What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So according to the sharts website, he’s a 23 year old who represented NSW u/20’s last year..............

Just a comment on Mr Magoo

No doubt a talented young bloke who can cover a number of roles. He is a bit like a 5/8 in a big body which gives him that adaptability.

He certainly stood out in reserve grade. Not sure what has gone on with him and the coaching staff but not getting much of a go all year seems odd. Can only assume a falling out of some kind.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Thanks CC.
Makes you wonder why Sharks are letting him explore his options then.

I see him as a Wade Graham type of player and as Wade Graham is still playing and has two years to run on his contract, he doesn't currently fit into the Sharks rotation. If Graham had been a couple of years older and retired, we might not have been in the position to sign him.
I say go for it.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I see him as a Wade Graham type of player and as Wade Graham is still playing and has two years to run on his contract, he doesn't currently fit into the Sharks rotation. If Graham had been a couple of years older and retired, we might not have been in the position to sign him.
I say go for it.

He's the furthest thing from a Wade Graham style of player. If you guys want to play him like that by all means.

No doubt a talented young bloke who can cover a number of roles. He is a bit like a 5/8 in a big body which gives him that adaptability.

He certainly stood out in reserve grade. Not sure what has gone on with him and the coaching staff but not getting much of a go all year seems odd. Can only assume a falling out of some kind.

Sounds like a Paul Upfield or Steve Funnell type of player.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yes you are right. We need to buy marquee players rather than depth. Our juniors should be our depth. We have lost:
Graham
Frizell
And possibly De Belin
We have not signed any marquee replacements for these 3 even though we lost Graham early and knew Frizell was leaving well before the end of the 2020 season.

Bird is a logical replacement for Norman, yet we have not got red of Norman for 2021. Sullivan could replace Hunt for less than half the salary cap, but there is no urgency in letting Hun go.

Our reserve grade looks like being stacked with first grade rejects whereas it should be stacked with promising juniors coming through.

Apart from Hayden Lomax, I'm struggling to think of promising junior forwards - SGI just seems to mainly produce backs at the moment.

rasaint

Juniors
All the comments have taken the wind out of my sails.

I was hoping for a powerful Brandon Smith type. Seems Billy is not this type. Oh well. So it goes.

Crush

Coach

From what I have heard he has loads of talent but is totally uncoachable. Does not take instruction well.

BLM01

First Grade
If that’s the case he won’t get on with Hook.
or he just does not like or get on with Morris. It does happen you know which would leak out as being uncoachable..everyone has the ability to be coached or mentored..just got to find the right way.
Bennett, Bellamy and Robbo are masters at it
I am happy to see him have a go with us as would not be on much and what he showed me for Newtown in the last 5 minutes in 2 GF style games in succession was brilliant and natural instinct and his general on field play..he was hard to handle in attack (not from running through brick walls but getting offloads away and good footwork)
and Yes it was reserve grade but he just may be able to translate that to 1sts as still only young if given a go.
What of we got to lose compared to who we can sign for 21 and how we went in 2020 anyway.

Gareth67

First Grade
or he just does not like or get on with Morris. It does happen you know which would leak out as being uncoachable..everyone has the ability to be coached or mentored..just got to find the right way.
I am happy to see him have a go with us as would not be on much and what he showed me for Newtown in the last 5 minutes in 2 GF style games in succession was brilliant and natural instinct and his general on field play..he was hard to handle in attack (not from running through brick walls but getting offloads away and good footwork)
and Yes it was reserve grade but he just may be able to translate that to 1sts as still only young if given a go.
What of we got to lose compared to who we can sign for 21 and how we went in 2020 anyway.

I had an idea that may had been the reason . The man played good footy whilst at Newtown , rather odd he could not replicate it a the Sharks . I believe that one only needs to see just how they - the sharks went in 2020 to realize that .

SAP58

Juniors
I was an advocate to sign him at the start of last year for similar reasons. I do also like the looks of John Aloiai from the Tigers who I understand is up for contract in 2021 but not sure if he could get an early release. Manly are reportedly keen on him as well to replace AFB.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Enjoy Woodsie & Tolman

meh Tolman is going to cost the same as what Billy was on. I know who I would prefer. He'll be our 5th best prop and getting playing time appropriate to that. Dogs were the ones paying him overs and playing 70 mins.

On Woods, yeah wouldn't mind seeing the back of him. We'll probably end up extending him

blacksafake

First Grade
This is probably the most likely scenario & just maybe a change is needed for him. I remember his coach at the time saying his plays at those stages were not part of the game plan but that’s Billy for you. He also stated that he was too good for reserves, is the mostly naturally talented player he’d coached & would be a good get for an NRL club.
As you say he wouldn’t be on much & is well worth the gamble.