What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Crichton

Maddragon99

Juniors
Yeah, yeah’: Crichton admits to the Panthers handshake deal his agent says never happened
67eaae01efad300eb6d882a2b82bd27e

Stephen Crichton’s market value has increased more than the amount he verbally agreed on since being named in the Blues’ extended squad. Digital image by Grant Trouville � NRL Photos.
The speculation surrounding whether Panthers gun Stephen Crichton did or didn’t make a handshake deal with coach Ivan Cleary can finally be put to bed with the star centre admitting he did in fact make a verbal agreement to remain at the club.

It was revealed byThe Sydney Morning Heraldon Monday that Crichton admitted to the agreement before the grand final. However, the 20-year-old’s admission goes against his new management, who on Sunday were reported as being “bemused” by the ongoing claims of a handshake deal between Crichton and Cleary on a three-year extension worth $1.5 million.

It comes amid reports the Panthers will end the stand-off by finally rubberstamping the three-year deal before looking to make Crichton a “Panther for life.”

Watch State of Origin II REPLAY on Kayo with no ad-breaks during play and Fox League Commentary. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly

It’s been previously reported that Crichton shook hands with Cleary and vowed to honour a three-year deal worth $1.5 million four months ago. The Panthers have stuck strong on this and expect Crichton to do the same.

Why it wasn’t signed off on then and there is because the club was happy to hold off until he parted ways with his former manager, Mark Stewart.

Crichton has now secured the services of player agent Sam Ayoub, meaning the deal should be good to go. However Channel 9’s Danny Weidler reported on Sunday that “Crichton’s camp” are actually “bemused to say the least” about the supposed handshake deal.

placeholder.jpg

But in a fresh twist to the ongoing saga, the Herald has revealed the star centre actually admitted to the handshake deal during the week leading up to the grand final.

The following was put to Crichton on October 18: “I heard that you shook hands with Ivan and said ‘I’m not going to change my mind, a deal is a deal’. A verbal agreement. Is that right?”

To which he said: “Yeah, yeah,” before backtracking a little.

ORIGIN LATE MAIL: Young gun’s mystery absence, Blues flyer racing clock

BIG HINT: Cameron Smith reveals Storm message as decision on future looms

“I’m just trying to see what’s best for me and my family, especially because I’m the only one at home paying off and helping my mum and dad. I really want to get a good deal, good enough so my parents don’t have to work any more,” Crichton added.

“I’m the only one at home, I’m the oldest one at home as well because my brothers have all moved out of home with their families and kids. My parents are relying on me so, yeah. I’m just trying to sort out what the best deal is for me and my family and what’s really going to help us. I want to stay at Penrith, but, yeah.

“I’ve told Ivan that I really want to stay here. But I just want to see what the best deal for my family is.”

There have been growing concerns Crichton would backflip on the verbal agreement and Weidler says the talk of that very deal could be what costs Penrith their young star.

“The more that (the deal) is suggested, the greater the chance there could be a problem,” he wrote on Sunday.

Since Crichton shook hands with Cleary, he’s gone on to be named one of the Dally M Centres of the Year and secure a spot in the NSW Blues’ extended squad so it’s easy to see why Crichton and Ayoub believe the towering centre, who is contracted until the end of 2021, is worth more than $500,000 a season.

placeholder.jpg

Penrith, however, are keen to secure their man not only on that three-year deal — but for life — although The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield, believes they’ll have to increase the deal from what was originally agreed upon.

“It’s a really interesting story this one,” Rothfield told Sky Sports Radio’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“Stephen Crichton wants to stay at Penrith. I’m convinced he will stay but I think the Panthers are going to have to pay him closer to market value than the $500,000 that this handshake (deal) happened with.”

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now >

Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher told The Daily Telegraphthe club is confident it will officially sign Crichton for the three-years before locking him in for life — and will discuss it in a recruitment meeting on Monday.

“He won’t be going anywhere,” Fletcher said.

“Our negotiations will continue to finalise a deal where we see the young kid stay here hopefully for an extension of three years and then hopefully be a Panther for life.

“When you keep the right players, you want to make sure you’ve got them long-term.

“It will be further discussed on Monday morning. It’s a matter of furthering the deal and then finalising a contract in the best interests of both parties.

“Stephen lives in the local area with Brian To’o and Jarome Luai. He will be a Panther, for sure. We have to look after the kid and we have to look after Penrith and we are confident all that will happen.”

placeholder.jpg

Despite the speculation, Fletcher was adamant that Crichton would remain at the club.

“No, not at all,” he said when asked if he feared Crichton would join a rival.

“Nothing has changed from Penrith’s point of view — the only thing that has changed was that the Crichton family wanted to change manager, which they have now done.”

redVinme

Juniors
How the media is saying panthers will have to play closer to market value rather than 500k is a joke. There would only be a handful of centres on more than that. Usually through poor cap management too. If he transitions to fb that's another story

possm

Coach
We don't need Stephen Crichton, we need a top-line prop and edge forward. I would love to trade Norman and Hunt for a few such players

thebigredv

First Grade
You might be able to trade them for a hot turd but not much more

We shouldn't have to trade in anyone else to sign a few decent players. Compare the current squad to 2 years ago and you will clearly see we have lost millions of dollars worth of players, some quality, others booted far too late.

Point being we should be able to sign Ctichton, Ofa and a quality replacement for Frizell without dramas. Hoping when cap is announced something like this happens.

Thanks McGregor for your amazing legacy.

possm

Coach
We shouldn't have to trade in anyone else to sign a few decent players. Compare the current squad to 2 years ago and you will clearly see we have lost millions of dollars worth of players, some quality, others booted far too late.

Point being we should be able to sign Ctichton, Ofa and a quality replacement for Frizell without dramas. Hoping when cap is announced something like this happens.

Thanks McGregor for your amazing legacy.
Crichton is a winger. We have:
Ramsey
Ravalawa
Pereira
Feagai
and Schiller, Sloan and a couple of others coming through. Crighton would be a block to the progress/development of our young gun wingers.

We have no idea of the state of our salary cap right now. The way our club is behaving with recruitment, I'd say it is in a mess.

Hun and Norman take a big chunk of our salary cap for 2021. Ifwe could off-load these two and replace them with Bird and Sullivan, there would be much more cap available to pay for some good forwards.

redVinme

Juniors
Ramsey
Ravalawa
Pereira
Feagai
and Schiller, Sloan and a couple of others coming through. Crighton would be a block to the progress/development of our young gun wingers.

We have no idea of the state of our salary cap right now. The way our club is behaving with recruitment, I'd say it is in a mess.

Hun and Norman take a big chunk of our salary cap for 2021. Ifwe could off-load these two and replace them with Bird and Sullivan, there would be much more cap available to pay for some good forwards.

He's a centre/fullback. If you're gonna argue at least know the facts pos

BLM01

First Grade
Ramsey
Ravalawa
Pereira
Feagai

Are we talking about the same Crichton?
the centre from Penrith that’s looking for more money than Penrith are offering
not the Canterbury winger
But I suppose it’s your thread do you tell us
it was just the title said Stephen

Haha, sorry. But don't sign Stephen Crichton because he would block the development path of our young guns? He isn't James Roberts. He is the gunnest of all the young ones.