What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap bonuses to clubs

T-Boon

Coach
Clubs should get bonus salary cap space as a reward for players who graduate from university.
The NRL should be encouraging the clubs a lot more to having their players enrolled at Uni and working towards something post NRL career. They have the time on their hands and not enough of them are to my knowledge doing good things with their spare time.
The club who has the most players graduate each year should get a bonus $200k the next year. Or something.

T-Boon

Coach
A number of players have trade apprenticeships. Should they be seen less worthy than a Uni degree? I do get what you’re getting at, though.

Uni degrees should be worth more than trade apprenticeships in my way of thinking for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, I don't see how players can be completing a trade and committed full time to the club. Uni is unique in that you can do it part time and at night time after training or whatever.
Secondly, partly where I am coming from is trying to get the game out of this obsession if has with being purely for the working class. The longer we have that mindset the more likely it is that AFL will take over the country.
Thirdly, we want more players finishing and going into the white collar professions. The game takes a toll on the body and the last thing you want is then to be going around for 20 years welding or roofing or plumbing or whatever.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A number of players have trade apprenticeships. Should they be seen less worthy than a Uni degree? I do get what you’re getting at, though.

this

exactly what I was going to say, tradies seem to have more opportunities now days as there are too many useless degrees being offered which dont eventuate in jobs

degrees, trades and traineeships so that there is life after footy

anything to keep some of these meat heads out of the commentary box

T-Boon

Coach
I understand those pushing for trades but as I said it just doesn’t work out. There is no way you can complete an apprenticeship and play first grade and I think if you are out of a trade for even a few years you are not that likely to go back.

Encouraging players to experience the leftist whingist sookist environment of universities is not a good idea.
I wish I could give this post 1,000,000 likes, because it is so true. Unis need to get rid of the leftist shit and just focus on STEM. Politics shouldn't have any place in the education system.

I understand those pushing for trades but as I said it just doesn’t work out. There is no way you can complete an apprenticeship and play first grade and I think if you are out of a trade for even a few years you are not that likely to go back.
This is a good point. I think a degree in something related to business management would benefit them in the long term.

Maybe even a degree in law?

Getting more RL players into the police force can only be good for the game.

I think your points in your second post explains it pretty well about abandoning the working class mindset. As much as I love the characters born out of game’s working man’s history, the big end of town will never take the game seriously. AFL has broken the class divide and has reaped the rewards. League needs to do the same.