What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 Year Origin Sides

Vee

First Grade
Couldn't see this posted anywhere.

As picked by fans I think.

Qld
Slater
Sailor
Meninga
Inglis
Boyd
Lewis
Thurston
Webcke
Smith
Civoniceva
Tallish
Thaiday
Parker

Gilmeister
Beetson
Lockyer
Lindner

Boyd out, Shearer or Tuquri or Folau in or Miles to centre and Inglis to wing
Thaiday out, Gilmeister/Larson/Miles in
Parker out, Lindner in
Jason Smith (Sorry IBM) and Steve Walters unlucky.

NSW
Tedesco
Ettinghausen
Gasnier
Daley
Grothe
Fittler
Johns
Lazarus
Buderus
Harragon
Menzies
Hindmarsh
Clyde

Elias
Roach
Brett Morris
Gallen

Needs more Brett Kenny.
Backrow could be better with Sironen, Kennedy etc
Probably don't need a winger on the bench as good as BMoz is. Craig Wing could cover anywhere allowing another big forward on the bench for Elias.
McGregor must be close for Gaz, choice of styles I guess.

T-Boon

Coach
I'd have Hayne in for ET.
Shift Fittler to lock and Clyde to second row for Hindmarsh (love him but he was nothing more than a workhourse)
Put Daley to 5/8 and bring Kenny in to centre or vice versa.
Also agree that Menzies does not really belong.
I would also put Benny Elias in ahead of Buderous. I always though Buds was over rated and Elias under rated.

mongoose

Coach
QLD side is crazy.. Lockyer can only make the bench, no Langer either.

Kenny should probably be in the NSW side and yes the Hayne plane could have taken a wing spot.

Vee

First Grade
QLD side is crazy.. Lockyer can only make the bench, no Langer either.

Kenny should probably be in the NSW side and yes the Hayne plane could have taken a wing spot.
Locky has Slater and Lewis in front of him, someone had to miss out but I could cop him at 1.

Agree on Hayne though his Hayne First attitude could be held against him.

Tough fitting Kenny/Daley/Fittler into one side. My personal preference is Kenny at 5/8, Daley is equally good at centre but Freddie's best spot is clearly 5/8 too.

Hayne performed the best of close to every winger I’ve seen in origin. Brett Morris is one of my favourites, and deserving of consideration for NSW. But an all time blues team without Hayne in it doesn’t seem just.

Others I’m not do adament about but I’d have...

Elias at 9.
Gallen starting at lock.
Kenny at 6 - the only bloke who genuinely competed with the King.
Greg Bird - played out of his skin for the blues

Clyde to bench (even though great, played 12 games for NSW)
Fittler - bench.
Menzies - bench
Paul McGregor - add to bench

Buderus/Roach/Bmoz/Grothe out.

So

Tedesco
Ettingshausen
Gasnier
Daley
Hayne
Kenny
Johns
Gallen
Hindmarsh
Bird
Lazarus
Elias
Harragon

Bench

Fittler
Clyde
Menzies
McGregor

Vee

First Grade
Hayne performed the best of close to every winger I’ve seen in origin. Brett Morris is one of my favourites, and deserving of consideration for NSW. But an all time blues team without Hayne in it doesn’t seem just.

Others I’m not do adament about but I’d have...

Elias at 9.
Gallen starting at lock.
Kenny at 6 - the only bloke who genuinely competed with the King.
Greg Bird - played out of his skin for the blues

Clyde to bench (even though great, played 12 games for NSW)
Fittler - bench.
Menzies - bench
Paul McGregor - add to bench

Buderus/Roach/Bmoz/Grothe out.

So

Tedesco
Ettingshausen
Gasnier
Daley
Hayne
Kenny
Johns
Gallen
Hindmarsh
Bird
Lazarus
Elias
Harragon

Bench

Fittler
Clyde
Menzies
McGregor
Short of oomph on the bench, at least one big man needed imo.

As for the so-called bruise brothers and Elias, plenty of errors, penalties and self-interest there for qld to work with.

T-Boon

Coach
I am surprised people have Hindmarsh in their origin team. I thought he was an all time great for Parra but he wasnt even trusted to run the ball often for NSW. Tackled like a machine but big deal. Also I wouldnt have Hindmarsh and Hayne in the same team as they hate each other. Or at least Hindy hates Hayne.

As for the so-called bruise brothers and Elias, plenty of errors, penalties and self-interest there for qld to work with.

So Fittler and Clyde lack oomph eh...

Bird was a weapon who got right in the faces of Qld. We hadn’t had that in years. Gallen gave everything on the field and played one of the best games in the front row for 80 minutes. Errors??? Hardly. They were the guys who took on the maroon pack in the Qld golden era, many others were bog standard forwards. They are much of the reason we were competitive in most series.

And if it wasn’t for that streaker at Homebush, we might have won more than just 1 series during that time.

Vee

First Grade
So Fittler and Clyde lack oomph eh...

Bird was a weapon who got right in the faces of Qld. We hadn’t had that in years. Gallen gave everything on the field and played one of the best games in the front row for 80 minutes. Errors??? Hardly. They were the guys who took on the maroon pack in the Qld golden era, many others were bog standard forwards. They are much of the reason we were competitive in most series.

And if it wasn’t for that streaker at Homebush, we might have won more than just 1 series during that time.
If you think so...

SBD82

Coach
Same goes for me with a team that doesn’t have Jarryd Hayne in it. But that’s the beauty of individual opinions.
Hayne was never going to be picked with his outstanding criminal charges. The NRL will do everything they can to distance themselves from him at the moment.

SBD82

Coach

Yeah. Bird and Gal were shocking Origin players. They thought that Origin was just about niggling, and forgot that they needed to win the game.

Between those two and Farah, our late tackle attacking options in good ball were stifled for several years.