What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Fordy20

Juniors
If JAC is staying at Storm for 2021 then I hope he can sign with us for 2022 in the coming weeks. Don't want to have to go through this merry go round once again.

IMO it's not a bad outcome if he does. Centre is the biggest question mark in our squad, and we all know Mbye is not a long term option in that position. Move Mbye to fullback, let Momo/BJ/Talau fight over the centre positions, then JAC can have first crack at fullback in 2022 with our settled centre pairings and Mbye moved to bench as utility. When 2023 rolls around, he stays as utility and we offer to re sign him on utility money.

This is contingent of JAC signing with us for 2022 in the coming weeks. I won't blame WT if we f**k JAC off if he gives us any "let's see how the year plays out" bullshit.

With the money we save, go after Mansour and Angus Chrighton.

I'm pretty happy with our centre depth. BJ has a club option for 2022, so he needs to demonstrate something next year to earn it. I'd be happy with a Momo, Talau centre pairing, so one of tnose guys will make a handy backup when BJ is injured or does something dumb that gets him suspended.

I reckon if we offered Mansour two years, he'd come, but that pivots on the Panthers releasing him and we haven't had much success with getting players to leave early. If he can't play for us next year, there's not a lot of point bringing him. AK spends another year on the wing and would have more upside than Mansour in 2022.

Happy for Mbye to play fullback for the year while we try and sort out a replacement, but it won't be JAC. He'll end up on the wing at Souths now that Gagai is off contract.

I know we're talking with Chritchon atm and he'd be a massive signing, but I just can't see him coming. With Cordner's head knocks, I reckon Chritchon will stay where he is and just step into the captain's role there at the Roosters.

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Its in the Telegraph as well, interesting they mentioned that we haven't given up on getting JAC for 2022. I wonder if having Roberts would help or discourage JAC to come here, the fact he left Souths tells me he's not close to the group of Latrell, Walker and JAC.
Of course the Tigers havent given up on JAC. But he's going to Souths and the only thing that'll stop it happening is Bennett. He doesn't like to shell out money for wingers.

As for Roberts, there were no personality issues with others. The poor guy suffers from depression, there's no rhyme or reason when you suffer from that

Vozzy

Juniors
I think we shouldnt go splurging yet anyway. By the end of next season we will have a lot of salary cap money. The main reason to me why we dont attract players yet is because players like JAC would be the only star player who would have to be so involved for us to succeed that they would think $600k wasnt enough for how much they would contribute. Where as with the storm and souths they share the work load more. I rather get like 3 ypung Charlie Staines type players at the moment then splurge on 1 player before getting rid of the likes of Packer and Reynolds. Like wait a year and see how much a Stephen Chrighton or other players at his age are worth.

I know we have waited along time but thats becuase of splurging while giving away our young talent. This time we didnt over offer JAC and we kept Nofo and Talau. I think this is the best way in the long run to do things.

Alarm!’

I’m a bit late but Jimmy the jet talking to tigers

Pascoe and I remain as one!

and we are sneaking about for panther Burton,

courtesy @BotanyBorn&Bred, our man at Souths.

A bit of kindness to visitors here and the quality people pay it back!

We’d be a good match for Jimmy. We are like the bloody foreign legion of rugby league.

I told everyone we were slying around! Jim looks comfy and interested, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
How disheveled does Pascoe look

You're a CEO f**king look professional man!

I don't mind Roberts, but man if Bennett has given up on him, I'd be worried!

Best to make sure his contract has some special clauses like Souffs

AB39D745-AB1A-415A-BDC5-61FB5AE33DA8.jpeg
He’s a bit trendier than most CEO’s, a bit of a chequered past, so “real knows real “ when it comes to many nrl players.

Jimmys out of shot, but you could be forgiven if by casual glance, but for age, one concluded that he was the CEO!

Whatever criticism is be made of Pascoe and Hartigan, they seem to be out there in the thick of the recruitment action having a white hot go.

If you aren’t slithering around trying it on, you are nowhere.

Uncontracted players panic a bit when they see this.

I fully endorse and commend the efforts of our leadership, sneaking about trying to capture good players. They are not dying wondering. I’m proud of them.

On his day, Jim is as strike as they come and he would make a massive positive impact on the team.

I would have brought a current player to the meeting probably mbye. He’s an impressive young man.

Last edited:

Hoofhearted

Juniors
From the Telegraph

Cut-price jet ready to accept rookie salary

James Roberts is preparing to take a near $400,000 pay cut to rekindle his NRL career after a secret meeting with the Wests Tigers.

The Tigers are unlikely to pursue the man known as ‘Jimmy the Jet’, despite the former NSW centre’s asking price dipping below that of some rookie players.

Once able to command about $550,000 on the open market, Roberts is prepared to accept around $130,000 to show he can still be a first grade player.

Tigers boss Justin Pascoe, head of football Adam Hartigan and Roberts met at an inner-west cafe on Thursday morning. Roberts was joined by his manager Warwick Wright.

974ebe4916f95666fe763018af40f6b2

James Roberts at a cafe in Concord on Thursday. Picture: DIIMEX
Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis said the meeting, which took place before the club was officially told that premier target Josh Addo-Carr would remain in Melbourne, was more about checking in on Roberts’ welfare.

“Justin has a history with James from their Penrith days,” Hagipantelis said. “They reached out to see how he was, where he is at and what his thoughts are his own future. There was nothing more concrete then that.

“He has had a difficult year. There was no discussions of contracts or money.”

___________________________________________________________________________________

So they want us to believe that we sent our CEO and Head of Football out to meet with Roberts and his Manager, were told that he will come for rookie price, and we said no thanks we just want to make sure you're ok.

Last edited:
From the Telegraph

Cut-price jet ready to accept rookie salary

James Roberts is preparing to take a near $400,000 pay cut to rekindle his NRL career after a secret meeting with the Wests Tigers.

The Tigers are unlikely to pursue the man known as ‘Jimmy the Jet’, despite the former NSW centre’s asking price dipping below that of some rookie players.

Once able to command about $550,000 on the open market, Roberts is prepared to accept around $130,000 to show he can still be a first grade player.

Tigers boss Justin Pascoe, head of football Adam Hartigan and Roberts met at an inner-west cafe on Thursday morning. Roberts was joined by his manager Warwick Wright.

974ebe4916f95666fe763018af40f6b2

James Roberts at a cafe in Concord on Thursday. Picture: DIIMEX
Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis said the meeting, which took place before the club was officially told that premier target Josh Addo-Carr would remain in Melbourne, was more about checking in on Roberts’ welfare.

“Justin has a history with James from their Penrith days,” Hagipantelis said. “They reached out to see how he was, where he is at and what his thoughts are his own future. There was nothing more concrete then that.

“He has had a difficult year. There was no discussions of contracts or money.”

___________________________________________________________________________________

So they want us to believe that we sent our CEO and Head of Football out to meet with Roberts and his Manager, were told that he will come for rookie price, and we said no thanks we just want to make sure you're ok.

Spot on.

Although as @Choiboi might suggest, perhaps the jet called up Pascoe to meet up with him and make sure he was ok.

gordsy

Juniors
That is actually a good deal raw speed at $130k will be on the end of most breaks. If he can play a full season he will add 10+ tries a year to us. This is better then the BJ deal to me considering its for like 500k less.

He is the wrong type of player for us. Notice he isn't near a professional club with the Roosters, Storm etc.The talk that he is offering himself for 150k should signal danger. No way he doesn't want the 400 he would miss out on back if he has a good year and then the problems start.

Also if it was just Pascoe catching up with him then why was his manager and Adam Hartigan around.
I have a feeling that Madge wants certain players but Pascoe and his merry band of dopes just keep saddling us with duds.

He is the wrong type of player for us. Notice he isn't near a professional club with the Roosters, Storm etc.The talk that he is offering himself for 150k should signal danger. No way he doesn't want the 400 he would miss out on back if he has a good year and then the problems start.

Also if it was just Pascoe catching up with him then why was his manager and Adam Hartigan around.
I have a feeling that Madge wants certain players but Pascoe and his merry band of dopes just keep saddling us with duds.

I just can’t see how $150k is a bad deal.

Money back after 3 or 4 games at stock level and the other 22 rounds or whatever are free.

Plus he can score, something many of our backs seem almost entirely incapable of achieving. Especially if we pay them overs.

Chairman Lee really needs to shut up. He was good and quiet after the Latrell fiasco now someone needs to knock him cold again for another 12 months. Just a gentle concussion so he can get on with his law work and not worry about the club. He’s so embarrassing!Pay us money and be quiet. That’s why you were voted in Lee. If we want your opinion. we will ask for it. Otherwise settle down with your excuse bullshit. All good, just shhhhh!!!!

Tigerm

First Grade

What happens here to Souths, if someone did take him on?

Are they penalised in anyway for his walk out?

Tiger05

First Grade
That is actually a good deal raw speed at $130k will be on the end of most breaks. If he can play a full season he will add 10+ tries a year to us. This is better then the BJ deal to me considering its for like 500k less.

If you get Roberts on a minimal contract it's fine with me.

Latest posts