What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

Brutus

Referee
1.Cameron Smith
2. Steve Walters
3. Greg Conescu
4. Troy Evans (Cherry-Evans :)
5. Nick Geiger

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/c...n/news-story/0c4b1971a5ba4046fe31d3d80a326f0f

“Honestly, if I was going to have an affair – which I never would – why would I do it with someone with a profile as big as hers? And in my own sport?” the excerpt reads.

t2ec16rhjgwe9nytuzbrbwsgwg60_57.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d pick the guy who I didn’t have to dodgy up 2 seperate life contracts for.

In saying that, choosing who is the slimiest out of Back-Door Benny and Cammy is a pretty tough choice as well.

Well I'd pick the guy that was going to be the club figure head, inspiring leader, trophy winner GOAT capt. But each to their own lol.

The quotse from Cameron Smith's own autobiography, quoted in the article re-produced below (source: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/former...-boss-hits-back-at-smith-over-cap-rort_161120) probably sums up why many people do not like him -

'Plain wrong': Gallop responds to Smith's salary cap criticism
By WWOS staff
3 hours ago

Former NRL CEO David Gallop has hit out at Storm champion Cameron Smith for criticising the league's administration during Melbourne's infamous salary cap breach.

The Storm had the book thrown at them in 2010 for cheating the salary cap by an estimated $1.7 million over five years, with Gallop, who was the NRL CEO at the time, hitting the club with a substantial punishment.

The NRL fined the club $1.1 million and stripped Melbourne of their 2007 and 2009 premierships, plus three minor premierships.

In his new autobiography which was released on Monday, The Storm Within, Smith revealed where his anger really lies with the situation, which surprisingly wasn't directed at former Storm CEO Brian Waldron or anyone at the club.

The three-time premiership winner conceded he was left most frustrated with Gallop and the NRL for putting the Storm's players in a vulnerable position before the investigation had concluded.

"When people ask me who I'm most angry with for what happened they generally think I'll say (CEO) Brian Waldron but it's not," Smith wrote in his autobiography.

"My anger is mainly directed at the NRL for the penalties they handed down and the way the whole matter was handled. And for that I blame David Gallop.

"By punishing us before undertaking a thorough investigation Gallop put the players in a position they should never have been in. It allowed the media to give the public the idea we had knowledge of what happened. We were hung out to dry by the boss of the game."

Responding to Smith's criticism, Gallop said Smith was "just plain wrong" and urged the Queensland legend to point the finger at the Storm and not the NRL's administration.

"I was surprised to read Cameron's opinion," Gallop told The Daily Telegraph.

"Cameron should direct his criticism to the culprits, not the NRL administration which acted fairly and appropriately on the facts in front of it."

I'm no fan of Gallop, but I think on this one he is correct.

taxidriver

Coach
The quotse from Cameron Smith's own autobiography, quoted in the article re-produced below (source: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/former...-boss-hits-back-at-smith-over-cap-rort_161120) probably sums up why many people do not like him -

I'm no fan of Gallop, but I think on this one he is correct.
Have more conviction

he’s spot on so you can be certain

smith is still deflecting all these years later , he knew what was happening

his fanboys tell us how smart he is and in the next breath expect us to believe he was oblivious? Pffft

Chimp

Juniors
The bloke clearly thinks he is above the game;

The salary cap cheating and subsequent whining about the punishment - the Storm management owned up, infact, they were forced by News Ltd to bend over and take their punishment to stop any further digging as that could have landed News Execs in legal strife. The players and managers got away scott free, he should be thanking his lucky stars and never mentioning it again.
The barb ring - Reading that he felt like walking away from the game due to the uproar. SO WHAT... Why shouldn’t people be entitled to an opinion on it?

Why does he think he’s more special than anyone else?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This only makes me despise the Storm even more. They have had ample opportunity to shut the f**k up about it. Not saying they need to admit they cheated (we all know that was never coming) but the fact that Smith blames the NRL for their systematic cheating, Ryan Hoffman puts up post claiming they won those premierships, it's just all bullshit. These guys have a God complex about the fact they're somehow bigger than the game. Just shut up.

I just don't know how more plain it can be. Cameron Smith was the captain. He was his own manager. He had multiple contracts. He cheated. He's a shit person.

gerg

Juniors
It was a long time ago, but my memory of it was that the NRL attempted a thorough investigation (like Cam wanted) but Cam and all the players refused to comply. Was it only Finch and Sergeant who agreed to an interview then the rest refused? And didn't those two just basically refuse to comment on every single question?

Edit, sorry Dallas Johnson not Sergeant.

Last edited:

Chimp

Juniors
It was a long time ago, but my memory of it was that the NRL attempted a thorough investigation (like Cam wanted) but Cam and all the players refused to comply. Was it only Finch and Sergeant who agreed to an interview then the rest refused? And didn't those two just basically refuse to comment on every single question?

Edit, sorry Dallas Johnson not Sergeant.
They gave all their evidence of 2 sets of books to the NRL to allow a sanction and agreed to accept whatever sanction. The trade off of doing that was that there would be no further external investigation and it would be left to News Ltd to investigate internally - that stopped any potential legal ramifications for a public limited company. News did that and sacked the club manager, nobody else had a case to answer - he took the fall for everyone.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
At least he mentions it in his book. I was expecting the billy slater approach of closing his eyes, sticking his fingers in his ears and yelling "LA LA LA LA move along, nothing to see here"!!! Then moving onto the next chapter

myrrh ken

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/0f5591f330b42ca91b80bffdbe32c8dc

Almost quit because of the ring fiasco. Poor Cam.

“It was claimed the money could have been better spent on grassroots football,’’ Smith wrote in the book.

“I could not believe what our game had become. This had overstepped the mark. And Barb was devastated."

He's incredulous that there's now criticism of freebies like this, double contracts, testimonial games.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
He's up in Qld, probably sitting in his club paid for mansion, with his club paid for cars in the driveway and his club paid for renovations in progress, just lapping it all up.

Once again, just like he has done on the field for the last 600 years, he's playing the game better than anyone else. The fact that he can get Hoops & Kent to write about him daily and keep him in the news cycle just means his pockets get more and more lined. The more they talk shit about him, the more they try and get everyone to hate him the better it is for him. It's keeping him in the spotlight without him even really having to say anything. These fox blokes, Weidler, Cronk etc just don't get it, they are working for him!

The ultimate heel of the NRL Era, played both games (media & footy) better then anyone before. He could make more money as a professor in Jimmie Rustling then he has in footy

Latest posts