What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 season

Sime_11

Juniors
as Panthers fan's - we should expect to make the Top 4 next year going off this years form...

in saying that - we Panther fans can't rest comfortable and find something to have doubt's about this team. We are a gloomy bunch with our beloved football team.

this year we went under the radar, next year we are in the spotlight all year - how will we handle the pressure and expectation?

i expect our defence to be good with Ivan's defence coaching ability, but our attack will get worked out so we need to have new ideas & trick-plays up our sleeve.

lets hope we have a repeat outcome of 1990-91 seasons in the 2020-21 seasons.

Kilkenny

Coach
Probably need to see the make up of our 28 or 30 man squad before making too many bold predictions.

There are quite a few spots to be filled and the loss of Tamou will be felt even allowing for the fact Lenui should be ready to play a far bigger role.

I tend to think we may miss Mansour more than many think as the work he does is sadly undervalued to a large degree. It is what it is and we just have to accept he cannot finish his career here and at the end of the day it is probably for the best for all parties.

With Mansours exit all but a formality now I think his money needs to be used to prioritise keeping Burton. Any top side really needs three quality halves as injury can strike at any time so his retention is critical.

We have every reason to be optimistic about our chances in 2021 but it will be as tough as ever to secure a top four spot.

It will be so good to go to Penrith Stadium with home crowds packed to the rafters.

Black Diamond

Juniors
Hey saying that worked this year..

That said we don't normally back up well after a good season
I think the loss of Tamou, Mansour and Barrett will be massive. Before you all start ridiculing me, my reason for this train of thought is that although I understand why these movements have happened, I think the loss of experience will hurt our chances of backing up such an amazing year as we have so many young blokes, yes talented, but young. We still haven't signed some of the blokes who we thought we would which is a worry and we replace Barrett our attacking coach with a dud defensive coach from the tigers.

Last edited:

tripster

Juniors
I think the loss of Tamou, Mansour and Barrett will be massive. Before you all start ridiculing me, my reason for this train of thought is that although I understand why these movements have happened, I think the loss of experience will hurt our chances of backing up such an amazing year as we have so many young blokes, yes talented, but young. We still haven't signed some of the blokes who we thought we would which is a worry and we replace Barrett our attacking coach with a dud defensive coach from the tigers.

Agree, losing Tamou and Mansour will be massive in itself. Our middle defense nearly always dropped this season when Tamou and JFH went off the field around the 20 min mark.

I don’t see our middle being as tight for the first 20 minutes assuming Leota is the new starting prop. It will be a big change for him going from impact bench prop to regular starting prop.

Mansour, even though he was not a big attacking threat still got our sets off to a good start when we were coming out of trouble. Staines might offer us a lot more in attack but he isn’t going to be making tough metres coming off our line. That is going to take some adjustment.

If we suffer any long term injuries in the forwards we will also have problems. This season we could cover an injury in the front row, next season we won’t have much depth there. If JFH or Leota get injured we will be in trouble.

Another thing that I am sure played a part in our success this season was the small to minimal crowds (until we got to the finals). There is no doubt that playing in front of stadiums full of noisy opposing crowds have an effect on players, the more so the younger and less experienced the player. Playing in front of largely empty stadiums is common in junior and reserve grades. I am sure this helped a lot of our young guys feel like things hadn’t changed a great deal from their junior football. However we saw how things changed in the finals in front of big crowds.

Perhaps I have a glass half empty perspective on it but I think it is very unlikely we will replicate our efforts of this season. A lot of stars aligned for us to get to where we did.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

12 months ago many on here were very critical of Barrett comming back as attack coach. I'll wait till see what he offers before making negative comments.

Would Staines have re-signed without a clear pathway to NRL, I know who has the more tomorrows and sad as it is it isn't Mansour.

Tamou left because of the good forwards needing to be upgraded in 2021 / 2022.

Black Diamond

Juniors
12 months ago many on here were very critical of Barrett comming back as attack coach. I'll wait till see what he offers before making negative comments.

Would Staines have re-signed without a clear pathway to NRL, I know who has the more tomorrows and sad as it is it isn't Mansour.

Tamou left because of the good forwards needing to be upgraded in 2021 / 2022.
Did you read my comment? I said I understand why the changes happened, my concern is lack of experience we are now left with. Barrett absolutely proved himself as an attacking coach, I did not make any comments regarding his credentials as a head coach, I was referring to the job he did at Penrith Panthers in 2020.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Did you read my comment? I said I understand why the changes happened, my concern is lack of experience we are now left with. Barrett absolutely proved himself as an attacking coach, I did not make any comments regarding his credentials as a head coach, I was referring to the job he did at Penrith Panthers in 2020.

I don't think I expressed myself particuarly well sorry.

When it was found out in 2019 that Barrett was comming back as an attack coach for 2020, many were negative about Trent's faults with the attack side oh things and how his time at Manly was.

Barrett offered so much to the coaching staffs especially about the attacking structures of the team

I'll wait and see what Webster offers to the coaching staffs before sticking the boot in.

The coaching staffs and players have (I'm sure) learnt heaps over this last season too. I am sure this will be enhanced and expanded.

I agree Penrith are loosing some experience with what looks like Sauce leaving and the fact that Tamou has already left.

Blokes like Yeo, Fish, Leota are now approaching the prime time of the careers. It's time for them to make the step up into leadership. The same goes for Cleary, Bizza, Edwards and co,

If sauce stayed I have no doubt Staines would have moved on. Staines has got far more tomorrows than Mansour has.

franklin2323

Immortal

The experience factor I think people are reading more into then it is. Like take Tamou. Yeo is likely captain will pick up heaps in the SOO camp. JFH I think stepped up over the last season.

As for Mansour this time last year. Most on here and generally had Mansour out of the side. Crichton and Luai again will get more from the SOO squad.
So we are better off then we were this time last year. We lacked speed and unless we put Jennings there then will have speed.

Barrett will be the biggest loss but stuff he taught the side they won't forget. Luai was a beast from Round 15 on. So I think natural evolution will see the guys improve.

For me it is depth and right centre long term

Black Diamond

Juniors
I don't think I expressed myself particuarly well sorry.

When it was found out in 2019 that Barrett was comming back as an attack coach for 2020, many were negative about Trent's faults with the attack side oh things and how his time at Manly was.

Barrett offered so much to the coaching staffs especially about the attacking structures of the team

I'll wait and see what Webster offers to the coaching staffs before sticking the boot in.

The coaching staffs and players have (I'm sure) learnt heaps over this last season too. I am sure this will be enhanced and expanded.

I agree Penrith are loosing some experience with what looks like Sauce leaving and the fact that Tamou has already left.

Blokes like Yeo, Fish, Leota are now approaching the prime time of the careers. It's time for them to make the step up into leadership. The same goes for Cleary, Bizza, Edwards and co,

If sauce stayed I have no doubt Staines would have moved on. Staines has got far more tomorrows than Mansour has.
I agree with a lot you have said. However, we have not filled our squad yet, unless the club has a plan to buy some experience, who will take these spots? More rookies?

I guess we will wait and see. I truly hope my concerns are unfounded.

Black Diamond

Juniors
The experience factor I think people are reading more into then it is. Like take Tamou. Yeo is likely captain will pick up heaps in the SOO camp. JFH I think stepped up over the last season.

As for Mansour this time last year. Most on here and generally had Mansour out of the side. Crichton and Luai again will get more from the SOO squad.
So we are better off then we were this time last year. We lacked speed and unless we put Jennings there then will have speed.

Barrett will be the biggest loss but stuff he taught the side they won't forget. Luai was a beast from Round 15 on. So I think natural evolution will see the guys improve.

For me it is depth and right centre long term
Agreed we do have guys who have done their apprenticeship and are more than capable of stepping into leadership roles.

Your point regarding depth is pretty much what I am saying in respect to losing the experience. At this point in time, our depth will be rookies unless the club has a plan they have yet to unveil to buy some experienced depth. I know we have bought Jennings and Eisenhuth but we still have members of our 2020 FG side unsigned.

franklin2323

Immortal
Agreed we do have guys who have done their apprenticeship and are more than capable of stepping into leadership roles.

Your point regarding depth is pretty much what I am saying in respect to losing the experience. At this point in time, our depth will be rookies unless the club has a plan they have yet to unveil to buy some experienced depth. I know we have bought Jennings and Eisenhuth but we still have members of our 2020 FG side unsigned.

I think we were too top heavy. Had too many guys like Jed with no experience a few more like Eisenhuth and Jennings would be good. Well a right centre too if Burton or Naden don't re-sign

Whino

Bench
Agree, losing Tamou and Mansour will be massive in itself. Our middle defense nearly always dropped this season when Tamou and JFH went off the field around the 20 min mark.

I don’t see our middle being as tight for the first 20 minutes assuming Leota is the new starting prop. It will be a big change for him going from impact bench prop to regular starting prop.

Mansour, even though he was not a big attacking threat still got our sets off to a good start when we were coming out of trouble. Staines might offer us a lot more in attack but he isn’t going to be making tough metres coming off our line. That is going to take some adjustment.

If we suffer any long term injuries in the forwards we will also have problems. This season we could cover an injury in the front row, next season we won’t have much depth there. If JFH or Leota get injured we will be in trouble.

Another thing that I am sure played a part in our success this season was the small to minimal crowds (until we got to the finals). There is no doubt that playing in front of stadiums full of noisy opposing crowds have an effect on players, the more so the younger and less experienced the player. Playing in front of largely empty stadiums is common in junior and reserve grades. I am sure this helped a lot of our young guys feel like things hadn’t changed a great deal from their junior football. However we saw how things changed in the finals in front of big crowds.

Perhaps I have a glass half empty perspective on it but I think it is very unlikely we will replicate our efforts of this season. A lot of stars aligned for us to get to where we did.

Agreed.
Add to that a lot of teams next year will be ready for us. We caught a lot of them by surprise this year. Next they will prepare better against us and lift to knock off a prized scalp.

Latest posts