the dominant half orchestrating play, supported by a running five eighth. When he’s been in that capacity he has killed it. Either way I’m super glad he got a great performance in. Taking the decider by the scruff of the neck will go a long way towards giving him the confidence and experience to win grand finals for us.
I am more confident of a series win, at Suncorp of all places.

Port Panther

Juniors
Does anyone know if Api is related or well connected to Sunia Turuva ?
Cause if he is we need him to get in his ear before Brad Arthur does .

Jane Murray

Bench
Does anyone know if Api is related or well connected to Sunia Turuva ?
Cause if he is we need him to get in his ear before Brad Arthur does .
He is a first cousin.

NRL Schoolboy Cup: resilient Turuva ready to shine
10/14/2020Rugby League

Sunia Turuva was eating dinner with his family, when a spark caught his eye. Big, searing flames had engulfed his lounge room in a matter of seconds.

The Penrith Panthers junior acted fast, dragging his mother and four brothers to safety outside of their Glendenning home.

By the time firefighters arrived, the Turuva’s house had burned to the ground — so too, had all their possessions.

“I just saw a bit of our furniture light up, we just had to get everyone straight out of the house,” said Turuva, who is the first cousin of Panthers hooker Api Koroisau.

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE: NRL SCHOOLBOYS CUP QUARTER-FINALS

LIVE FROM 2PM: Patrician Brothers Blacktown vs St Gregory’s College

WATCH IT IN THE VIDEO PLAYER AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE

6e418681dc50cb4761c199c9d5370e53

Jakob Arthur, Samuel Loizou, Sunia Turuva, Sean Russell, and Bailey Nouredine from Patrician Brothers Blacktown. Picture: Justin LloydSource:News Corp Australia

“It was too late, we just had to get out. Now we’re (living) at my Grandma’s house down the road, she lives in the same suburb.”

But, despite the devastating fire, Turuva never stopped turning up for his teammates.

“It happened on a Saturday, and I had a game on Sunday for my junior league team at St Marys,” Turuva said. “My parents told me to go play, to take my mind off things, so I played the next day.”

Days later, he was back at school. Weeks later, he scored an electric try for Patrician Brothers Blacktown in the NRL Schoolboy Cup.

The fullback said he was thankful for the support from his family, friends, high school and the Panthers — the club shared a GoFundMe link set up to help the Turuva family.

“The boys have been helping, I’ve had messages from people, few of the first grade boys have helped too, with donations,” Turuva said.

Ahead of their Schoolboy Cup quarter-final against St Gregory’s College today, Patrician Brothers Blacktown coach Noah Mears praised Turuva for his resilience this year.

cb24fcce13029b1460b3a493668b713e

Jakob Arthur in action for Patrician Brothers Blacktown. Picture: Jonathan NgSource:News Corp Australia

“He’s one of the greatest kids anyone will ever coach, to be quite honest,” Mears said.

“The biggest thing about him is his energy, he’s a ball of energy, he constantly brings the energy to the team. It’s been a big help throughout this year’s competition, with not the uncertainty, but he’s been the driving force at training sessions.

“His resilience has shone through this year, with tragedy that happened to their family, they were very lucky in that, but he turned up to school a couple of days later and he played straight away, he didn’t miss a beat.”

Mears, who has also coached Turuva in the Panthers’ junior representative sides — said the 18-year-old’s attitude will take him far in rugby league.

“I’ve seen Sunia come through there, the things he does at training just his effort is the biggest thing, it’s consistent he’s super fit, energetic and his communication is just next level” Mears said.

Turuva said he can’t wait to line up alongside his teammates in Windsor today.

“We found out on the morning of our graduation day, our coach Mr Meers he let us know that the Cup was back … the boys are keen, we’re ripping into training,” Turuva said.

“I think we can (win), especially losing the grand final last year against Westfields, heaps of us played in that grand final, so the boys have the drive.”

5e386b67d8a12769e80d94b0107e7985

St Greg’s captain Cruise Tweedie is determined to take down Patrician Brothers Blacktown Picture: Christian GillesSource:News Limited

HE’S NO GOOSE: CRUISE AIMS TO BE SCHOOLBOY TOP GUN

By Jocelyn Airth

Cruise Tweedie has the need — the need for speed.

For months, the lock from St Gregory’s College has been itching to play schoolboy footy with his best mates.

The day has finally arrived, and Tweedie plans to bring a bit of LT Pete “Maverick” Mitchell X-factor.

“My brother’s name is Maverick, so Dad obviously loves Top Gun,” Tweedie said.

“We’re lucky they didn’t call us Goose.”

Three weeks after graduating, Tweedie returned to St Greg’s to prepare for its sudden-death quarter-final against Patrician Brothers Blacktown.

And having played SG Ball for the Penrith Panthers, Tweedie is expecting the contest to be tough.

“They’re a physical, mobile team who like to dominate the ruck and set the pace of the game,” Tweedie said.

Kilkenny

Coach
I noticed Sunia Turuva had the number six on his back. I didn’t watch the game just watched the video his try which sealed his teams win. Did he play 5/8;or fullback. Anytime I have watched him he played fullback.

Kilkenny

Coach
Has anyone done some analysis of what’s clubs have any money left in there cap for 2021. There can’t be too many left who have funds to acquire players in the $500K plus bracket. It just seems most clubs have minimum money left. Perhaps the big domino to fall centres around JAC and where he ends up. If JAC ends up at the Bulldogs that will be there spending done, which probably enables the West Tigers to settle on our own Josh Mansour. The Eels, Roosters, Sharks and Sea Eagles have no money for ‘big signings’. The Bunnies have no money unless they can somehow facilitate the exit of Dane Gagai which the media has recently been alluding too. The Dragons apparently have some cap space but Hook is supposedly on the lookout to bolster his forward pack. It will be an interesting fortnight after SOO is concluded when everything will most likely fall into place.

Kilkenny

Coach
Definitely another 2 years on RCG. Think another 2 on Waqa.

Mate of mine who is connected through sponsorship arrangements believes we agreed to contribute to Blakes salary only for the remainder of his then deal with us? At the time he was released midway thru 2019 his then deal with us ran out at end of 2021 I thought so we were contributing up until that point and the Eels contracted him until the end of 2023 which was there decision so no obligation on us to contribute anything beyond 2021. I could be wrong but this was the way it was explained to me at the time.

I have no idea about RCG given he was on a long term deal with us at the time of his release so we are probably contributing up until the time his then contract expired with us so as Blade says two more years appears the likely scenario.

Blade23

Juniors
Mate of mine who is connected through sponsorship arrangements believes we agreed to contribute to Blakes salary only for the remainder of his then deal with us? At the time he was released midway thru 2019 his then deal with us ran out at end of 2021 I thought so we were contributing up until that point and the Eels contracted him until the end of 2023 which was there decision so no obligation on us to contribute anything beyond 2021. I could be wrong but this was the way it was explained to me at the time.

I have no idea about RCG given he was on a long term deal with us at the time of his release so we are probably contributing up until the time his then contract expired with us so as Blade says two more years appears the likely scenario.

He signed a 4-year deal extension with us in 2018 taking his deal with us up to the end of 2023.
Parra took over the remaining 4 and half years. I think we are paying for another 2 years.

RCG definitely has 2 years left on the clock.

franklin2323

Immortal
Has anyone done some analysis of what’s clubs have any money left in there cap for 2021. There can’t be too many left who have funds to acquire players in the $500K plus bracket. It just seems most clubs have minimum money left. Perhaps the big domino to fall centres around JAC and where he ends up. If JAC ends up at the Bulldogs that will be there spending done, which probably enables the West Tigers to settle on our own Josh Mansour. The Eels, Roosters, Sharks and Sea Eagles have no money for ‘big signings’. The Bunnies have no money unless they can somehow facilitate the exit of Dane Gagai which the media has recently been alluding too. The Dragons apparently have some cap space but Hook is supposedly on the lookout to bolster his forward pack. It will be an interesting fortnight after SOO is concluded when everything will most likely fall into place.

They announced squad sizes and a few clubs have the bare minimum 24. A few others are full

Status
Not open for further replies.