What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what to make of all this but...........

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...e-deal-with-penrith/ar-BB1b1zl6?ocid=msedgdhp

In his own words: Crichton confirms handshake deal with Penrith
Michael Chammas 58 mins ago
The way the Stephen Crichton extension has been handled could explode in the coming days.
The drama surrounding Stephen Crichton's future is set to intensify after the Penrith superstar admitted to a handshake deal with coach Ivan Cleary earlier in the year that his new manager is now refuting.

Nine colleague Danny Weidler reported in The Sun Herald on Sunday that Crichton's new management firm, led by agent Sam Ayoub, were "bemused to say the least" in regards to an alleged $1.5 million handshake deal this column revealed a few weeks ago.

The very notion of the handshake deal's existence is being used as a threat against the club, with Weidler on Sunday reporting "the more that is suggested, the greater the chance there could be a problem".

However, in an interview with The Herald during grand final week, unbeknown to Ayoub and not previously published, Crichton was specifically asked if he had vowed to honour the deal Penrith put forward mid-season, which wasn't signed off on as a courtesy from the club to allow the 20-year-old to leave his former manager Mark Stewart in November.

"I heard that you shook hands with Ivan and said 'I'm not going to change my mind, a deal is a deal'. A verbal agreement. Is that right?" Crichton was asked by The Herald on October 18.

"Yeah, yeah," Crichton replied before hinting that he was going to discard the agreement. "I'm just trying to see what's best for me and my family, especially because I'm the only one at home paying off and helping my mum and dad. I really want to get a good deal, good enough so my parents don't have to work any more.

"I'm the only one at home, I'm the oldest one at home as well because my brothers have all moved out of home with their families and kids. My parents are relying on me so, yeah. I'm just trying to sort out what the best deal is for me and my family and what's really going to help us. I want to stay at Penrith, but, yeah."

Crichton was then pressed on the details of his conversation with the coach which left the club of the opinion that his future was committed to Penrith on the three year, $1.5 million deal.

"I've told Ivan that I really want to stay here," Crichton said last month. "But I just want to see what the best deal for my family is."

The Herald contacted Panthers head of football Matt Cameron on Sunday afternoon, but he declined to comment.

Ayoub's argument that Crichton is worth more than $500,000 is valid. The Blues squad member would likely attract offers of around $600,000 to $700,000 elsewhere, such is the talent he possesses. But Penrith are disappointed with how the version of events have changed over time.

Crichton is contracted to Penrith until the end of 2021, however he is now able to talk to rival clubs after becoming a free agent on November 1. Things will escalate once he comes out of NSW Origin camp on Thursday.

The Panthers face an uphill battle trying to retain all their star juniors, which would be aided by the potential release of fan favourite Josh Mansour before the season. The problem for Penrith is that Mansour is also managed by Ayoub, who is expected to push any savings the club gains from Mansour's likely release towards Crichton's new deal. Penrith want to use some of that money to keep the likes of Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo at the club beyond the end of next season.

Mansour and Leniu in demand
Speaking of Mansour, the Wests Tigers remain the favourites to secure his services, however the club will not take him on until the end of 2023 as Ayoub is demanding. The 30-year-old was one of the best wingers in the NRL in 2020 and would provide the Tigers with valuable leadership that has been lacking at the joint venture, however his age is a sticking point for the club.

The Tigers are happy to sign him on a two-year deal, but not three. Parramatta are also keen to lure him to the club, which has received glowing recommendations from a number of ex-Panthers in the squad, however it requires Ayoub finding a new home for his other client, Blake Ferguson.

The Panthers may also struggle to keep young prop Spencer Leniu, who is off contract at the end of the year. Penrith offered him a two-year extension before the finals, but at least four clubs have since expressed interest in his services for 2022, including Trent Barrett at the Bulldogs.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-15_21-11-18.png
    upload_2020-11-15_21-11-18.png
    68 bytes · Views: 3

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Sadly not surprised. Dissappointed in Stephen's behaviour but not at all shocked. If Stephen claims Christainity as he does on social meda, perhaps he needs to look at his bible and it's teachings and then look at himself.

I worked out about a week ago that ultra management are clients of Stephen and Josh, so I will leave that there.

Exsilium

First Grade
None of that sounds promising but I am not at all surprised.

If we lose Burton, Crichton, Leniu on top of who we’ve let go, there’s something very wrong.

If this playing group was as tight as the media and all the player quotes suggested throughout the year, then players not re-signing or leaving has to indicate that it’s more than the salary cap at play.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Perhaps I am being overly harsh, but I am a believer of doing what you say you will do.

So Stephen will now demand more money that what he originally agreed to.................

Jane Murray

Bench

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...e-deal-with-penrith/ar-BB1b1zl6?ocid=msedgdhp

The way the Stephen Crichton extension has been handled could explode in the coming days.
The drama surrounding Stephen Crichton's future is set to intensify after the Penrith superstar admitted to a handshake deal with coach Ivan Cleary earlier in the year that his new manager is now refuting.

Nine colleague Danny Weidler reported in The Sun Herald on Sunday that Crichton's new management firm, led by agent Sam Ayoub, were "bemused to say the least" in regards to an alleged $1.5 million handshake deal this column revealed a few weeks ago.

The very notion of the handshake deal's existence is being used as a threat against the club, with Weidler on Sunday reporting "the more that is suggested, the greater the chance there could be a problem".

However, in an interview with The Herald during grand final week, unbeknown to Ayoub and not previously published, Crichton was specifically asked if he had vowed to honour the deal Penrith put forward mid-season, which wasn't signed off on as a courtesy from the club to allow the 20-year-old to leave his former manager Mark Stewart in November.

"I heard that you shook hands with Ivan and said 'I'm not going to change my mind, a deal is a deal'. A verbal agreement. Is that right?" Crichton was asked by The Herald on October 18.

"Yeah, yeah," Crichton replied before hinting that he was going to discard the agreement. "I'm just trying to see what's best for me and my family, especially because I'm the only one at home paying off and helping my mum and dad. I really want to get a good deal, good enough so my parents don't have to work any more.

"I'm the only one at home, I'm the oldest one at home as well because my brothers have all moved out of home with their families and kids. My parents are relying on me so, yeah. I'm just trying to sort out what the best deal is for me and my family and what's really going to help us. I want to stay at Penrith, but, yeah."

Crichton was then pressed on the details of his conversation with the coach which left the club of the opinion that his future was committed to Penrith on the three year, $1.5 million deal.

"I've told Ivan that I really want to stay here," Crichton said last month. "But I just want to see what the best deal for my family is."

The Herald contacted Panthers head of football Matt Cameron on Sunday afternoon, but he declined to comment.

Ayoub's argument that Crichton is worth more than $500,000 is valid. The Blues squad member would likely attract offers of around $600,000 to $700,000 elsewhere, such is the talent he possesses. But Penrith are disappointed with how the version of events have changed over time.

Crichton is contracted to Penrith until the end of 2021, however he is now able to talk to rival clubs after becoming a free agent on November 1. Things will escalate once he comes out of NSW Origin camp on Thursday.

The Panthers face an uphill battle trying to retain all their star juniors, which would be aided by the potential release of fan favourite Josh Mansour before the season. The problem for Penrith is that Mansour is also managed by Ayoub, who is expected to push any savings the club gains from Mansour's likely release towards Crichton's new deal. Penrith want to use some of that money to keep the likes of Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo at the club beyond the end of next season.

Speaking of Mansour, the Wests Tigers remain the favourites to secure his services, however the club will not take him on until the end of 2023 as Ayoub is demanding. The 30-year-old was one of the best wingers in the NRL in 2020 and would provide the Tigers with valuable leadership that has been lacking at the joint venture, however his age is a sticking point for the club.

The Tigers are happy to sign him on a two-year deal, but not three. Parramatta are also keen to lure him to the club, which has received glowing recommendations from a number of ex-Panthers in the squad, however it requires Ayoub finding a new home for his other client, Blake Ferguson.

The Panthers may also struggle to keep young prop Spencer Leniu, who is off contract at the end of the year. Penrith offered him a two-year extension before the finals, but at least four clubs have since expressed interest in his services for 2022, including Trent Barrett at the Bulldogs.
I would be showing Stephen Crichton the door.

Black Diamond

Juniors

That is so dissappointing to read. If true, it feels like our team is about to be ripped apart.

maple_69

Bench
I find it odd that he’s not linked to anyone in all this. If he was shopping around he’d be linked to the Tigers, Titans, Dogs and 5 more clubs. I’ll believe it when he signs. If he does leave, we’ll he’s a dick.

The_Frog

First Grade
If I remember correctly there was a game earlier this season where it was reported there was only but one or two players in our 17 who were either not local juniors or who did not come thru our junior systems.
In Round 19 vs Cowboys, 16 of our 17 debuted for the club.

The club were very naive to believe in a handshake deal. They should’ve pushed harder for Crichton to re-sign earlier, they had to know he was a decent chance of making the extended origin squad.

Either that or wait to open negotiations until he signed with a new manager. Putting the 500k on the table made it clear where we stood.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The club were very naive to believe in a handshake deal. They should’ve pushed harder for Crichton to re-sign earlier, they had to know he was a decent chance of making the extended origin squad.

Either that or wait to open negotiations until he signed with a new manager. Putting the 500k on the table made it clear where we stood.

I tend to agree. Hopefully he still will re-sign. Although I'm pretty sure it will cost more.

Kilkenny

Coach
The merry go round continues.

Everyone seemed comfortable around shopping Josh Mansour around and at the same time the ‘kids’ after a handful of appearances may just be holding us to ransom. Go figure.

It’s largely paper talk and I don’t read too much into it.

I’m sure it will all be good in the end. Surely.

age.s

First Grade
Eh. Cant fault Crichton. He's looking to secure a future for a family that doesn't come from money. Just ask Te Maire Martin how quick it can be over.

It's unfortunate for the club, but then the way things have played out has been unfortunate for Mansour. It is what it is.

hindy111

Post Whore
The issue is not about whether Josh Mansour saw it coming or not.

The bigger picture really isn’t about Josh Mansour.

It is about the fact we are a development club.

We invest millions, or did prior to Covid, in our junior pathways and in the central west of NSW.

We are being penalised for investing in the grass roots of the game, bringing our own thru the junior ranks only to see them potentially ‘stolen’ from us from clubs who spend but a fraction of our own investments on junior pathways.

If I remember correctly there was a game earlier this season where it was reported there was only but one or two players in our 17 who were either not local juniors or who did not come thru our junior systems. I remember at the time feeling so proud of such a significant achievement, but as it stands now all the talk is around one or more of our junior talents being poached by other clubs.

Josh Mansour was not a Penrith Junior, he played for the Bunnies and was unwanted. Gus Gould gave him an opportunity and I consider him to be a Penrith player regardless of his former status.

After exceeding all expectations in 2020 we are now faced with uncertainty going forward into 2021 and that it really really sad.

Our club deserved better, our fans deserved better and frankly the NRL deserved better because our group of players in 2020 really made the NRL a better competition.

Rant over.

Well Tigers pinched Stefano from eels for 300k. Hadn't played NRL.
Roosters did same with this Suli guy from Souths. It happens.
We signed some big names so it happens. So did Souths by getting Arrow
You guys picked up Korisau,Capewell and paying some for RCG and Blake.
Unfair yes but also reasons why its happened

hindy111

Post Whore
NRL checks Cartwright's salary sacrifice
The NRL has asked Parramatta to hold off announcing the signing of Bryce Cartwright as the NRL Integrity Unit looks into a couple of things that raised concern.

The NRL has been doing its due diligence on Cartwright's exit from the Gold Coast, with the former Panthers backrower walking away from a $600,000 deal with the Titans for a $130,000 deal with the Eels.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing, however given the significant salary sacrifice, the NRL wants to make sure everything is above board before the Eels announce his deal.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
We are all worried about how we are going to keep players this year. As Blade has mentioned next year is even worse.

According to NRL the following players can be approached in Nov 2021.

Edwards
JFH
Kiks
Api
Leota
Tetevano

How much money will we have left after this year and still be able to afford to keep most of these players.

The only players we have locked in for the next 2 years are

Cleary
Martin
Staines
To'o

Hope the juniors have been training hard.
We are going to need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts