What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Both. Sounds like they've all decided to get what they can now and hold the salary cap to ransom instead of keeping a talented roster together.

If they have chosen to do that, it's very sad.

I'm still struggling to understand why Mansour is so cut. Yep I know he stayed twice for less. (how much less I have no idea)

I'm at a loss.

age.s

First Grade
If a player is too soft in wanting to stay because Mansour goes... Then they probably lack the mental toughness to be a FGer.
It is part of footy really

Who said they're wanting to leave "because" of Mansour?

The point is that if it's only about money, this team gets picked off. The talent level is just too high to stay together in the current NRL structure. The trump card we had was the morale. The boys wanting to stay loyal to each other and build a dynasty together. Yes it's an illusion but illusions can be powerful. Burning Mansour shatters that for a minor gain at best. The fruits can be seen in a few of the boys looking around now.

And you can't blame them. Sorry, but a few days ago plenty on this forum were waxing lyrical about how we didn't owe Sauce anything, how it was a business and we'd be best off ditching him now because there's a shinier, faster version who parses better in the football manager simulation that some on here seem to think footy boils down to. Well, the money other clubs are throwing around is pretty shiny too and the kids were just shown in no uncertain terms that this is just a business. They're responding accordingly.

WestyLife

First Grade
We shouldn't even be in a cap mess but here we are....

Indeed.

If they have chosen to do that, it's very sad.

I'm still struggling to understand why Mansour is so cut. Yep I know he stayed twice for less. (how much less I have no idea)

I'm at a loss.

The more I think about it the more I think the players are in the wrong on this.

Jane Murray

Bench

The point is that if it's only about money, this team gets picked off. The talent level is just too high to stay together in the current NRL structure. The trump card we had was the morale. The boys wanting to stay loyal to each other and build a dynasty together. Yes it's an illusion but illusions can be powerful. Burning Mansour shatters that for a minor gain at best. The fruits can be seen in a few of the boys looking around now.

And you can't blame them. Sorry, but a few days ago plenty on this forum were waxing lyrical about how we didn't owe Sauce anything, how it was a business and we'd be best off ditching him now because there's a shinier, faster version who parses better in the football manager simulation that some on here seem to think footy boils down to. Well, the money other clubs are throwing around is pretty shiny too and the kids were just shown in no uncertain terms that this is just a business. They're responding accordingly.

Apparently.

WestyLife

First Grade

On the flip side you are forced to play an aging winger for sentimentality sake. It's forgotten they stuck by him through serious injuries like the multi year deal post ACL (pretty sure it was signed while injured)

murraymob

First Grade
Any time you get upset with management just remember it could be worse.The tigers are average and have lost there 2 best forwards.
They may even go worse next year than they did this year

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Indeed.

The more I think about it the more I think the players are in the wrong on this.

Sorry I tend to agree.

This is how I see it.

Mansour (love him to pieces great clubman) Until this year was really struggling with his footy, injuries have cut him badly.

He's been very loyal, but also the club has been loyal to him too.

Has a great year this year. But Sauce is 30, he's getting slower by the day. The club chose to be honest with him and tell him that will be struggle to be in first grade in 2021....because of Staines being in the rear view lights.

Footy CEO and coach meet with him over breakfast.....Sauce has a dummy spit. I don't know what he thought Staines was going to do in 2021......sit inside a clear bubble and chat to himself.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
On the flip side you are forced to play an aging winger for sentimentality sake. It's forgotten they stuck by him through serious injuries like the multi year deal post ACL (pretty sure it was signed while injured)

And if it allowed us to keep guns like Leniu, Crichton and Burton for well under market value while providing a stable, experienced head who bleeds for the club and fires up the kids to bleed the same? How does that factor in?

Again, this isn't a spreadsheet. These are humans whos influence extends beyond how quickly they can run 100.

Let's not pretend Sauce was bad this year either.

franklin2323

Immortal
It is not that. They see a passionate loyal clubman who has taken less twice over his career shown the door.
They won't make the same mistakes. Cash in while you can before the club is done with you.

His record over the last few years would indicate that he got the loyalty back

WestyLife

First Grade
It doesn’t matter why Mansour is upset, what matters is the perception he was treated poorly. Combine it with the other mistakes and you have a bad situation.

And if it allowed us to keep guns like Leniu, Crichton and Burton for well under market value while providing a stable, experienced head who bleeds for the club and fires up the kids to bleed the same? How does that factor in?

Again, this isn't a spreadsheet. These are humans whos influence extends beyond how quickly they can run 100.

Indeed. I understand all that and maybe the club should've and done something differently. I do think the club has been good to him though.

franklin2323

Immortal

I get why they would go. So many desperate clubs out there. Pure business really not sure how the club can do anything different

Exsilium

First Grade

I genuinely believe our cap is so bad that even if we unload Mansour or even Whare, we still lose several players.

Black Diamond

Juniors
It is not that. They see a passionate loyal clubman who has taken less twice over his career shown the door.
They won't make the same mistakes. Cash in while you can before the club is done with you.
This is the most profound comment since Sauce was knifed in the back. Sure there may be younger more talented blokes than him but he was the heart and soul of the team and the flow on from him being turfed has had a ripple effect. You are so right, these young fellas won't make the same mistakes, they will look after themselves. Having a great team isn't always about having the best players in every position, there is more to team cohesion than that. You know the old saying a champion team will always beat a team of champions and its looking very much like our champion team is about to be ripped to shreds.

Not sure it would’ve allowed that, unless we’re talking about giving Mansour the minimum past 2021. He’d be expecting a lot more the minimum i expect, which means losing another player anyway.

Personally I think the club did Mansour a favour by telling him a year out, they could’ve strung him along. But I don’t think they handled it well only two days after the GF.

You can't make the players sign though. In most cases they will wait Managers know the system. The issue was so many off contract together

You can not release Hetherington until you’ve got Leniu locked up, you can ask Barrett to leave mid year, you can treat Mansour a little better, you can not take a handshake deal for granted.

All this adds up to poor management. They look amateur.

Fangs

Coach
Losing Leinu ain't an option. We have just let go of Tamou and Hetherington. Very disappointing if he leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts