What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2020 Crowd Watch

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Agree totally. Looked at getting a seat and can’t bring myself to pay $300 for a sideline seat. No doubt the tickets will be handed to sponsors tomorrow to ensure the 50k is met.
I think the 2000 given to emergency workers have just been allocated. You can now only get 8 tickets together in the diamond or unlicensed categories, so maybe they have found a way already. I was hoping that the BS pricing structure was not going to survive the pandemic, ah well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the 2000 given to emergency workers have just been allocated. You can now only get 8 tickets together in the diamond or unlicensed categories, so maybe they have found a way already. I was hoping that the BS pricing structure was not going to survive the pandemic, ah well.

We paid $440 for two tickets behind the posts ground level at Optus. ok for a one off but wouldn't dream of paying that sort of money every year. Especially as it pssed it down and we spent most of the game stood on the concourse watching it as the seats weren't covered!

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
We paid $440 for two tickets behind the posts ground level at Optus. ok for a one off but wouldn't dream of paying that sort of money every year. Especially as it pssed it down and we spent most of the game stood on the concourse watching it as the seats weren't covered!
Yep once off it is fun, I have paid that much at the MCG too. I remember the days of sitting on ticketek scrambling to get tickets for Suncorp origins - picking up sideline seats for $100. The whole stadium was sold out in about 15 minutes usually, and you knew that the first batch you were offered were what you had to take! Now a family of four behind the posts is $1200.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Origin is a premium event and is the top sporting event in the country. It SHOULD be priced accordingly. Basic economics tells us that Suncorp selling out in 15 mins means the tickets are too cheap.

Billythekid

First Grade
Origin is a premium event and is the top sporting event in the country. It SHOULD be priced accordingly. Basic economics tells us that Suncorp selling out in 15 mins means the tickets are too cheap.

For now. There is a balance to be had between maximising revenue and turning people away from the game.

Fair, Just saw on Twitter and copied the wording.

It's incredible shithousery but I'm all for it. Still rather that than at the start of the season when ScoMo waited until after hillsong to put a ban on large gatherings.
Not a the crazy prices they are charging, so short sighted it actually makes me furious.

Origin usually sells out by kick off no matter where it is played which suggests they've got the pricing strategy just right to maximise profits for Rugby League
Rubbish people just get pissed off with those prices, I’m not paying over $1000 to take my family to a gave of footy.
Those that do pay it probably won’t next year.
There is still a lot of tickets left and that is purely because it’s too expensive.

greenBV4

Bench
Rubbish people just get pissed off with those prices, I’m not paying over $1000 to take my family to a gave of footy.
There is still a lot of tickets left and that is purely because it’s too expensive.
Don't get me wrong i can't afford that much either, but obviously enough can and will, and its in RLs best interest to make the most they can

They don't care about if you or I cant go, just that the most that can go do, and for the highest price they can set and still fill the joint

Supply and demand, as long as it keeps selling out the price is very unlikely to drop

Don't get me wrong i can't afford that much either, but obviously enough can and will, and its in RLs best interest to make the most they can

They don't care about if you or I cant go, just that the most that can go do, and for the highest price they can set and still fill the joint

Supply and demand, as long as it keeps selling out the price is very unlikely to drop
But it won’t sellout they will end up giving tickets away.
The game needs to look at the bigger picture and find a balance between profits and getting people to feel wanted by the game.
Don’t forget origin is on every year so good luck getting people to pay those prices year in and year out.

greenBV4

Bench
Don’t forget origin is on every year so good luck getting people to pay those prices year in and year out.
Tbf tho they don't care if a particular person goes every year or not, just that "someone" does - if anything its more beneficial for new people to be going each year anyway

Agree that they need the best balance between ticket price and paying attendance, but surely they already know this and are pricing accordingly

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh I get they need to make most revenue they can out of it and as long as sells out then I suppose pricing is right, I wonder how many they end up selling cheap or giving away though and how long they can keep that price up. Taking games to other cities helps as well.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
They never really get the pricing right. The only time the gouging worked was for the 2017 decider. Every origin since 2016 they have had to firesell. So the economics have failed.

I ended up in bay 602 for $80 a pop in 2018, the chaps beside me paid $340.

Some ANZ origins they have sold two tickets for $50 with the code “skyblue” and people were scoring tickets in 400 numbered bays. The rort might not always maximise revenue as much as some think. They aren’t fireselling for tonight and that could be because a little bit of social distancing won’t be frowned upon.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Mate, it usually sells out which tells you they've got it right. If you sell out a stadium in 15 mins it suggests you've left lots of money on the table which means you are not maximising revenue from the game's biggest asset which flows on to things like grass roots funding (amongst other things of course).

If the games don't sell out in the future then they'll adjust the price to suit the demand. I think you'll find though that fear over the pandemic has something to do with the equation this year as those prices haven't meant that the games haven't been sold out in previous seasons.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Mate, it usually sells out which tells you they've got it right. If you sell out a stadium in 15 mins it suggests you've left lots of money on the table which means you are not maximising revenue from the game's biggest asset which flows on to things like grass roots funding (amongst other things of course).

If the games don't sell out in the future then they'll adjust the price to suit the demand. I think you'll find though that fear over the pandemic has something to do with the equation this year as those prices haven't meant that the games haven't been sold out in previous seasons.

The games only sell out because of a firesell. I don’t argue that in the early 2000-10s it was too cheap and selling out too quickly. I feel they need a reduction in price of about 25-30% per pricing category and bring back the concession and child prices for each to avoid the last minute heavy reductions. Evidence of why is detailed in my last post.

The games only sell out because of a firesell. I don’t argue that in the early 2000-10s it was too cheap and selling out too quickly. I feel they need a reduction in price of about 25-30% per pricing category and bring back the concession and child prices for each to avoid the last minute heavy reductions. Evidence of why is detailed in my last post.
Exactly, those that are saying get every last cent out of the paying public are just wrong.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I don't disagree entirely but the tactics currently being employed are working (i.e. selling out games) and even if the last few tickets are discounted to get rid of them, the overall revenue result is probably better. If it wasn't then they wouldn't be doing it that way.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Exactly, those that are saying get every last cent out of the paying public are just wrong.

I'm not saying get every last cent out of the public, I'm saying get every last cent for Rugby League. The AFL do it with their GF and we deserve top dollar for our major events too. The money flows back to the game.

I don't disagree entirely but the tactics currently being employed are working (i.e. selling out games) and even if the last few tickets are discounted to get rid of them, the overall revenue result is probably better. If it wasn't then they wouldn't be doing it that way.
But it’s not working, the game is not sold out even with 2000 freebies.
There are tickets available in three categories, it’s such a short sighted view to try to extract every penny possible you want kids and your average punter to be able to attend games that’s where long term you will get the best ROI.

Big Moose

Juniors
But it’s not working, the game is not sold out even with 2000 freebies.
There are tickets available in three categories, it’s such a short sighted view to try to extract every penny possible you want kids and your average punter to be able to attend games that’s where long term you will get the best ROI.

They have to remember it’s the working people’s game. They can make money in other ways rather than gouging the people who are the true fans. Nothing worse than empty seats when its live on tv. Maybe they can work closer with the government seeing as they happily paid the AFL $30m to play their game in Qld

Latest posts