What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardenia

Juniors
But why did the NRL have to launch the policy in the first place?

Rather than try and work out the perfect way to implement a stand down policy because we’re annoyed we lost a player, surely we should be working on a way to not need it at all?

one doesn’t cancel out the other .
You can do both . They are it seems By making an example of him and also player education.
Im doing my bit mate by raising a son to respect women . And that includes not to emotionally or verbally abuse as well as physical. Would you like me to go talk to every player also ?
There are campaigns on domestic violence . I would run one on consent but I’m a little short of funds .
It did stuff our season . it was handled very badly by the nrl and the club and it’s easy to say make it so it never happened or never will happen but that involves fixing society . It’s a bigger issue then just footy . Do you think respectable white collar men or women don’t disrespect or worse .

edited to say : I don’t assume what happened or any guilt or innocence and will respect the courts decision

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
one doesn’t cancel out the other .
You can do both . They are it seems By making an example of him and also player education.
Im doing my bit mate by raising a son to respect women . And that includes not to emotionally or verbally abuse as well as physical. Would you like me to go talk to every player also ?
There are campaigns on domestic violence . I would run one on consent but I’m a little short of funds .
It did stuff our season . it was handled very badly by the nrl and the club and it’s easy to say make it so it never happened or never will happen but that involves fixing society . It’s a bigger issue then just footy . Do you think respectable white collar men don’t abuse or women don’t abuse or assault people .
It’s not about minimising the issue by saying others do it.

The conversation amongst fans would be very, very different if it was a dud player up on charges instead of an elite one.

Whilst you’re here, you still haven’t elaborated on why fans were punished because of the stand down.

Gardenia

Juniors
It’s not about minimising the issue by saying others do it.

The conversation amongst fans would be very, very different if it was a dud player up on charges instead of an elite one.

Whilst you’re here, you still haven’t elaborated on why fans were punished because of the stand down.
Grrrrr how dare you say I’m minimising the issue . I haven’t read further and don’t intend to . Instead of singling me out why don’t you learn to listen and respect others opinions . I am not talking any further on this with you or being goaded into an argument.
Except to say the case is not concluded you don’t know what happened for a fact as yet besides from the fact he cheated on his partner which I don’t condone .
conversation over

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Grrrrr how dare you say I’m minimising the issue . I haven’t read further and don’t intend to . Instead of singling me out why don’t you learn to listen and respect others opinions . I am not talking any further on this with you or being goaded into an argument.
Except to say the case is not concluded you don’t know what happened for a fact as yet besides from the fact he cheated on his partner which I don’t condone .
conversation over
Who’s arguing?

And yes, saying that “white collar folk get get up to the same or worse” is minimising the issue of something playing out in the public eye like this.

Gardenia

Juniors
Who’s arguing?

And yes, saying that “white collar folk get get up to the same or worse” is minimising the issue of something playing out in the public eye like this.
We will have to agree to disagree on that

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
What issues would that be Muzby . Be very careful not to assume guilt or innocence before a court case has concluded. If found guilty happy to discuss then absolutely not before including all potential appeals .
Thats really simple. The charges that have been laid which caused the stand down.

That’s an issue, wouldn’t you say?

Gardenia

Juniors
Thats really simple. The charges that have been laid which caused the stand down.

That’s an issue, wouldn’t you say?[/

your telling the story .I said I didn’t want to get into it with you and you haven’t respected that boundary . I am asking you to stop .

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This is going around in circles.
Well not really.

I asked why we’re discussing the fair way to implement the stand down which doesn’t impact our club, rather than why we’ve reached the point where a stand down is needed.

I’ve also asked why it’s claimed that fans are being punished.

I’m still yet to get a clear answer on either.

getsmarty

Immortal
Cop ignored discrepancy: De Belin lawyer
  • National
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jack de Belin's lawyer has been cross-examining the detective who led the rape case investigation.
    The lead detective investigating the alleged rape by NRL star Jack de Belin and his friend did not pursue a discrepancy in police statements of central importance to the case, a jury has heard.

The police officer, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was cross-examined by de Belin's barrister, David Campbell SC, on Tuesday in Wollongong's District Court about witness statements that differed from the complainant's.

When the teenager initially accused the key St George Illawarra player and his friend Callan Sinclair of raping her in a Wollongong unit in December 2018, she never mentioned to police that another man was present in the apartment.

De Belin, 29, and his 23-year-old friend have pleaded not guilty to the aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman after meeting her in a bar nearby.

Two witnesses who made police statements around the time of the alleged assault said the woman had mentioned seeing another male in the vicinity.

But the lead investigator who took the complainant's statement never questioned her about this discrepancy.

"You couldn't get something more central.... at the very place she says she is sexually assaulted, another person turns up... didn't you consider this of central import?" Mr Campbell asked the police officer.

But the detective said he believed the issue was covered adequately in a police statement by the third man who was seen in the apartment.

Troy Martin had earlier told the court of seeing the accused duo standing with a naked woman on the bed in the bedroom.

Mr Martin initially lied when he told police that sometime during the night he heard sounds which seemed to come from outside before he went back to sleep.

Mr Campbell said it was "unthinkable for an officer in charge of the investigation" to not speak with the complainant following this revelation nor seek further clarification from Mr Martin.

Constable Benjamin Sutton assisting the officer in charge was also grilled about the lack of detailed notes taken throughout the investigation, as well as immediately following the initial complaint.

"Our priority was to get her to a hospital....the retention of that physical evidence was a priority at that time," Const Sutton said.

The officer could not recall making notes regarding many of his interactions with the young woman.

He also admitted serving a brief of "plainly privileged" material to the director of prosecutions.

"That should not have happened?" Mr Campbell asked, to which he responded: "In hindsight, no".

The detectives had intercepted and monitored both accuseds' phones for about two months following the allegations.

This resulted in more than 400 calls and 2000 messages from de Belin being monitored and reviewed, while Sinclair had a similar "vast amount" of mobile data retained.

It included a text message from de Delin about Mr Martin being home at the time the sexual activity took place.

"Broke into your house... Troy was there... haha whoops," the message read.

Despite three sources of information detailing another man being home during the incident, the "general of the troops" didn't question the woman about this, Mr Campbell said.

The trial continues.

Australian Associated Press
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/7016831/cop-ignored-discrepancy-de-belin-lawyer/?cs=7483

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
your telling the story .I said I didn’t want to get into it with you and you haven’t respected that boundary . I am asking you to stop .
That’s quite an amusing edit after I replied to your post.

Can you please help me understand your claim that fans have been punished?

be55

Juniors
That’s quite an amusing edit after I replied to your post.

Can you please help me understand your claim that fans have been punished?
Why don't you do some research on what trolling can do to people on the internet.

You always like to show everyone what a moralist you are, but here, a member has clearly asked you to respect his boundaries and for you to leave him alone, and you are continuing to harass him with no thought at all for what you are doing to him.

Why don't you grow up and leave Gardenia alone and stop acting like a ten year old child who's counting down the days until his balls drop...

He's asked you once to leave him alone, to any other adult that would be enough...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Why don't you do some research on what trolling can do to people on the internet.

You always like to show everyone what a moralist you are, but here, a member has clearly asked you to respect his boundaries and for you to leave him alone, and you are continuing to harass him with no thought at all for what you are doing to him.

Why don't you grow up and leave Gardenia alone and stop acting like a ten year old child who's counting down the days until his balls drop...

He's asked you once to leave him alone, to any other adult that would be enough...
Mate you have exhausted all avenues with this bloke - with respect it’s time you use the ‘ ignore option ‘ on your account settings .
Not sure why you two feel the need to get personal. That just ruins the thread.

I’m asking the guy to explain a post he made on a public forum as it makes no sense.

Discussing the issue, not the person. Not sure why you can’t delineate between the two.

If you actually read the thread you’d see he’s edited his thread to make that “stop” request after I replied to him.

Now, if you two could please stop your online bullying by telling others to avoid interacting with me that would be appreciated.

Crush

Coach
Not sure why you two feel the need to get personal. That just ruins the thread.

I’m asking the guy to explain a post he made on a public forum as it makes no sense.

Discussing the issue, not the person. Not sure why you can’t delineate between the two.

If you actually read the thread you’d see he’s edited his thread to make that “stop” request after I replied to him.

Now, if you two could please stop your online bullying by telling others to avoid interacting with me that would be appreciated.
Your trolling is jedi master level.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
^^ it’s always amusing when Overseas Dragon calls somebody else dumb when they can’t even use a quote function.

That aside, if you could please help me out given you’re so wise on the matter - how have fans been punished because of the stand down policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts