What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
Raw stats don't mean that much mate. What happens when Ado-Car makes a line break as opposed to what happens when Sivo makes one? How many tries does Ado-Car either set up directly or indirectly with his line-breaks? IMO he's twice the player Shivo is..

If Addo-Carr's linebreaks led to tries, he would have try assists tallied to his name.

His try assist, and linebreak assist, tallies weren't much far ahead of Sivo's.

Addo-Carr is faster than Sivo, but Sivo is far stronger.

Addo-Carr is a better winger than Sivo, but the margin is nowhere near as big as some would claim it to be.

The statistics - despite people wanting to denigrate them, for some inexplicable reason - show that both players perform quite similarly, and yet Addo-Carr wants to demand close to $1 million a season...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Agree stats dont always tell the whole story.
NSW and Storm can successfully play a compressed defence like we do however the key difference is JAC can mow down anyone hence they can defend even closer in.
When we do so, we get burnt as our Wingers dont have that express pace to reign in the opposition quickly if at all.
Just like when ppl were saying you wouldn't pay more than $500k or $600k for Semi as he's a winger is completely wrong. Semi is a footballer. JAC is too.
They have the ability to start, stop and score tries

There is absolutely no comparison between Semi, and Addo-Carr - Semi has a bigger motor, and performs better than Addo-Carr in every meaningful category.

This line that "stats don't tell the whole story" is simply not true - statistics will show tackles, missed tackles, ineffective tackles, tries, try assists, linebreaks, linebreak assists, etc - and Addo-Carr simply doesn't perform at a level that blows Sivo out of the water.

Soto

Bench
There is absolutely no comparison between Semi, and Addo-Carr - Semi has a bigger motor, and performs better than Addo-Carr in every meaningful category.

This line that "stats don't tell the whole story" is simply not true - statistics will show tackles, missed tackles, ineffective tackles, tries, try assists, linebreaks, linebreak assists, etc - and Addo-Carr simply doesn't perform at a level that blows Sivo out of the water.
Not comparing Semi to JAC..Semi hands down best winger. What I'm saying is these type of players have more than what stats tell you..
Stats wont tell u how a player like JAC sprinted to catch a bloke in goal, pressured the attacker etc..that's the key difference where a stat just does not exist to report on the extra things that makes these blokes so good...
Anyways i think u have missed the point

redVinme

Bench
Not comparing Semi to JAC..Semi hands down best winger. What I'm saying is these type of players have more than what stats tell you..
Stats wont tell u how a player like JAC sprinted to catch a bloke in goal, pressured the attacker etc..that's the key difference where a stat just does not exist to report on the extra things that makes these blokes so good...

Popping in to agree with you. Nsw literally had a game plan to compress the d line knowing that if QLD spread wide no player could out run JAC. He was often 2 men in and nsw knew they could trust that. Can't coach it. It is what it is.

Gronk

Staff member
Hayne to make a comeback in the centres to replace jennings if he is found guilty. 1 year contract with the option in clubs favour for the second year. Modest contract.

Nostradamus making a massive call here. You must have Jennings’s B sample results, to know if he is suspended.

There is also a small matter of Hayne’s rape charge that is set for a two week trial starting on 19 November.

Eelementary

Post Whore

That's one statistic that can't be measured - I fail to see how one statistic which can't be accurately measured suddenly means that all statistics which can be accurately measured don’t tell a proper picture of what's happening on the field.

The asinine line of reasoning of "stats don't tell the full picture" is generally used by people to try to discredit an opinion which differs from their own.

Ask yourself - will the clubs who are willing to pay $800,000 for Addo-Carr look at the drop-outs he has forced, and think, "Gee, he's worth every cent of that coin!"

There's no doubt that his ability to force drop-outs through sheer speed, or create counter-attacks through raw pace, will be a handsome bonus.

But I'd wager most intelligent clubs would look at tangible statistics to justify his price.

Will they look at his linebreaks, linebreak assists, tries, and try assists, to justify his price tag?

Frankly, I think it's clear cut which scenario is more plausible; furthermore, with statistics like the ones he put up in 2020, Maika Sivo could definitely turn out to be a cheaper, slower (and yet, no less efficient) winger to Addo-Carr, who still produces similar stats to the Fox, if given time to develop his game.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I've said from the start - I think Addo-Carr is a wonderful winger.

But my gripe with him lies in the fact that he simply doesn't do enough work; Bevan French was criticised by all and sundry for not having enough runs, but Addo-Carr performs similarly (in terms of runs made per game), and it is fine, because he's not that sort of player.

I (and I am happy to be in the minority with this thought) don't believe that a winger who makes fewer than 10 runs per match is worth close to a million dollars.

Semi Radradra would easily be worth that, and more; he would do plenty of work, score (and set up) plenty of tries, and make (and create) plenty of linebreaks.

I believe that the antiquated notion that wingers shouldn't be on big coin is crippling the game; never in the history of rugby league have big, quick, hard-working wingers been more important to their team.

Soto

Bench
I've said from the start - I think Addo-Carr is a wonderful winger.

But my gripe with him lies in the fact that he simply doesn't do enough work; Bevan French was criticised by all and sundry for not having enough runs, but Addo-Carr performs similarly (in terms of runs made per game), and it is fine, because he's not that sort of player.

I (and I am happy to be in the minority with this thought) don't believe that a winger who makes fewer than 10 runs per match is worth close to a million dollars.

Semi Radradra would easily be worth that, and more; he would do plenty of work, score (and set up) plenty of tries, and make (and create) plenty of linebreaks.

I believe that the antiquated notion that wingers shouldn't be on big coin is crippling the game; never in the history of rugby league have big, quick, hard-working wingers been more important to their team.
Especially like your last paragraph..dont necessarily have to be big but quick and hard working is a must. If Nofoaluma didn't have defensive deficiencies he would be a fantastic winger

Avenger

Immortal
NRL checks Cartwright's salary sacrifice
The NRL has asked Parramatta to hold off announcing the signing of Bryce Cartwright as the NRL Integrity Unit looks into a couple of things that raised concern.

The NRL has been doing its due diligence on Cartwright's exit from the Gold Coast, with the former Panthers backrower walking away from a $600,000 deal with the Titans for a $130,000 deal with the Eels.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing, however given the significant salary sacrifice, the NRL wants to make sure everything is above board before the Eels announce his deal.

4c00bc92175f9a0a34ca42770d8ee51b1c12fe32

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in...dshake-deal-with-penrith-20201115-p56es5.html

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agree stats dont always tell the whole story.
NSW and Storm can successfully play a compressed defence like we do however the key difference is JAC can mow down anyone hence they can defend even closer in.
When we do so, we get burnt as our Wingers dont have that express pace to reign in the opposition quickly if at all.
Just like when ppl were saying you wouldn't pay more than $500k or $600k for Semi as he's a winger is completely wrong. Semi is a footballer. JAC is too.
They have the ability to start, stop and score tries
Addo-Carr's kick chase is worth plenty too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The NRL has asked Parramatta to hold off announcing the signing of Bryce Cartwright as the NRL Integrity Unit looks into a couple of things that raised concern.

The NRL has been doing its due diligence on Cartwright's exit from the Gold Coast, with the former Panthers backrower walking away from a $600,000 deal with the Titans for a $130,000 deal with the Eels.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing, however given the significant salary sacrifice, the NRL wants to make sure everything is above board before the Eels announce his deal.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in...dshake-deal-with-penrith-20201115-p56es5.html
Maybe they just want to give the Roosters the opportunity to match it.

hindy111

Post Whore
Nostradamus making a massive call here. You must have Jennings’s B sample results, to know if he is suspended.

There is also a small matter of Hayne’s rape charge that is set for a two week trial starting on 19 November.

I reckon if join dots. His form was average and no contract. The coronavirus is running wild in Europe so no chance of a contract in UK.
His chances of 200-250k a year vs a 50-60k job lied on his form which was looking poor. And I doubt anyone takes him.
But MJ form turned around. He looked strong and fast again. He got 2yrs extension where his previous contract was a 1yr extension.
So if he did use a banned substance I reckon on his behalf it was worth the risk. Gets done he retires. Keeps playing with poor form he doesn't get a contract.........

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

same article on Mansour:

The Tigers are happy to sign him on a two-year deal, but not three. Parramatta are also keen to lure him to the club, which has received glowing recommendations from a number of ex-Panthers in the squad, however it requires Ayoub finding a new home for his other client, Blake Ferguso