What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Drugs, sex, domestic violence: football's dark cover up

blue bags

First Grade
Read the full transcript of Phoebe Burgess's bizarre call to Triple Zero after her footy star ex-husband Sam, 31, allegedly assaulted her father at rural estate where they were married
  • Sam Burgess has faced a hearing over two charges of assaulting his father-in-law
  • Retired NRL legend was charged with assaulting Mitchell Hooke in October 2019
  • Burgess, 31, had two kids with glamorous journalist Phoebe Hooke before split
  • Moss Vale Local Court saw Burgess face off against members of the Hooke clan
  • A Triple Zero call made by Phoebe on October 19, 2019, was played to the court
By STEPHEN GIBBS and JOSH HANRAHAN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 20:05 AEDT, 16 November 2020 | UPDATED: 20:05 AEDT, 16 November 2020

Phoebe Burgess called Triple Zero after an alleged altercation between husband Sam and her father Mitchell Hooke at the family's estate on October 19, 2019.

A recording of the phone call made by the glamorous ex-journalist on the afternoon of the October 2019 incident was played in full in Moss Vale Local Court on Monday.

Burgess, 31, is facing a hearing on two charges of intimidation and assault.
Before making the call to Triple Zero, the court heard Phoebe tried to ring Brisbane QC Sydney Williams, a family friend, and spoke to her solicitor Carly Middleton.

In the recording, Phoebe said she wanted to 'report' the incident but admitted they 'did not need' immediate police assistance.

READ THE FULL TRANSCRIPT OF THE TRIPLE ZERO CALL BELOW:

Phoebe's call to Triple Zero after Sam allegedly assaulted her Dad

Phoebe: Oh look I don't, I'm just reporting something that's happened in my home, um.

Operator: Yes. What's your address there?

Um we're at (address suppressed).

(Address suppressed)?

Yeah

Yeah I don't need anyone here, I just need to report something.

Yeah that's OK, let me just get up the address, how do you spell your street?

Um, (address suppressed)

Your street?

Yeah, yeah.

Yep, so (address suppressed)

No, no, sorry, the street is (address suppressed)

Yep and sorry and the town?

(Address suppressed)

Yep, is that at Daffodil Downs?

Yeah that's that.

OK and your nearest corner street there?

(Address suppressed)

Look I'm just a bit shaken up, I'm just going through, uh, my husband and I are going through a bit of a separation at the moment.

Yep.

Um, and I've left him with the children and I've come home and he, um, he was supposed to have left when I arrived home and I repeatedly told him I didn't want to see him, so he has threatened and abused my father, who is the children's grandfather who was supervising the visit (begins to cry).

Yeah, OK, alrighty, what's your husband's name?

It's Sam Burgess, so it can't be made public but I just need to report it cause he's still in the area and he's really angry (crying).

Sam Burgess, his mum Julie and leading solicitor Bryan Wrench leave Moss Vale Local Court on Monday

Yeah, OK, is there any weapons on him?

Oh, I don't imagine so.

OK, and is your dad or the kids, or no ones injured?

No, everyone's OK.

We don't need an ambulance?

No, no, no, no.

And have you guys got AVOs?

No, I didn't want to do that, but his just um...

OK, and how many kids have you got there?

He's done this to me, too, he's done this to me.

OK, and are the kids with you or with him?

No, they were with him.

Where are the kids now?

Yep, yeah, my mums putting my son now and my daughter is with my sister.

OK, is he likely to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol?

Uh, well...

Normally, or?

Yeah, normally, that's what we've been going through (crying).

Yeah, OK, alrighty.

I trusted him!

What was your name?

My name's Phoebe Burgess, I trusted him... (crying).

Yeah.

And I have to report this because he is not supposed to behave like this on someone else's property (crying).

Yeah, Phoebe, it definitely sounds like a hard situation for everyone, what I'm going to do, I'm going to send the police to see you.

Phoebe Burgess leaves court alongside her mother Sarah Hooke on Monday

Oh, is it necessary, do you reckon?

Yeah, look, it is.

OK.

We just have a duty of care, we want to make sure that you're OK and just help you work out the best way we are going to deal with this, what was your date of birth?

Um, 18th of April, 1989, I promise we're all fine, I just know that, I got, I got lawyers for this exact reason, um, and I...

Yeah that's OK, so Phoebe, we want to come and check on you because we do have a duty of care, I know you say you're fine, but we'll come down just to have a chat and then we'll go from there. What time was it that he abused, um verbally abused his dad?

Hm, he's only just left and I blocked his calls.

Alrighty and what sort of car does he drive?

Um, his in a white BMW and obviously, and I'm just saying this, I don't want this to be public for him, I just, he's in a white BMW, I just know he's angry, and I know he's alone and he's just acting like a f***ing idiot.

Yeah, alrighty. what we'll do Phoebe, we'll get someone down there to help you at (address suppressed).

Yep

...if he comes back and there's any further drama before we get there, call Triple Zero immediately, OK?

I don't think he will, I think he's gone now.

Do you know his date of birth at all?

His date of birth?

Yep.

Yeah, it's the 14th of December '88.

Mkay, alrighty, no problem and your dad is definitely not injured?

No, no, he's 60 years old and it's just, he's just shaken up (Phoebe starts crying).

Yeah.

He's a great man, I just can't believe he'd do that to my 60-year-old father (Crying).

Yeah, for sure I totally understand, we'll come down and have a chat and help you out. Any mental health conditions for him or anyone in the house?

No we're all fine, Sam's not fine, he's going through a lot of things.

Is it Sam or Dan?

Sam, Sam Burgess.

Sam, alright sorry, it's a bit of a bad line Phoebe.

Sorry.

35720028-8952755-image-m-73_1605505303272.jpg

Phoebe Burgess (centre) called Triple Zero after an alleged altercation between ex-husband Sam (right) and her father Mitchell Hooke (left) at the family's country estate in October 2019

That's OK, and your best phone number?

(Phone number suppressed)

No worries, alright Phoebe I'm really sorry everyone's been through that, we will come down and have a chat to you.

I appreciate you being so understanding, thank you.

Yeah, look's it's definitely a tough situation, but we will come down and have a chat to you, OK? Like I said...

He's just, he's just done it to me so many times, and I didn't ever realise it was bad and, and my dad said that's just horrific.

Yeah, I, uh, imagine that it probably is, if he turns up, Like I said Phoebe before we get there, just call us.

Alright thank you. Bye.

No problems Phoebe, we will be there as soon as we can.

We're OK, yep, we're all right.

Sam Burgess: Phoebe's bizarre Triple Zero call after alleged assault
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...bizarre-Triple-Zero-call-alleged-assault.html

blue bags

First Grade
Burgess's ex-wife calls NRL system 'toxic'
By AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 18:53 AEDT, 16 November 2020 | UPDATED: 18:53 AEDT, 16 November 2020
Sam Burgess's ex-wife leaked her police statement to a national newspaper to combat the "toxic" covering-up culture of the NRL, a court has heard.

Phoebe Burgess appeared before the Moss Vale Local Court on Monday after allegations her ex-husband threatened her father in his NSW Southern Highlands home in October 2019.

Burgess's lawyer Phillip Boulten SC accused his former wife of trying to destroy his reputation following the publication of an explosive front-page article in The Australian.

But Ms Burgess said journalists approached her about rumours, and she handed over a document prepared for her lawyer "instead of covering it up, which is so typical of the system I was part of, that I believe is toxic within the NRL".

Burgess's defence also accused her father of telling his son-in-law during the argument: "I'm going to destroy you, if it's the last thing I do I'm going to destroy you and your career".

Mitchell Hooke denies the allegation and said he never experienced such "fear" before the argument with the ex-NRL star.

The former Minerals Council chief executive said Burgess had refused to leave his home before he "went off" yelling at him from about 20cm away, repeatedly telling him: "I'm going to get you".

"I remember the finger and it being right in my face," he said.

"And the look, I've not seen it before. He was wild. He was yelling. Not quite screaming but yelling, loud and aggressive in my face, it was enraged hate.

"I was terrified, I've never felt fear like it. My whole body went cold."

Burgess continued to hurl expletive-riddled abuse at the 64-year-old man as he got into his car and sped away from the property, he said.

Mr Hooke's daughter Phoebe Burgess also gave evidence earlier about a call she said she was not expecting from her father.

"He was emotional and shaky, he wasn't making a lot of sense, saying he's OK: 'He's gone, he had wild eyes ... he just came at me'," she said.

Former South Sydney captain Burgess, 31, has pleaded not guilty to stalking or intimidating with the intention to cause fear or physical harm, while an apprehended violence order has been taken out on behalf of Mr Hooke by the police.

Shortly after returning to the Glenquarry home Ms Burgess was told by another family member: "Pheeb he just went off".

Ms Burgess said her father's mouth was dry and he was visibly shaken.

"Never seen my father quite like that before... he was wobbly on his feet."

Burgess's defence has accused her and her father of seeking legal advice before calling the police shortly after the incident occurred, with phone records showing both did contact lawyers.

Before Ms Burgess left the stand she became teary, saying it was against her instinct to call the police.

"I thought it was the ultimate betrayal, I didn't want to call the police."

CCTV footage was played in court showing Burgess interacting and taking pictures with fans while drinking four beers before he was due to visit the Southern Highlands home.

Burgess retired in 2019 after a 270-game NRL and English Super League career.

He stood down from roles as a commentator and South Sydney assistant coach in October.

The hearing is expected to continue early next year.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-8952943/Burgesss-ex-wife-calls-NRL-toxic.html

blue bags

First Grade
Sam Burgess' HUGE win in court: NRL star will be allowed to probe his estranged wife and father-in-law on how bombshell allegations ended up in the national media - after claiming one of them leaked information to damage his reputation
  • Burgess, 31, is alleged to have intimidated his wife Phoebe's father Mitch Hooke
  • The retired NRL star is banned from approaching or contacting his father-in-law
  • NRL and police are investigating accusations about Sam Burgess's personal life
  • That follows a bombshell report last month about Burgess' alleged party habits
  • Burgess has stepped down from his role at Souths and denied all the allegations
  • His lawyer has accused Phoebe Burgess or her father of leaking a police report
By STEPHEN GIBBS and DANIEL PIOTROWSKI FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

Lawyers for Sam Burgess have won the right to access all communications between a newspaper that published a bombshell report about the rugby league star, his wife and father-in-law.

The former South Sydney Rabbitohs player, 31, will next Monday fight charges he intimidated his father-in-law Mitchell Hooke at his home in the NSW Southern Highlands in October last year.

But Magistrate Ian Cheetham this week made a major decision - confirmed to Daily Mail Australia - which raises the stakes in what is shaping up to be one of the most explosive celebrity legal battles in years.

A report in The Australian last month made claims about Burgess' alleged party habits, directly quoted his father-in-law and a 50-page police report that had been submitted by his wife.

Magistrate Cheetham this week ruled Burgess' lawyers will be granted access to any communications between the newspaper and the pair.

'His Honour made orders granting access to the parties to the subpoenaed material,' a spokeswoman for NSW Courts said.

Lawyers for Sam Burgess (on right) have won the right to access communications between The Australian newspaper and his estranged wife, Phoebe, and father-in-law, Mitch Hooke

Burgess will face a hearing into charges he intimidated and assaulted his father-in-law Mitchell Hooke at Moss Vale Local Court next week. Mr Hooke and his daughter Phoebe will give evidence at the hearing

The subpoena will compel Phoebe and Mr Hooke to provide any communication they had with The Australian.

It is part of an attempt by Burgess' team to uncover all details of the timing, making and distribution of Phoebe's statement to police.
The statement contained untested claims about his lifestyle and accusations about his conduct to his 31-year-old wife, and parts were published in the newspaper.

Burgess' solicitor, Bryan Wrench, told the court last month that the release of Phoebe's statement was an attempt to 'ambush' his client.

He has suggested in court that the statement was 'orchestrated propaganda' and said it was made to police just days prior to it appearing in The Australian.

The significance of the magistrate's decision is that Mr Hooke and Ms Burgess may be grilled about any involvement they had in the article in court.

Burgess' legal team wants to cross examine Mr Hooke and his daughter about any inconsistencies between what they may have told The Australian and what they said to police in October last year.

Barrister Philip Strickland SC for Burgess told Magistrate Cheetham last Monday that 'it was on the cards' that either Mr Hooke, 64, or Ms Burgess were in communication with the newspaper about the story.

Lawyers for Sam Burgess (pictured) will attack the credibility of his father-in-law when charges of intimidation and assault against the footballer are heard next week. Burgess, 31, smiled last month as he held hands with daughter Poppy, three, and son Billy, one

Philip Strickland SC, for Burgess, accused the footballer's ex-wife Phoebe (right) and her dad Mitchell Hooke (left) of speaking to The Australian newspaper before a bombshell article

Burgess's solicitor Bryan Wrench (left, walking into Picton Local Court on Monday) made similar claims last month

35457052-8926085-image-m-6_1604898927030.jpg

Mr Strickland told the court Mr Hooke had spoken to a journalist about allegations against his son-in-law knowing that would result in damage to Burgess's reputation

Burgess' lawyers are poised to attack Mr Hooke's credibility when the hearing into the footballer's charges is held on Monday.

Philip Strickland SC for Burgess told Picton Local Court last week that Mr Hooke's credibility would be a 'critical issue' at the hearing.

'It will be suggested fair and square to Mr Hooke that he is a biased witness or that he has a bias against the accused,' Mr Strickland said.

Mr Hooke is the father of Burgess's ex-wife Phoebe with whom the Englishman shares two children.

Mr Strickland said Mr Hooke had spoken to a journalist about allegations against his son-in-law knowing that would result in damage to Burgess's reputation.

Burgess is pleading not guilty to the intimidation charge against Mr Hooke, who is also the subject of an interim apprehended violence order protecting him from the retired South Sydney captain.

Burgess is also pleading not guilty to a back-up charge of common assault laid over the same alleged incident at 64-year-old Mr Hooke's home last October.

Mr Wrench discusses legal matters outside Picton Local Court on Monday, where he will return next week for a hearing

Non-publication orders related to statements made by Mr Hooke and Phoebe Burgess as well as a Triple Zero call made by her were issued by magistrate Ian Cheetham in Picton Local Court

Ms Burgess's 50-page statement to police contained unrelated allegations of domestic violence.

While parts were published in The Australian, it has never been tendered in full to a court.

Mr Strickland said 'it was on the cards' that either Mr Hooke or his daughter - or both - were in discussions with the newspaper prior to the article's publication.

Sam Burgess WINS right to Phoebe, Mitch Hooke's communications with The Australian
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-Mitch-Hookes-communications-Australian.html

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-16_22-34-27.gif
    upload_2020-11-16_22-34-27.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 2
  • upload_2020-11-16_22-34-27.gif
    upload_2020-11-16_22-34-27.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 1

blue bags

First Grade
Mr Hooke had been quoted about last year's alleged confrontation with Burgess in the article.

'He has made statements to The Australian about this incident,' Mr Stickland told the court.

'Your Honour, it is on the cards that both Mitchell Hooke and Phoebe (Burgess) have communicated to The Australian.'

Phoebe Burgess shares video from self-isolation at home with family

Solicitor Bryan Wrench, for Burgess, last month told Moss Vale Local Court the publication of Phoebe's statement was part of an attempt to 'ambush' his client.

Mr Wrench accused Phoebe or her father of leaking the allegations about Burgess which were published in The Australian on October 2 and 4.

He had sought access to Phoebe's statement and objected to it having appeared in the media without being tendered in court.

Burgess's legal team wants to cross examine Mr Hooke and his daughter about any inconsistencies between what they told The Australian and what they said to police in October last year.

'The circumstances of the release of that statement confirm the animosity towards my client,' Mr Wrench said.

'They've tried to ambush us.'

Mr Wrench said police had confirmed to him that Phoebe made the statement in late October, just days before some of its contents were published.

'A statement was made on a certain date and that statement was given to The Australian,' Mr Wrench told the court.

'The police at no point released that statement to The Australian.'

Burgess was joined by Luke and his daughter Grace at Air Locker Training in Bondi on October 15, the first time he had been seen in public for some weeks (pictured)

Phoebe Burgess returned to Instagram on October 11 after a 10-day absence, posting two photos taken at her parents' Southern Highlands estate. She is pictured with daughter Poppy

Mr Wrench has suggested the document was deliberately leaked to the media ahead of the intimidation and assault charges being heard.

'There's been nothing done about the investigation of why the statement was released,' Mr Wrench said.

Police prosecutor Inspector Jamie Palmer said Phoebe's statement did not form part of the intimidation and assault case or AVO application against Burgess.

Instead it was being used in a separate investigation into the 2014 NRL premiership winner's behaviour.

Mr Wrench has previously suggested Phoebe Burgess or her father Mr Hooke might have committed contempt of court by co-operating with the media.

The lawyer first raised his concerns about the father and daughter's conduct during an earlier mention of the intimidation and assault charges and AVO on October 7.

Mr Hooke is pictured driving a ride-on wheelbarrow around his Southern Highlands property, where Sam and Phoebe married in 2015

Mr Wrench said Phoebe's police statement had not been filed in court or provided to Burgess but was quoted at length by The Australian in what he described as 'orchestrated propaganda'.

'To be quite blunt, it appears that this is born out of either malice or retaliation,' Mr Wrench told the court.

He said his client 'categorically denied' the allegations of domestic violence made in the statement.

Burgess has not been required to appear in court for any of the mentions of the charges or AVO and neither has his father-in-law or ex-wife.

He was hit with an apprehended violence order taken out by police on behalf of Mr Hooke after an alleged confrontation between the pair on October 19, 2019.

Mr Wrench has previously accused Mr Hooke of making false allegations against his client, saying there had been 'no violence, no intimidation, no threats'.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-Mitch-Hookes-communications-Australian.html

gerg

Juniors
I've forgotten what the purpose of this court case is? Are both sides spending a shit tonne of money to just make the other side look like dickheads, custody battle, wankers wih too much money or something else?

Exsilium

First Grade
I've forgotten what the purpose of this court case is? Are both sides spending a shit tonne of money to just make the other side look like dickheads, custody battle, wankers wih too much money or something else?

A little from column A and a little from Column B

no name

Coach
Never heard of the f**ker!

Can’t imagine what must be going through Sam’s mind when he heard this part!
That’s what I thought.
It’s almost like she was thinking ‘don’t you know who we are?’
I’m surprised she didn’t say ‘Sam Burgess, the football player’.
Really seems like a nothing case, but provides a bit of filler for the rags reporting on it.

Chimp

Juniors
Think it’s mainly a case of a woman scorned using her intel for maximum revenge.
She very publicly forgave him for his very public ‘sexting’, only to then find out there’s a history of a string of other women behind her back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Think it’s mainly a case of a woman scorned using her intel for maximum revenge.
She very publicly forgave him for his very public ‘sexting’, only to then find out there’s a history of a string of other women behind her back.

how much is this costing the tax payer? Ffs it’s a case of a bloke, at worse, shouting at another bloke!

blue bags

First Grade
Phoebe Burgess and her father enjoy a family barbecue hours after admitting they leaked damaging allegations about her estranged NRL star husband Sam to the media
  • NRL star Sam Burgess wed Phoebe Hooke near Bowral, NSW, in December 2015
  • The couple separated in late 2018, reunited, then permanently split in late 2019
  • Burgess was involved in an alleged confrontation with Phoebe's father Mitchell
  • Police subsequently charged Burgess, 31, with intimidation and common assault
  • Unrelated allegations against Burgess were published by newspaper last month
  • In court on Monday, Phoebe admitted leaking the documents to The Australian
By KELSEY WILKIE and STEPHEN GIBBS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 08:59 AEDT, 17 November 2020 | UPDATED: 10:47 AEDT, 17 November 2020

Phoebe Burgess and her family gathered for a barbecue just hours after a messy court hearing where she admitted to giving damaging documents about her ex-husband Sam to a newspaper.

Most of the family attended the dinner on Monday night following the hearing at Moss Vale Court, where NRL star Sam is defending charges of assault and intimidation against Phoebe's father Mitchell Hooke.

Phoebe looked relaxed in a long blue dress and no shoes, and even smiled as her mother Sarah filmed the dinner

The family appeared to be in high spirits as they sat down for the meal while the sun began to set.

Phoebe Burgess' family gather for a barbecue after court hearing

35746088-8955117-image-m-11_1605558444227.jpg

Phoebe Burgess and her family gathered for a barbecue just hours after the messy court hearing where she admitted to giving damaging documents about her ex-husband Sam to a newspaper

35746082-8955117-image-m-10_1605558428740.jpg

The family appeared to be in high spirits as they sat down for the meal as the sun began to set

Phoebe's sister Harriet and brother-in-law Gene Fairbanks were spotted at the table in the footage, which was posted to Instagram.

Family patriarch Mr Hooke can be seen at the head of the table, enjoying the night's festivities.

Children can be seen playing on the grass and bouncing on the trampoline in the footage which was captioned 'Friends and family
The dinner marked the end to a long day in Moss Vale Court, where Phoebe was questioned over why she handed over the damaging documents to The Australian newspaper, which were used in a report accusing Burgess of domestic violence and wild partying.

Phillip Boulten SC asked if she had done so to help destroy her husband's reputation.

Phoebe: 'No, I don't agree with that.'

Phoebe looked relaxed, wearing a long blue dress and no shoes, and even smiled as her mother Sarah filmed the dinner

Phoebe's sister Harriet (pictured) and brother-in-law Gene Fairbanks can be spotted at the table in the footage which was posted to Instagram

The mother-of-two said she was contacted by The Australian 'about certain matters, certain rumours that had been circulating' about her husband.

She had cooperated with the paper, leading to the bombshell October 2 article.

'Instead of covering up, which is so typical of the system that I was a part of, instead of working alongside that systemic cover up that I believe is toxic within the NRL,' Phoebe told the court

'I gave it to what I thought was a trustworthy publication so that I was not covering up a system that I believe failed myself... and failed Sam Burgess.'

Mr Boulten asked if Phoebe had known giving documents to The Australian would cause 'significant damage' to Burgess's reputation.

'If that was the consequence of truth being told then I understand that that would have been a by-product of these events,' she said.

The court heard that Sam's ex-wife Phoebe and her father Mitchell Hooke had leaked evidence to The Australian ahead of the pending court date

Sam Burgess (left), his mum Julie (back) and solicitor Bryan Wrench (right) leave Moss Vale Local Court on Monday after a lengthy day of hearing into assault charges against the ex-NRL star

The court heard that Sam's ex-wife Phoebe and her father Mitchell Hooke had leaked evidence to The Australian ahead of the pending court date

The revelation came during the hearing over two charges of assault which were laid against Sam Burgess following an alleged confrontation with her father Mitchell Hooke in October 2019.

The English-born rugby league legend is being supported in court by his mum Julie and a team of top legal representatives, while his ex-wife and her parents are also in court.

Mr Hooke was also called to give evidence and denied setting out to destroy the footballer's career after the breakdown of his marriage to wife Phoebe during questioning on Monday.

He did however admit to also talking to The Australian.

Mr Hooke said one of the authors of the article in The Australian, journalist Sharri Markson, had once been Phoebe's editor at a magazine.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...essy-court-hearing-involving-Sam-Burgess.html

blue bags

First Grade
He did however admit to also talking to The Australian.

Mr Hooke said one of the authors of the article in The Australian, journalist Sharri Markson, had once been Phoebe's editor at a magazine.

He had previously had professional dealings with Markson, having been interviewed by her upon his retirement.

Sarah, Harriet and Mitchell Hooke leave Moss Vale Local Court on Monday after supporting Phoebe

The NRL star's ex-wife smiled as she walked out of court with a policeman. Inside court she said she handed over the statements to prevent a 'toxic' cover-up of Burgess's behaviour by the league

Sam's ex-wife Phoebe leaves court after admitting to giving damaging documents about her ex-husband Sam to The Australian newspaper, but she denied she did so to destroy his reputation

He had also offered her advice before she appeared as part of a panel on a television program.

Markson had texted her to ask for an interview about the allegations against Burgess and he had agreed.

THE BURGESSES AND THE HOOKES:
2014: Sam Burgess and Phoebe Hooke meet at a concert for leading DJ Avicii

2015: The pair are married at Hooke's family estate outside Bowral, south of Sydney

2017: Phoebe and Sam welcome their first child, daughter Poppy

2018: Little over a year later, Phoebe gives birth to a son Billy

- The couple split just before Christmas

2019: On October 19, Sam is involved in an alleged altercation with father-in-law Mitchell Hooke. He is subsequently charged with two counts of assault

2020: The Australian publishes an article about Burgess's life and marriage on October 2

- He denies the allegations made in the article, with his lawyers claiming both his ex-wife and her father had leaked to the paper

- Details of the bitter fall out between the once happy couple is now playing out in Moss Vale Local Court

That interview had later been put into the form of a statutory declaration which Mr Hooke gave to police.

Burgess's lawyer put it to him that he had told Burgess: 'I'm going to destroy you if it's the last thing I do. I'm going to destroy you and your career.'

'You have taken steps to destroy his reputation as best as you can humanly do it,' Phillip Boulten SC said to Mr Hooke.

Mr Hooke, who denied that suggestion, said he was left in 'absolute terror' after a confrontation in which he claimed Burgess threatened to hit him in his own home.

The revelation came during a hearing in Moss Vale Local Court over two charges of assault which were laid against Burgess following the alleged confrontation back in October 2019.

Mr Hooke took to the witness stand and told the court on Monday that Burgess had initially seemed normal while visiting the house until told it was time to go.

'Sam said, "Nuh, no way." I said, "Sorry?" He said, "Nuh, this is f***ing inhumane". He said, "This is f***ing inhumane and you know it".'

Mr Hooke said Burgess had then stood up and walked across the room.

'I said to him, "You can't abuse me like that in my own home",' Mr Hooke told the court. 'In a place where we've provided you love and support and afforded you sanctuary.'

Mr Hooke said he did not recall Burgess telling him, 'You're a bad person. You're a bad person inside and you're bad outside. You've got a bad heart.'

He also denied telling Burgess, 'You run away from everything in your life', 'No one loves you' and 'Your family don't even love you.'

Mr Hooke further denied saying to Burgess about his property, Daffodil Downs: 'What have you done, Sam? All this could have been yours.'

Mr Hooke said Burgess responded by saying, 'F*** you, you're a piece of s***. You're just like your daughter. Your'e a piece of s***.'

'I was taken aback because I had never seen that behaviour directed at me by Sam before,' Mr Hooke said.

Sam Burgess arrives at Moss Vale Local Court on Monday ahead of a much-anticipated hearing on charges of intimidation and common assault

The retired NRL star was supported by his fiercely protective mother Julie (left) and armed with top Sydney silk Phillip Boulten SC as well as leading young solicitor Bryan Wrench (right)

'He said, "F*** you, you're a piece of s***". I said, "Sam, you've got to go".

'He came straight over, right in my face. He said, "F*** you. I'm going to get you. You've set all of this up." He was wild. He was yelling.

'I'm standing there, there's a six foot five, 118 kilo bloke threatening to beat me, threatening to hit me. I've never felt fear like it.

'I said, "You're going to hit a 64-year-old man?" And he said, "I'm going to get you, I'm going to f***ing get you." I said, "They're going to put you away Sam".'

Asked what he thought was going to happen next, Mr Hooke said: 'I was resigned to being hit. I had absolutely no doubt.'

Mr Hooke said Burgess's eyes were 'wild' and 'crazy'.

Dressed in a navy blue suit and carrying a black folder, a staunch looking Burgess walks into court alongside his mother Julie (left)

Mr Hooke (pictured with wife Sarah) was also called to give evidence and denied setting out to destroy the footballer's career after the breakdown of his marriage to wife Phoebe during questioning on Monday.

Mr Hooke told the court that while at his property visiting his children, Burgess had initially seemed normal while visiting the house until told it was time to go

'I had never been threatened like that in my life. And I had never had fear like that in my life.'

'He was swearing at me, "You're a piece of s***. Everybody who knows you, everybody I talk to says you're a f***ing piece of shit.'

Mr Hooke said he tried to reason with Burgess and calm him down.

'You're fighting with the NRL. You're fighting with your club. You're fighting with everybody,' he told him.

Mr Hooke said when he spoke to his daughter about the incident she said, 'Dad, you don't know what he's like, you don't know what he's capable of.'

Mr Hooke gave evidence of an earlier visit on October 16 at which Burgess spoke to him in a machinery shed about the breakdown of his marriage to Phoebe.

'It was calm, it was considered,' he said. 'It was awkward. Sam was very emotional.

'He opened up by saying he was unhappy. The reason the marriage had failed was because it was unhappy.'

Phoebe Burgess (right) arrives at Moss Vale Local Court alongside her mother Sarah (left)

While his wife and daughter entered through the front doors of the court, Mitchell Hooke went into court alone

Phoebe's call to Triple Zero after Sam allegedly assaulted her Dad
'I said: "Sam, you've got to learn to love yourself before you can love others. I you love somebody you'll die for them".'

Phoebe's younger sister Harriet was also three that day and said she saw Burgess standing over her father in a 'menacing stance
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...essy-court-hearing-involving-Sam-Burgess.html

blue bags

First Grade
Phoebe's younger sister Harriet was also three that day and said she saw Burgess standing over her father in a 'menacing stance' pointing his right finger at Mr Hooke.

'He said, "What kind of grandfather are you? Everyone that knows you hates you. I'm going to get you",' Ms Hooke said.

'I honestly didn't know what was going to happen because his behaviour was so erratic, he was so angry.'

Mr Hooke appeared to be in a state of shock after the incident.

'Normally Dad's very strong and talks a lot,' Ms Hooke said. 'That's just his personality.

'But this time he could barely put a sentence together. His voice was wavering. He was still shaky.'

In happier times: Burgess's lawyers have accused either his estranged wife Phoebe, his father-in-law Mitchell Hooke or both of leaking damaging claims about Burgess to the media. The three are pictured together

Bryan Wrench leaves court after representing Sam Burgess in 2019
The court was also played a recording of Triple Zero call made by Phoebe after the alleged incident.

In the call Phoebe told police: 'It's Sam Burgess but it can't be made public'.

In the Triple Zero call, Phoebe said she wanted to 'report' the incident but admitted they 'did not need' immediate police assistance.

But before making the call, the court heard Phoebe tried to ring Brisbane QC Sydney Williams, a family friend, and spoke to her solicitor Carly Middleton.

'Hi there,' Phoebe said in the call. 'I'm just reporting something that's just happened at my home.

'I don't need to have anyone here, I just need to report something.

'My husband and I are going through a bit of a separation at the moment.'
Sam Burgess married Phoebe Hooke at her family home just outside Bowral in the NSW Southern Highlands in December 2015. The couple had two children and split late last year

Burgess has pleaded not guilty to charges of intimidation and common assault after an alleged confrontation with his father-in-law Mitchell Hooke at the Hooke family home (pictured)

Phoebe then goes on to explain certain arrangements she had with Burgess in relation to their children.

'He has threatened and abused my father, who's the children's grandfather,' she says.

'It's Sam Burgess but it can't be made public. He's done this to me too.'

Phoebe assures police no one is physically injured and says there is no AVO in place against Burgess.

'We're all fine,' she says.

Burgess's father-in-law Mitchell Hooke was shaking and looked like he was having a panic attack after the confrontation with the NRL legend, the court heard.

Phoebe said she spoke to her father on the phone shortly after Burgess had left the family's home after visiting their children.

Mitchell Hooke ran the Minerals Council of Australia where he led the charge against prime minister Kevin Rudd's failed mining tax. He is pictured with daughters Phoebe (centre) and Harriet. Mr Hooke was made a member of the Order of Australia in 2016 (pictured)

On October 2 a report in The Australian newspaper made untested allegations of domestic violence by Burgess towards his wife, as well as claims of wild partying including drug use. Burgess and Phoebe are pictured

Phoebe had not been at the house because she did not want to see Burgess.

'It wasn't the call I was expecting to be honest,' Phoebe told Moss Vale Local Court on Monday.

'He was emotional and shakey. He wasn't making a lot of sense.'

Phoebe said when she returned to the family home her father told her Burgess had stood over him in a threatening manner.

'I asked Dad what happened,' she said. 'His mouth was dry. He was visibly shakey.

'I'd actually never seen my father quite like that before.

'He just kept saying: "It's OK. He just went at me, he just went at me".

'He looked at me like he was having a bit of an anxiety attack.'

Burgess's solicitor Bryan Wrench has suggested Phoebe or her father might have committed contempt of court by co-operating with the media in the preparation of a damaging story

Englishman Burgess was lured to the Rabbitohs by club part-owner and Hollywood star Russell Crowe and helped guide them to the 2014 premiership. Burgess is pictured with estranged wife Phoebe

'Dad said that Sam went off, that he started storming around the house.

'He then said Sam stood over him and he told him that he was going to get him.'

Phoebe said her father told her that when Burgess got into his car to leave he yelled through the window: 'Oh, you're so successful'.

'Everyone who knows you hates you,' Burgess allegedly said to Mr Hooke. 'Everyone who's met you hates you.'

Phoebe told the court: 'At that point I decided I was going to call the police.'

Phoebe and Sam married at the Hooke family estate just outside Bowral in the NSW Southern Highlands in December 2015.

Mr Hooke has denied bragging to Burgess that as CEO of the Minerals Council of Australia he had ended the prime ministership of Kevin Rudd.

In that role Mr Hooke had won a brutal fight over what was sometimes known as Mr Rudd's proposed

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-18_1-34-5.gif
    upload_2020-11-18_1-34-5.gif